Umpires this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Perhaps it's bloody hard to umpire a finals game. Intensity is up and its very congested. The Adelaide Doggs game, though still often mystifying, was the best umpired and the most open.

The ride the Weagles got was incredible and Richmond once again got a number of weird frees their way.

Tigers please stop whining about the HTB that wasn't paid because there is every chance the umpire deliberately let it go after realising that he should have pinged Cotchin for tearing off Zeibull's head 2 seconds earlier.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't think you can go wrong with fewer free kicks. The players and fans always prefer if you let the game play- case in point on Friday night they called a very iffy deliberate OOB against Hawthorn, and then paid a few more to try and keep that interpretation up and it just didn't make sense. One from Rosa especially was the worst call of the night.

Adelaide Bulldogs was umpired well, the rest had a few too many head scratchers I think.

Perhaps it's bloody hard to umpire a finals game. Intensity is up and its very congested. The Adelaide Doggs game, though still often mystifying, was the best umpired and the most open.

The ride the Weagles got was incredible and Richmond once again got a number of weird frees their way.

Tigers please stop whining about the HTB that wasn't paid because there is every chance the umpire deliberately let it go after realising that he should have pinged Cotchin for tearing off Zeibull's head 2 seconds earlier.

You are kidding surely... Ours was terrible with very incompetent umpires. Decisions not bias either way, I agree, but the umpires performance was horrible for both sides.

"You grabbed his arm"
Hahaha. Worst call and explanation this season.
No hyperbole.
A Richmond player (with possession of the ball) literally won a free kick simply because a North player grabbed his arm.
Why did the Richmond player only grab the ball with one hand?

Coz he was being held before he took possession.

"You grabbed his arm"
Hahaha. Worst call and explanation this season.
No hyperbole.
A Richmond player (with possession of the ball) literally won a free kick simply because a North player grabbed his arm.

lmao definitely one of the worst calls for the night.

Why did the Richmond player only grab the ball with one hand?

Coz he was being held before he took possession.

Yeah, nah. Unless i completely missed that somehow.
That whistle came long after that (completely legal) tackle was complete.
If it happened before he took possession, why'd the umpire wait 5 seconds?

Umpiring was nowhere near as bad as made out. Eagles were not extremely favoured, Swans were not, and both North and Richmond had some s**t calls against them at crucial times.

But as I have posted here over and over again, incidents are like these are more important than umpires

1) Matt Suckling ******* up a kick in straight to Josh Hill - gave the Eagles the first and the crowd
2) Lachie Hunter missing a simple handball, ends up in a stoppage rather than a Dogs goal (win)/point (draw)
3) Tyrone Vickery running into goal, SHOULD HAVE kicked the goal. Easy goal for AFL tier player. If not confident enough, he had a handball to give.
4) Jake Stringer preferring to take on 3 Crows players rather than give the handball
5) Kurt Tippett dropping a simple chest mark 20m out from goal and then throwing it
6) Troy Chaplin trying to take on Robin Nahas 15m out directly in front of goal - are you ******* serious?
7) Isaac Heeney missing an easy shot late
8) Dean Towers missing 2 early shots he should have kicked - could have had the Swans closer
9) Josh Gibson unable to tackle Hutchings when the Eagles were making their run in the 2nd quarter
10) Lindsay Thomas stupidly putting his foot anywhere near the the body of another player

These 10 incidents are all much much worse mistakes than anything an umpire will ever do for me. All of these were such simple skill errors or terrible lack of judgement, and they are just unacceptable. Umpires do have impact on matches, and that was a terrible non holding-the-ball call with Edwards and Cunnington, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway if Richmond didn't have such basic skill errors. They can continue to blame the umpires, or they can blame the 5-6 goals they gave up because they lost concentration, or simply weren't good enough. If they blame the latter, their list may become a genuine contender one day. If they blame it all on the umpires, then they will never move on.

The Hawks were flogged all day, regardless of umpiring. Hodge made basic errors. Birchall made basic errors. Roughead made basic errors. Rioli made basic errors. Suckling made basic errors. You can blame the umpires...or you can blame the guys who are on far bigger salaries and devote a far bigger portion of their life towards their job (a lot of boundary and goal umpires have other jobs I'm pretty sure).

Sydney kicked 7.18. It's entirely on them that they lost. Tippett dropped a sitter. Heeney missed a couple of gettable ones. Rohan played like s**t. Goodes and Towers both had 1 or 2 they could have kicked. All of these would have done far more for them winning if they had been kicked, rather than more umpiring decisions.

That's not to say umpiring can't be improved. Of course it can. But a bit of perspective please. AFL is a dynamic game, you have to look at so many angles, and remember they only get 1 look in real time - they don't get slow-mo replays. So there's mistakes bound to be made. And secondly, fans are always going to be bias, so they are always going to be filthy one way or the other.

What about the Dogs only deciding to make someone stick to Betts in the second half? By that time he had 4 goals and an assist. Nothing the umpires can do about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't for the life of me see how that HTB was not paid. I understand that umpires are instructed to let it go as much as possible but the obvious ones must be paid no matter the game situation. The repercussions of not paying it can end up huge as was the case today. Once again I still think paying the frees as per the rules is always better than letting some go and paying some.

But as I have posted here over and over again, incidents are like these are more important than umpires

1) Matt Suckling ******* up a kick in straight to Josh Hill - gave the Eagles the first and the crowd
2) Lachie Hunter missing a simple handball, ends up in a stoppage rather than a Dogs goal (win)/point (draw)
3) Tyrone Vickery running into goal, SHOULD HAVE kicked the goal. Easy goal for AFL tier player. If not confident enough, he had a handball to give.
4) Jake Stringer preferring to take on 3 Crows players rather than give the handball
5) Kurt Tippett dropping a simple chest mark 20m out from goal and then throwing it
6) Troy Chaplin trying to take on Robin Nahas 15m out directly in front of goal - are you ******* serious?
8) Dean Towers missing 2 early shots he should have kicked - could have had the Swans closer
9) Josh Gibson unable to tackle Hutchings when the Eagles were making their run in the 2nd quarter
10) Lindsay Thomas stupidly putting his foot anywhere near the the body of another player

These 10 incidents are all much much worse mistakes than anything an umpire will ever do for me. All of these were such simple skill errors or terrible lack of judgement, and they are just unacceptable. Umpires do have impact on matches, and that was a terrible non holding-the-ball call with Edwards and Cunnington, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway if Richmond didn't have such basic skill errors. They can continue to blame the umpires, or they can blame the 5-6 goals they gave up because they lost concentration, or simply weren't good enough. If they blame the latter, their list may become a genuine contender one day. If they blame it all on the umpires, then they will never move on.

The Hawks were flogged all day, regardless of umpiring. Hodge made basic errors. Birchall made basic errors. Roughead made basic errors. Rioli made basic errors. Suckling made basic errors. You can blame the umpires...or you can blame the guys who are on far bigger salaries and devote a far bigger portion of their life towards their job (a lot of boundary and goal umpires have other jobs I'm pretty sure).

Sydney kicked 7.18. It's entirely on them that they lost. Tippett dropped a sitter. Heeney missed a couple of gettable ones. Rohan played like s**t. Goodes and Towers both had 1 or 2 they could have kicked. All of these would have done far more for them winning if they had been kicked, rather than more umpiring decisions.

That's not to say umpiring can't be improved. Of course it can. But a bit of perspective please. AFL is a dynamic game, you have to look at so many angles, and remember they only get 1 look in real time - they don't get slow-mo replays. So there's mistakes bound to be made. And secondly, fans are always going to be bias, so they are always going to be filthy one way or the other.
Well put.

Perth crowds will always influence the umpiring. Expect the PFs to have some shocking decisions

Ummm the deliberate out of bounds maybe, but other than that???

Umpiring was nowhere near as bad as made out. Eagles were not extremely favoured, Swans were not, and both North and Richmond had some s**t calls against them at crucial times.

All good and well but these players can lose their careers over these things, they get dropped they have serious questions asked of them.
The umpires just get onto next week with almost every wrong decision backed up by the league and made out it was correct, they seem to rarely get dropped or pay for their mistakes.
The non HTB decision today was not just a mistake it was a brain fade and I have no loyalty to either North or the Tigers.
It is simply not good enough

They were quite poor today, many soft ones paid that turned out very badly on the MCG big screen. They went both ways so nothing result altering. It just seemed like after last night great game where they left the whistles alone they never put them down today.

If am umpire is going to make a mistake at least make it a missed call, when they blow the whistle and the replay quickly shows them wrong it infuriates the crowd. There were multiple calls today that resulted in shots at goal that ended up wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back