MMA-UFC UFC 189 - Aldo (Mendes) v McGregor/Lawler v MacDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

It's good that Aldo and/or his camp realised it's better to look after his health than take the fight. This would have been a tough decision considering how much money he stood to make here. Cutting weight with busted ribs would be a nightmare. Then fighting a heavy handed guy after a (likely) terrible weight cut and with injured ribs would be a recipe for disaster.

I don't buy it that the UFC knew he was out and held the news back. They wanted him to fight. They released their statement playing down the injury. The NSAC released a statement saying that it was unlikely Aldo would be ruled out of the fight. They wanted him to fight and just like the UFC, the athletic commissions don't give a s**t about fighter safety. The UFC and the NSAC wanted him to fight and wouldn't care how injured he was as long as he was out there putting money in their pockets.

I don't think the result of McGregor/Mendes will be the best for determining who the better fighter is. Obviously we'll have to see how it plays out but I think the short notice nature of it makes it hard to come to any good conclusions after the fight.

McGregor loses and some will say it's proof that he can't wrestle or whatever. Mendes loses and they'll say that he wasn't prepared for the fight because he didn't have a full training camp. Then there'll be others who make excuses for McGregor if he loses and if he wins they'll say this fight confirms that he can fight wrestlers.

These conclusions might be real or they might not be and it'll probably be difficult to tell. I think McGregor and Mendes will fight again down the road and that fight would probably be a better indication of how these two match up.

I was thinking how it'd be fun for Mendes to derail the McGregor hype. But then I realised that really I want McGregor to win, so that the McGregor/Aldo title fight happens as soon as possible.

I don't think the result of McGregor/Mendes will be the best for determining who the better fighter is. Obviously we'll have to see how it plays out but I think the short notice nature of it makes it hard to come to any good conclusions after the fight.

McGregor loses and some will say it's proof that he can't wrestle or whatever. Mendes loses and they'll say that he wasn't prepared for the fight because he didn't have a full training camp. Then there'll be others who make excuses for McGregor if he loses and if he wins they'll say this fight confirms that he can fight wrestlers.

These conclusions might be real or they might not be and it'll probably be difficult to tell. I think McGregor and Mendes will fight again down the road and that fight would probably be a better indication of how these two match up.

I was thinking how it'd be fun for Mendes to derail the McGregor hype. But then I realised that really I want McGregor to win, so that the McGregor/Aldo title fight happens as soon as possible.
I think Beatdown put a good argument down that connor should of been training for some takedowns cause Aldo would def have the option to take him down and do it well, I think people forget Aldos ground game these changes have not changed my opinion on the card

Anyone watch the latest embeded is Connor staying at the TUF house? he is training in the tuf gym. its a ballsy move by the UFC to put mendes in there maybe Connor will be on par with sonnen at the end of all of this

giphy.gif

Not that it really matters, but it's been confirmed that Aldo's rib is fractured. Where did the UFC find their 'doctor(s)' that couldn't tell this was the case? They would have thrown him in their, claiming that he's right to go, so that they get the belt on who they want it on. Be good if there were some journalists in MMA that could ask some tough questions of people like Dana White. People who would ask tough questions aren't able to and people who can ask questions don't ask tough ones.

McGregor has some weird obsession regarding Aldo having female genitalia.

McGregor's 'trash talk' would be decent in a high school somewhere I guess. 'I can smell your pussy'. Calling Siver a Nazi. Saying Aldo just had period pain and was cleared by his gynaecologist. 'I'll rest my balls on your forehead'. Can't believe I'm saying this but hearing McGregor makes me miss Sonnen. He was actually funny, sometimes.

And now that I mention Sonnen, apparently he put Chad Mendes' phone number on facebook for all to see. Unless I'm missing something here, that's a dick move but it's also not surprising coming from him.

Not that it really matters, but it's been confirmed that Aldo's rib is fractured. Where did the UFC find their 'doctor(s)' that couldn't tell this was the case? They would have thrown him in their, claiming that he's right to go, so that they get the belt on who they want it on. Be good if there were some journalists in MMA that could ask some tough questions of people like Dana White. People who would ask tough questions aren't able to and people who can ask questions don't ask tough ones.

McGregor has some weird obsession regarding Aldo having female genitalia.

McGregor's 'trash talk' would be decent in a high school somewhere I guess. 'I can smell your pussy'. Calling Siver a Nazi. Saying Aldo just had period pain and was cleared by his gynaecologist. 'I'll rest my balls on your forehead'. Can't believe I'm saying this but hearing McGregor makes me miss Sonnen. He was actually funny, sometimes.

And now that I mention Sonnen, apparently he put Chad Mendes' phone number on facebook for all to see. Unless I'm missing something here, that's a dick move but it's also not surprising coming from him.

The Sonnen thing was in response to Mendes not being available for a phone call interview. Not an excuse but thats the reason Sonnen used.

prob difference between Connor and Sonnen at the end of the day was sonnen got some decent wins and had anderson to deal with connor could very well fall behind mendes , frankie and not even fight Aldo. UFC worst nightmare

I like the way you think...I really do.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched the latest embedded that was pretty s**t but he took it in his stride, he really looks like he can take all of Connors s**t pretty well. Like I said I am behind Mendes all the way I'm just worried how much bank roll conner is taking up

the embedded series has been pretty awesome but forget Connor for a bit what do you think about Lawler v Rory just watched there first fight I remember being a little bit shocked at the time and being a hendricks fan just saw rory as an extesion to GSP. time has changed and I so want Rory to win how do you guys see this play out over 5

the embedded series has been pretty awesome but forget Connor for a bit what do you think about Lawler v Rory just watched there first fight I remember being a little bit shocked at the time and being a hendricks fan just saw rory as an extesion to GSP. time has changed and I so want Rory to win how do you guys see this play out over 5
I got Rory winning with his range and wrestling, but I'd love to see robbie get the KO.

I got Rory winning with his range and wrestling, but I'd love to see robbie get the KO.
last time they met Rory was ranked #2 and Robbie rank #10 his power did bother him however I dont think he won his last fight and doesnt have enough for Rory

Embedded series has been very good, watch the countdown ep for Robbie V Rory last night too (because embedded has had nothing on their fight).

You can't count Robbie out but R-Mac is so good everywhere. For me Robbie has a punchers chance the whole fight (he has seriously underrated cardio and R-Mac is a big 170 and has faded late in fights before). Having said that as bomber_mad_1989 pointed out R-Mac has control, technique, range and rasslin' that Robbie just lacks. What i do want to see is Rory show some killer instinct, if he gets the chance to finish i hope he goes for it because if he doesn't it could bite him in the ass.

Just about everyone has given their opinion on who will win the fight, im interested in how people feel about the fighters, obviously Conor is a love him or hate him type of athlete/personality, personally i love him and think he is great for the sport, oddly i also like Rory for all the opposite reasons. Of the main and co mains who do you personally "like" more (not as a fighter but as a personality)

Conor - Love him, absolutley compelling to watch.
Chad - Like him, all of team Alphamale seem like genuinely good guys.

Robbie - Never really got him, nothing to dislike but just seems a bit nothing really and has never really seemed like the champ to me. Totally unwarranted, but feels like he his holding the belt for Rory, Johnny or Carlos
Rory - Love him, such a weird, quiet type. The new mans thinking fighter that seems to be so measured and calm all the time but loves combat sports.

You could do this for the whole roster (might be a thread idea) but im just curious about it for this card cause i think this one has some compelling personalities.

Just about everyone has given their opinion on who will win the fight, im interested in how people feel about the fighters, obviously Conor is a love him or hate him type of athlete/personality, personally i love him and think he is great for the sport, oddly i also like Rory for all the opposite reasons. Of the main and co mains who do you personally "like" more (not as a fighter but as a personality)

Robbie - Never really got him, nothing to dislike but just seems a bit nothing really and has never really seemed like the champ to me. Totally unwarranted, but feels like he his holding the belt for Rory, Johnny or Carlos
Rory - Love him, such a weird, quiet type. The new mans thinking fighter that seems to be so measured and calm all the time but loves combat sports.

You could do this for the whole roster (might be a thread idea) but im just curious about it for this card cause i think this one has some compelling personalities.

I was on the Mcgregor bandwagon until the articles about him being too good to fight in Melbourne. He does come across as a bit of a dick.

Conor is a ******** and is bad for the sport imo. I wasnt a fan of Mendes until the embedded series started.

Conor is a ******** and is bad for the sport imo. I wasnt a fan of Mendes until the embedded series started.
anyone who brings eyes is great for the sport.
he puts bums on seats whether u want him to win or get knocked out.
when a key component of a sport is trading brain damage, a villain type character is essential for the entertainment and build up to a fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back