UFC 193 - Fight Week!

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys seem to underestimate it. Its the first UFC event in Melbourne. It's a PPV. It would see out if it was the bottom 100 fighting.

I don't agree with that - given the prices I know they've charged for events in Sydney (I never researched Brisbane or Adelaide, I've only just moved from Canberra), you can't expect 60,000 to pay that much purely for novelty factor. They actually need a draw, and I don't think Hunt or Lawler are it.

Confirmed:
Lawler v Condit
Hunt v Bigfoot 2
Michael Bisping vs. Robert Whittaker
Jake Matthews vs. Akbarh Arreola
Kyle Noke vs. Peter Sobotta
Rich Walsh vs. Steve Kennedy
Dan Kelly vs. Ricardo Abreu

Perosh vs Villante too. Hoping for another big fight... Dos Santos vs Overeem is apparently in the works, so that could be an option.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/ufc/et...-lawler-v-condit/story-fnkjww7x-1227491378719

UFC president Dana White tweeted Wednesday that UFC 193 will take place in the giant Etihad Stadium. The Melbourne arena usually seats over 53,000 people, but the UFC will set up floor seats in the hopes of fitting 70,000 fans into the stadium.

CONFIRMED FIGHTS FOR UFC 193 MELBOURNE

Robbie Lawler (26-10-0 1 NC) v Carlos Condit (30-8-0) (UFC welterweight championship)

Mark Hunt (10-9-1) v Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva (19-7-0 1 NC) (heavyweight)

Robert Whitakker (14-4-0) v Michael Bisping (28-7-0) (middleweight)

Jake Matthews (9-1-0) v Akbarh Arreola (23-9-1) (lightweight)

Kyle Noke (20-7-1) v Peter Sobotta (15-4-1) (welterweight)

Anthony Perosh (15-9-0) v Gian Villante (13-5-0) (light-heavyweight)

Daniel Kelly (9-1-0) v Ricardo Abreu (5-2-0) (middleweight)

Richard Walsh (8-4-0) v Steve Kennedy (22-7-0) (welterweight)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that question is more suited to Dan Kelly than Anthony Perosh.

Dan is 2-1 in the UFC 9-1 in his career. Perosh is 15-9, 5-4 in the UFC.

Fight club only gives you early access (which if you want good seats you will need) you also need to be a $100 or $150 member to get early access.

Tickets will likely be $100 in the nosebleeds (which at Etihad means you will get atmosphere and watch it on the bigscreen) $1500 ringside, staggered pricing in between. They will also probably have everything on the "ground" some form of ringside to jack prices up.

To be clear i think it will still sell out but its an underwhelming card and wont be a great endorsement for another trip out here, its likely alot of people who pay huge coin (or even less coin) wont come again.

Is not that weak really compare it to ufc 191. Title fight awesome , hunt v Bigfoot first one was epic. Bispin is better than he has been for ages and a face of the ufc plus Australia's top prospect. Lots of lcal talent this is a nice little package just wish I was there leave melbourne a week before

The important question is are they bringing the A team of Buffer, Arianny and Britney?
Joe Rogan confirmed he is coming on twitter, haven't seen anything on buffer but for a PPV he'll be here and Arianny is being brought out by Allstar MMA Tours http://www.allstarmmatours.com/melbourne-193.html and not working the card. I emailed these guys and they confirmed that she is doing a calendar signing at their per-event function, going to the UFC as one of their tour ambassadors and having her birthday party in with their after party at Ms Collins.

The more i think about it the more im realising the card is actually not underwhelming, it just seems that way because it felt like Oz was being promised the greatest card of all time (which i actually dont think is the UFC's fault).

I got caught up in the hype and rumour mill. Its a pretty decent card and is actually alot better than what i thought they might serve up (Mighty Mouse as the headliner).

Long story short, after some soul searching im pumped again.

The more i think about it the more im realising the card is actually not underwhelming, it just seems that way because it felt like Oz was being promised the greatest card of all time (which i actually dont think is the UFC's fault).

I got caught up in the hype and rumour mill. Its a pretty decent card and is actually alot better than what i thought they might serve up (Mighty Mouse as the headliner).

Long story short, after some soul searching im pumped again.

Congratulations - you've moved onto the 'acceptance' stage in the 5 stages of grief.

I've been through denial - "no, this isn't it. There's a heap more fights to be announced. These are just undercard fights."

To anger - "are they serious? They want us to pay hundreds of dollars to sit over 100m from the cage for this card? F... off!"

I think I'm now at bargaining - "I'm happy to pay a few hundred just for one more big fight. UFC, I will give you 500 DOLLARS if you bring Rousey down!"

Seriously though, I think you have to be a MUCH bigger fan of the sport than I am to really appreciate this card. Events such as this come to Australia because they know that Australians appreciate a global product, and they know that we'll pay for it (this is why the soccer games in July have become a thing, why WWE are still only doing house shows in Australia, why the baseball came down last year).

But this isn't the 'global product' - this is a main event, then a heap of fights featuring local guys that, in some cases, I could've seen at a community centre for 20 bucks 3 years ago.

Congratulations - you've moved onto the 'acceptance' stage in the 5 stages of grief.

I've been through denial - "no, this isn't it. There's a heap more fights to be announced. These are just undercard fights."

To anger - "are they serious? They want us to pay hundreds of dollars to sit over 100m from the cage for this card? F... off!"

I think I'm now at bargaining - "I'm happy to pay a few hundred just for one more big fight. UFC, I will give you 500 DOLLARS if you bring Rousey down!"

Seriously though, I think you have to be a MUCH bigger fan of the sport than I am to really appreciate this card. Events such as this come to Australia because they know that Australians appreciate a global product, and they know that we'll pay for it (this is why the soccer games in July have become a thing, why WWE are still only doing house shows in Australia, why the baseball came down last year).

But this isn't the 'global product' - this is a main event, then a heap of fights featuring local guys that, in some cases, I could've seen at a community centre for 20 bucks 3 years ago.

I agree with the bolded but i dont really agree with the last paragraph. On paper this is as good as card as most any other PPV held anywhere (worth remembering the only PPV's outside of USA are in Brazil and Canada two powerhouses of the sport).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back