MMA-UFC UFC 193 - Melbourne November 15 - Questions & Answers

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have any idea how many theyve sold? Looks like it definetely wont sell out. Thats what happens when you bring a substandard card

Anyone have any idea how many theyve sold? Looks like it definetely wont sell out. Thats what happens when you bring a substandard card

I have no idea, seems there are some ticket giveaways happening though. I think this card is about as good as we could expect, the Lawler/Condit cancellation hurts but they have sent their biggest star.

Dave Meltzer said on the MMA hour that last he heard around a week or two ago, it was at around 45,000 sold. he also said he expects it to get to 55,000 and just break the record.

I'm not taking his thoughts seriously tho because he also said that he has thinks the 70,000 was never possible because the arena only holds just over 50,000. I don't think he knows the size of the ground.

He's right - 70k was never possible.

It holds about 56k. When you bring the level 1 seats in it comes into about 52-53k. So then you add whatever can fit on the ground itself, which was never going to be 17k.

They'll paper it anyway. From what I'm hearing (not that I listen to it myself) there's not a commercial radio station in Melbourne not offering tickets to this thing. I kind of wish I'd saved myself a few hunj now!

I think they got the pricing wrong. $100+ for top of lvl 3 is too much, its fine in a 20k seater but this is a footy ground.

I know a few people who were thinking of going for a look and just see the last fights, that don't follow it at all but thought the cheap seats would be 50 odd so not going.

Etihad had 70k in it last year for the Jehovah's Witnesses convention.

It can hold 70k & they didn't even use the entire ground area.

I hear they're doing an open training session at Fed Square tomorrow. I'm keen to have a look. Anyone know what they'll do if the thunderstorms hit?

Etihad had 70k in it last year for the Jehovah's Witnesses convention.

It can hold 70k & they didn't even use the entire ground area.

Was that all seated? And was it even ticketed to give a "real" number?

(I'm refraining from posting any related jokes, it might get me banned!)

I doubt thats the case. 99% of people who would actually care about the card are going anyway. A 'great fight' with guys no one outside of real fans know about isnt going to sell 10,000 extra tickets.

Ronda alone is worth more than 'a great card' to the attendance.

Yeah, I think it would have flopped if Lawler and Condit was still the main event.

Thats aboslute rubbish.

Would have sold out weeks ago. I know so many fans that arent going due to the shocking card. I can only imagine how many people from interstate cancelled their plans to come when the card was announced too.

For anyone who thinks ronda is the biggest draw etc you really need to stop buying into danas/ufc's bullsh1t.

Shes a greatfighyer but the real fan wants to see real fights, not a 20 second exhibition

Thats aboslute rubbish.

Would have sold out weeks ago. I know so many fans that arent going due to the shocking card. I can only imagine how many people from interstate cancelled their plans to come when the card was announced too.

For anyone who thinks ronda is the biggest draw etc you really need to stop buying into danas/ufc's bullsh1t.

Shes a greatfighyer but the real fan wants to see real fights, not a 20 second exhibition

That's the point though, only the real fans wouldn't fill Etihad, Ronda has mainstream appeal which they needed to try and fill Etihad, which they still may not do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your going to get the largest crowd possible with ronda forget about the rest of the card its her period. Hardcores will go to anything, now if they put on a great show there just may be alot of people that might pay more attention to the sport and if the UFC decide to do the Ethiad again it may be bigger depends on the experience and how long it takes them to come back, they wont be able to do 1 show a year there but who knows

Holy s**t, people really don't understand marketting.

Anyone who thinks "a couple of hardcore fans you know who aren't going" is the difference between a sell out and not is an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about.

The key to filling a 60k+ stadium isn't hardcore fans, it's getting mainstream interest.

ALL of the hype, media coverage etc in Melbourne this week has been focused on Rousey, and it's all been because of Rousey.

Regardless of which fight you'd prefer to see, anyone who believes that Lawler/Condit could've garnered the hype and mainstream attention that Ronda has doesn't know what they're talking about. There's a big difference between your personal preference and the reality.

Edit: one more thing - anyone who isn't going because they're sooking about Rousey/Holm instead of Condit/Lawler, and ignoring the Hunt/Silva rematch and the chance to see JJ isn't a "hardcore fan".

Last edited:
Its interesting as well because ive read that whilst they expect the crowd to be record breaking they only expect about $6m on the gate (the record is $12m). Which i think backs up that they f**ked up the ticket pricing.
thats because the cheapest seats at say 189 in vegas was $450 you cant get away with that in Aus staduim or at rod laver it just wont stand

I doubt they'll do Etihad again, which is another reason I'm so glad I went today. As I said in the other thread, I've gotten pretty good at guessing crowd figures at Melbourne's grounds. I reckon there was about 44-47k, I could've believed 50k... but no way was there 56k.

It'll be interesting to see how much more they charge at Rod Laver next time... Hopefully it's still a pay per view.

But if it's not, it'll serve people right for doing a Mexican wave during the probably fight of the 'night'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back