bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Just watched the main event again. Ronda is someone that we will be talking about in 50 years time...like mike tyson but for all the good reasons. She took it to brazil and destroyed. I could watch the ko all night

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
That was bloody unreal. Me and my mates were talking about how we havent seen a women get full ko'd before....I mean head first hit the ground and still out
Here's Hisae Watanabe who fought at 106 pounds. She had ridiculous power. Cyborg is huge, a very good striker and hits really hard, but even she doesn't leave her opponents completely motionless. Watanabe did multiple times.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Only fight from the main card I've seen is Rousey/Correira. Read the play by play for the rest of it and read/heard some people's thoughts on the fights. Seems like a lot of the fighters who don't have much left looked better than I expected them to.

Disappointing that Palelei had top position at the end of round 1 and then got finished early in the 2nd.

Shogun/Little Nog was apparently pretty good and far less sad than it could have been.

Big Nog didn't get finished and is now going to retire from what I've seen, that's good.

Gadelha won convincingly, which will set up a great rematch fight with Jedrzejczyk. That's cool.

I really enjoy watching Maia do his thing on the ground, even though he hasn't been submitting guys lately. That was such a great display of takedowns followed by tremendous grappling. I thought Magny had a decent chance here. Expected Maia to start well and for Magny to stuff some takedowns later and get something done on the feet. I don't know why I expected that as Maia's wrestling is really good and generally underrated. Magny didn't come close to stopping Maia from taking him down. Then Maia's work from the ground was a work of art. The passing, controlling position and finally the submission were all exquisite. If Maia had better and heavier ground striking he'd be so much better, and he's already very good.

Alves looked great. He's an amazing athlete and he's putting together a really well rounded skillset. He's only 24 (doesn't look it) and has been fighting for a little more than 4 years. Tremendous upside for him.

Issa's work on the mat in the 1st round against Alcantara was brilliant. Then Alcantara realised he should avoid grappling with Issa and did really well on the feet from then on.

Some people saying Rousey fought poorly because she wasn't great defensively and others are acting like she fought amazingly well. I'm somewhere in between. She didn't need to be great defensively because Correira offered no threat to her, so she rushed forward and unloaded on her overmatched opponent. She wasn't terrible and she wasn't great, but she finished Correira quickly. She destroyed Correira and did it quickly like we all expected. Not much to take from this fight really.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Maia was a highlight, honestly the main card was really average, Tuf bantamweight finale aside (that was a wild fight).

Rousey was really good but as mentioned huge holes defensively in her stand up but her hand speed and power covered that off. I was a bit perplexed about people talking up Bethes chances on the feet, she has horrible stand up and no real power, her "KO" of baszler looked more like Shayna gave up than got knocked out.

As said by BradWCE Rousey didn't need stand up defense in this fight cause Bethe was never gonna hurt her

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah, Rousey just didn't care and was willing to walk through Correira's shots. She could have taken Correira down and actually looked like she was just about to throw her on her head, but seemed to think stuff it, I can do this with my fists.

At this stage the only thing that interests me with Rousey is a fight with Cyborg. A 3rd Tate fight is completely uninteresting to me. I've thought for a while that Rousey would submit Cyborg and now I'm more confident that she'll win.

The insistence on Rousey/Cyborg being at BW is stupid. Penn went up to WW when he was the LW champ and Anderson went up to LHW for a few fights when he was the MW champ. Dana White said that Rousey/Cyborg would do 2 million PPV buys, so not being willing to budge on the weight makes no sense if he really believes that.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah, I disagree on that. I would watch Ronda fight a bum off the street, she is compelling on her own. Provided they have cannon fodder for her I'm happy to watch whoever they thrown at her.

I also disagree on the weight thing. It's Rondas call as the champion of the bw division, it's also different to the Penn situation because there is no women's fw division. If I was a fighter I wouldn't risk my legacy by fighting outside of my weight class. That's just a personal thing but it's entirely on Cyborg to make weight or not try spruik the fight if she can't

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Meh, Rousey's just going to destroy everyone at BW. I found it interesting the 1st however many times it happened, but now it's not interesting to me at all. Last 3 fights have all ended inside a minute, it's boring because she's so much better than everyone else. Tate will likely put up a better fight than the rest, so that fight's not completely uninteresting. For me, it's about a 2 on a 1-10 scale of me being interested in it. Cyborg is a 10. Cyborg's fights are the same as Rousey's, completely overmatched opponents getting smashed early.

I agree that Rousey can decide that she doesn't want to fight above 135 pounds. If the UFC wanted to make that fight at 140 or 145 pounds she can say that she won't do it. That's fine and the UFC should respect that, but the UFC acting like it's unprecedented and that there's no way it could happen above 135 makes no sense.

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Forgot to mention that I remember Rousey said she was willing to fight Carano at 145 pounds. I'm assuming that she rationalises the apparent contradiction by mentioning that Cyborg failed a drug test.

It doesn't really matter in MMA if you're undefeated. MMA doesn't have the same sort of over the top prestige associated with being undefeated as boxing does.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Forgot to mention that I remember Rousey said she was willing to fight Carano at 145 pounds. I'm assuming that she rationalises the apparent contradiction by mentioning that Cyborg failed a drug test.

It doesn't really matter in MMA if you're undefeated. MMA doesn't have the same sort of over the top prestige associated with being undefeated as boxing does.

Really? Has anyone ever retired undefeated in MMA? Might not have the prestige but it certainly seems much more difficult.

I think Rousey will fight Cyborg but it will be her last fight, she has talked about her legacy and wanting to remain undefeated so i think she racks up a few more wins against the girls in the BW division then has a big camp with a huge build up to fight Cyborg (probably at 140 if Cyborg cant make 135) then retires. I suspect she isnt long for this sport and will retire in the next few years, in the meantime i'm happy to sit back and watch the very best female fighter in the world do her thing, like Schumacher, Tyson, Tiger and Jordan in their prime, even if it is against hopelessly mismatched spuds.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Rousey is a mega star but refusing to go and fought at 140 is why she won't do the same ppv as Connor. It's the whole perception of a champion any were any time anyone. I think it would benefit the UFC to make the division at 140 it would give some FW a chance to cut down and fight in the UFC. A healthy division is good for everyone and really rousey looked like a sucked in skeleton at the weigh ins who knows with the iv ban we might see it happen

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I dont think it should be up to the champ to make fights happen. If any challenger wants to fight Rousey then its on them to cut the weight. Why should Ronda have to cut weight? She is the champ in the biggest MMA organization in the world?

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Didn't GSP refuse to go up or down weight classes? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Think his excuse was it takes years off your career...

Do fans think less of him because he didn't?
he use to cop shitloads but remember he had a whole division of killers to get through, bet you Connor would go up if he was in the same situation its just one of those fights that need to happen

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
I dont think it should be up to the champ to make fights happen. If any challenger wants to fight Rousey then its on them to cut the weight. Why should Ronda have to cut weight? She is the champ in the biggest MMA organization in the world?
she doesnt have to cut weight lol :)

Didn't GSP refuse to go up or down weight classes? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Think his excuse was it takes years off your career...

Do fans think less of him because he didn't?
He would have expired trying to cut down to 155.

I think he would have gone up to face Silva if he didn't lose eventually. However with Silva failing a drug test he's reinforced exactly what GSP has been complaining about for years.

He would have expired trying to cut down to 155.

I think he would have gone up to face Silva if he didn't lose eventually. However with Silva failing a drug test he's reinforced exactly what GSP has been complaining about for years.
i reckon it's pretty funny that because GSP has spoken out on PEDS, ppl think it clears him of all suspicion. I'll always have my douts.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/09/hendricks-camp-reps-for-ufc-champ-st-pierre-refused-nsacs-wada-testing

Back