UFC 193 - Fight Week!

Remove this Banner Ad

what do you mean by true sellout what event really is
Thats what I mean. All "sold out" events still have tickets available. Sell out generally means 90%+ sold out.

Anyone end up going to the presser?
Was going to but got caught up with some other work but they really separated the media scrum from the rest of the public. Looked like s**t to be honest.

12006509_1194150490611101_2858094382039747254_o.jpg

Thats what I mean. All "sold out" events still have tickets available. Sell out generally means 90%+ sold out.
I think it will sell out remember tickets still have not gone on sale to the general public, Ireland is diffrent kettle of fish too you think this would be sold out if it was at rod laver?. dont worry about the tickets they give away to every event ufc, AFL wouldnt look into it that much. and here this for a thought you could still get tickets to UFC 189 week of the fight

so the usual...

Honestly, some of these flogs spend tens of thousands of bucks in HECS/Fess @ Uni, and the best they can muster is

"So, what do you think of Melbourne?" :drunk:

I went today, I got to meet Dana and Ronda, Im so *in stoked.
I was totally awestruck by both of them, such massive personalities and both were super friendly, they talked to everyone who wanted to chat and were really funny and jovial. Ronda is actually stunning in real life I thought, didn't expect her to be that hot, she had this real glow about her, gave me butterflies being near her. I've met tonnes of celebrities doing security work over the years and none ever made me that nervous. She's funnily enough got a really feminine girly vibe, her really nice skin was something that stood out to me, and I thought she was actually pretty tiny for the baddest female in the world. I said to her I couldn't believe how small she was, and that I was expecting a Goliath of a woman, and that I thought I'd be scared shitless of her but she wasn't intimidating at all and she thought that was really funny and said something like yeah well I'm glad people aren't scared of me she doesn't want to be a scary person but she's a different person when she's prepping for a fight and maybe I'd be terrified if I came across her when she was in fight mode. I said nah I didn't think so, I wouldn't be scared at all and she said something like be careful that sounds like a challenge, and I said ok I'm scared now and her and Dana both had a laugh and said goodbye. I was rapt with that I'm still grinning from ear to ear 8 hrs later.
She was seriously Tiny though. I couldn't imagine her being able to harm me, she looked like someone my size could just pick her up and bear hug her and she wouldn't be able to move. Guess she probably would have me in an arm bar before I knew what the * happened but that's just the weirdest thing about her I think, so hard to look at her and think she's as dangerous as she is. Dana was cool too, I didn't have a conversation with him but he was listening and laughing when I was talking to ronda.

The press conference was pretty funny, not as many people turned out as I expected if they did it in the evening outside of work hours they would have got tonnes more. Can't wait for the fight it's going to madness 70k fans all eyes on ronda. I think of everyone she's fought holm is probably the most dangerous. She won't get out boxed like correia, and with her striking power if she catches ronda of guard she might be able to KO her. Ronda will no doubt be looking to take her down, but if she makes the mistake of trying to prove her boxing skills instead of playing to her judo strength holly might get the better of her so pretty exciting fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said to her I couldn't believe how small she was, and that I was expecting a Goliath of a woman

Thanks for the story man, that's really cool.

But you're lucky she didn't armbar the s**t out of you after that comment. In my experience, telling any athlete that they're "small", "not that big", or "much smaller than I thought" is one of the most offensive things you can say to them!

I would've loved to have gone yesterday. I'm studying full time at uni for a trimester or 2, so had the press conference been today (a day off) I could've gotten there as early as I wanted to get in to octagon and try and meet Ronda.

As it was, Wednesday (or Monday) is the worst day that it could've been :(

On an unrelated note - this tshirt... a humerous take on her admiration for Rowdy Roddy Piper? Or just offensive? I'm having trouble deciding...

law1013.jpg

Here's the original:

41Gxr-SPEoL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
From her wiki

Rousey fought Bethe Correia on August 1, 2015 in Brazil, at UFC 190, winning the bout by knockout 34 seconds into the first round.[86] Rousey dedicated the match to "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who died the day before, commenting that Piper was one of her inspirations and had endorsed her use of his nickname.

Rousey is a professional wrestling fan. Her nickname was taken from professional wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper, whom she asked for permission.[89] She, Shayna Baszler, Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir have dubbed themselves "The Four Horsewomen," a play on The Four Horsemen, with the blessing of leader Ric Flair and enforcer Arn Anderson.[90]

She originally opposed using the nickname her friends gave her, "Rowdy", feeling it would be disrespectful to professional wrestler"Rowdy" Roddy Piper. After meeting Piper through Gene LeBell, who helped train both of them, Piper personally gave his approval. Rousey dedicated her successful title defense at UFC 190 to Piper, following his death in July 2015.[115]

I guess I get all that.

I'm thinking in the much more literal sense whether wearing a 'Hot Ronda' tshirt would be offensive to women and to educated, evolved people who you might see on the way to, from, or at the event.

I know the connection with Piper, so I didn't personally take offense when I saw that tshirt. I'm wondering whether others might. (I'm preparing my Ronda tshirt now rather than lining up and paying an outrageous price on the day.)

I quite liked the Jedrzejcyk/Letournau staredown. (Doesn't matter how many times I try and write those names over the next 2 months, I'm never going to get them right!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back