Umpires this week.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
What does Essendon list have to do with my comment about West Coast. I find it very weird people continually do this on this site. Is it to deflect or is it because you genuinely think that I have some say at what happens at Essendon and their current plight means I don't know what I'm talking about?
I just want to know what your reference point for mediocrity is. Either you are unaware of the word's correct usage or their is another Australian rules football league being played in the universe where West Coast would be mid table.

Jaspar24

Debutant
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
The 50m penalty against Suckling for not throwing it back on the full.

I saw that happen at least 5 times in the two EFs and not once was it paid. Players even ran off without throwing the ball back and weren't penalised
Did you see shuey get thrown to the floor whilst standing the mark and the ump do nothing? =S... umpiring was bad both ways but using it as an excuse for a sides insepid performance is just plain petty.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
the game was amateur for the first century, and in many ways still is. If something is rewarded, players will find ways to exploit that rule.

Hawthorn rushing behinds for a quick release kickin; Collingwood flattening the man on the mark, shepherding past the ball; Geelong boxing out marking contests; hawthorns third man up; gee longs two ruckman; hawthorn manning the mark on 45', Geelong knee drop dives, Selwood et al 'bends' for high contact, Thomas slide and lean, Selwood shoulder shrug, crow throw, swan flick, cats drop, etc etc.

Most other sports have a defined set of rules, coaches find ways to exploit and the game evolves. In the AFL, the attempt is to manufacture a 'desired game' rather than to let the game evolve organically.

Start by simplifying the rules, remove bias or interpretation based frees, and pay EVERYTHING. I guarantee players and coaches will soon adjust.

All those examples have been happening for years.
But I agree with what you said, our game has not evolved naturally. It evolved through rule changes.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
I just want to know what your reference point for mediocrity is. Either you are unaware of the word's correct usage or their is another Australian rules football league being played in the universe where West Coast would be mid table.

Yeah I think West Coast are mid table list wise. They are exceptionally well coached though and cover their deficiencies well.

Umpires will make mistakes and that's ok, but shouldn't pay a free kick in front of goal unless they're absolutely certain of it. The tiggy touchwood free to Dickson last night was terrible. Would hate to see one of those paid in the dying seconds.
So choose- would you rather have the 'tiggy touchwood' that was paid to Dickson in front of goal, (far from the worst call this year), or the non call against Cunnington, also in front of goal???
Both were there, one more so than the other, but it's the Dickson one you complain about...:rolleyes:

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
You deflected to some sort of weird 'say that to my face' tough guy schtick when asked to list bad calls to back up your whinge. It seems your go to when called out on your badly thought out posts is to try to threaten people, remember when the 'anti-terror' squad were going to hunt down BF posters on your behalf?!

Agreed, and the one against Josh Kennedy was equally bad.
Tied 15 all. Your serve.
I thought that was worth 50. Once Kennedy put his arms out they were always going to pay as it prevented any chance of Hodge playing on. We have been done for the exact same thing 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
So choose- would you rather have the 'tiggy touchwood' that was paid to Dickson in front of goal, (far from the worst call this year), or the non call against Cunnington, also in front of goal???
Both were there, one more so than the other, but it's the Dickson one you complain about...:rolleyes:
Well, the Cunnington one would be a prime example of being 'absolutely certain' and should have been paid 100 times out of 100... but for whatever reason the umpire missed it. Blind sighted?

Dickson's was not there.

Mar 29, 2011
Die Kaffeeklatch
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought that was worth 50. Once Kennedy put his arms out they were always going to pay as it prevented any chance of Hodge playing on. We have been done for the exact same thing 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks
And the Shep one prevented him from playing on quickly too and allowed hawthorn to setup their defense.
Both soft as hell 50's that should probably be let go, especially in a final.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
And the Shep one prevented him from playing on quickly too and allowed hawthorn to setup their defense.
Both soft as hell 50's that should probably be let go, especially in a final.

No the rules should be applied no matter what game it is. It's when you think as you do that we end up with these discussions. The rules should be the rules just as they are in most other sports. Not for debate

Mar 29, 2011
Die Kaffeeklatch
AFL Club
West Coast
No the rules should be applied no matter what game it is. It's when you think as you do that we end up with these discussions. The rules should be the rules just as they are in most other sports. Not for debate
You forget that nearly every rule in the AFL is open for interpretation (deliberate out of bounds, holding the ball the main two) and those interpretation change considerably over time.
In finals the game is played at a different level and the umpiring has nearly always adapted accordingly.

May 16, 2007
coffs
Other Teams
chess
Did you see shuey get thrown to the floor whilst standing the mark and the ump do nothing? =S... umpiring was bad both ways but using it as an excuse for a sides insepid performance is just plain petty.

I saw him play for a free kick for alleged kicking in danger 30m out directly in front which is per usual WC umpires awarded. The umpire involved does not understand the kicking in danger rule, a toe poke with no backlift is not a kicking in danger despite the Shoey theatrics.
The most biased umpired game I've seen.

Nov 24, 2003
#impunity
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I saw him play for a free kick for alleged kicking in danger 30m out directly in front which is per usual WC umpires awarded. The umpire involved does not understand the kicking in danger rule, a toe poke with no backlift is not a kicking in danger despite the Shoey theatrics.
The most biased umpired game I've seen.

So LOL

Back