MMA-UFC UFC on Fox: dos Anjos vs Cerrone

Remove this Banner Ad

Great shot by Reem. I thought the stoppage was slightly premature, but nothing to really complain about...I didn't see JDS recovering from that any way

Think the stoppage was right but came off a bit dodgy. Stepped in too early which made Reem hesitate giving Dos Santos a second or two to recover making it look worse.

surely jds hangs them up shadow of his former self. reem writing more zeroes on his next contract with what ever promotion he joins
Yea dude must have shortened his career significantly after the damage he took in that Cain fight

Think the stoppage was right but came off a bit dodgy. Stepped in too early which made Reem hesitate giving Dos Santos a second or two to recover making it look worse.
3o8dp24FVXhb3qeb3a.gif

Yeah good stop. Overeem could of obliterated him if the ref didn't step in, he couldn't defend himself. Mind you JDS recovered in a heartbeat, tough as *.

dana will be crying all his hype fighters are gong down, cowboy just can't box with the best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the stoppage was ok. RDA was throwing bombs at him from the start and caught him with great strikes on multiple occasions

I've taken kicks and been stumped like that and unable to do anything for the next 30 seconds to minute. Not a great place to be in

I wouldnt have minded in Cerrone won but I'm happy for RDA

That 30-27 scorecard for Kowalkiewicz was really bad. No way she won the 2nd round. I think she won 29-28, but the 1st round was close. 2nd was clearly Markos' and the 3rd was clearly Kowalkiewicz's. Kowalkiewicz will probably get into trouble on the feet against better strikers, but it was enough to outstrike Markos.

Commentary wasn't great in the Diaz/Johnson fight. They acted like it was all Diaz after round 1. I think Diaz won the last two rounds, but the 3rd was closer than they thought it was. And I don't know if this is the best Diaz has ever looked, which Rogan kept saying. He did look a lot better and more motivated than last time, but I think it was mainly the stylistic match-up. If Diaz was fighting RDA again, he'd have got destroyed again. Johnson landed a lot of good leg and body kicks in the first round, but it was such a fast paced fight that it turned into a boxing match. Johnson also didn't look to take him down, which has worked well for a lot of other fighters against Diaz.

Overeem fought a smart fight again and it worked well. Wasn't the most entertaining fight, but he knocked out JDS which is very impressive. He generally defended well and took advantage of the opportunities that JDS gave him. JDS' corner can take some of the blame for him dropping off. There was no need for his two fights with Cain to go into the 5th round. Overeem knocking him out probably has very little to do with JDS' chin getting worse though. Overeem has more one shot power than Cain and Miocic and Hunt wasn't able to land on JDS as flush as Overeem did.

I only just realised that maybe body shots hurt Cerrone so much because of that accident years ago. Pettis got him with body shots and RDA did today. I have no problem with the stoppage. Cerrone's body was still not recovered and he had taken heaps of shots. Not sure what more you want. Maybe it was slightly early, but nothing worth complaining about. Far better than the non-stoppage in Rockhold/Weidman in round 3 last week.

Didn't take a single clean hit to the head, only turtling from the body shots. Why stop a fight when someone isn't ko'd? To stop brain damage.
I'll backtrack a bit on my first reply.

His body hadn't recovered and he was taking plenty of shots to the head. Maybe it was slightly early, but nothing worth complaining about IMO. I thought it was a much better stoppage than the Weidman non-stoppage last week. I can see your point, but I'm not getting worked up about the stoppage being bad.

I'll backtrack a bit on my first reply.

His body hadn't recovered and he was taking plenty of shots to the head. Maybe it was slightly early, but nothing worth complaining about IMO. I thought it was a much better stoppage than the Weidman non-stoppage last week. I can see your point, but I'm not getting worked up about the stoppage being bad.

If Cerrone didn't want to be taking those shots he has the option of tapping. The referee is there to make that call when the fighter isn't capable. My opinion is Cerrone was fully cognizant, which is different to Weidman one as he was severely rocked on multiple occasions.

Just seen the title fight. Personally think the fight could of been stopped when Cerrone was up near the cage but herb let it go as it's a title fight. Good stoppage IMO.

The wars with Cain have chipped JDS jaw something major. He was rocked and again...good stoppage.

Diaz, great way to not get the Conor fight!

If Cerrone didn't want to be taking those shots he has the option of tapping. The referee is there to make that call when the fighter isn't capable. My opinion is Cerrone was fully cognizant, which is different to Weidman one as he was severely rocked on multiple occasions.
The referee isn't there to make that call when the fighter isn't capable. You make it sound like the fighter has to be out cold. That's not the case at all. There are plenty of TKO stoppages when the fighter is not intelligently defending, but is nowhere near unconscious. All Cerrone was doing after taking those brutal body shots was covering up. I don't think covering up and getting blasted for that long is intelligently defending. Going to have to agree to disagree I guess.

Censorship on American TV is some funny s**t. People taking punches, kicks, elbows, knees, getting knocked unconscious and potentially getting their arms broken and knees messed up in submissions is perfectly fine. But they can't air expletives or show middle fingers.

Diaz's post-fight interview was great.

The referee isn't there to make that call when the fighter isn't capable. You make it sound like the fighter has to be out cold. That's not the case at all. There are plenty of TKO stoppages when the fighter is not intelligently defending, but is nowhere near unconscious. All Cerrone was doing after taking those brutal body shots was covering up. I don't think covering up and getting blasted for that long is intelligently defending. Going to have to agree to disagree I guess.

Not cold but certainly rocked/dropped/dazed.

Cerrone wasn't in half the trouble Kongo or Lesnar were. Covering is intelligent defending when you haven't be concussed because you are mentally lucid.

Not cold but certainly rocked/dropped/dazed.

Cerrone wasn't in half the trouble Kongo or Lesnar were. Covering is intelligent defending when you haven't be concussed because you are mentally lucid.

Like I said, we obviously disagree. I wouldn't have complained if either of those fights you posted were stopped. I could find a couple of examples of fights that make the RDA/Cerrone stoppage look late. What does it prove? Nothing. Rousey/McMann was stopped earlier than RDA/Cerrone. McGregor/Mendes was too. There'd be heaps of examples. So what?

I find it funny that you're always complaining about early stoppages and never about late ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back