Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Rockets
In my mind I see you showing the 3 or 4 that went our way----> then show the vast number of the ones that went against us.
It will make it harder to dismiss you offhand.

I think if anyone wants to make a video about decisions that went our way from that game, then they are more than welcome to make their own. I look forward to that 15 seconds of film!

Sep 10, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Second lowest number of free's for for the season, arguably a function of the style of game we play. It was particularly bad against Geelong, but as a freo supporter being frustrated at the umpires feels natural.

Every year there is an uproar at the umpires, I can't think of too many sports in general where fans believe the umpires know what their doing.

We lost today because of injuries and two last minute goal chances missed, that's it.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
That's crazy talk. Think what you want about the umpires, but Geelong were responsible for shaping the style of the modern game. They have contributed a great deal to the game and the competition. Their coaching staff are everywhere (adelaide / Essendon / port) and their ex-players are playing and captaining younger teams. A blight on the game? Good one.

Serpounce

Draftee
Apr 29, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
It must have been a hollow victory for the cheating pricks. I now have no respect for anything associated with the Geelong Football Club. Disgraceful organisation, and a blight on the AFL.
Coming from the only expansion club (bar GC & GWS) not to win a premiership that is laughable

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's crazy talk. Think what you want about the umpires, but Geelong were responsible for shaping the style of the modern game. They have contributed a great deal to the game and the competition. Their coaching staff are everywhere (adelaide / Essendon / port) and their ex-players are playing and captaining younger teams. A blight on the game? Good one.

and are now shaping it again by teaching youngsters that ducking into tackles, playing for frees and whinging to the umpires is "The way the game should be played"

valkorum

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Sacremento Kings

Yet your head coach came from the Freo system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
In the video I'll put core stats and then if you notice I discounted a whole bunch of proposed decisions against us.

I'm not sure what showing ones that went our way as well would accomplish. Beside weakening the idea we were jipped.

Maybe I could show the questionable ones we got.. but out of 11 it couldnt be much!!

This excercise = therapy.

I've not done any analysis or anything, but a free kick to Sandi in the first few minutes was howler for us, off memory, there was another one in the 1st quarter too that was dodgy in our favour, I think to Sutty.

All I can say to that is just as bloody well - if we didn't get those it would have been even worse - though that did set the tone.

The Umps were trying to set the tone early anticipating physicality etc. and they just went stupid - unfortunately, after those 1st few minutes, they just started falling Geelong's way more and more and the Cats milked the "conditions" more as well - heads flopping all over the place, ducking etc. and the incompetence of the Umpires couldn't handle it.

But all said and done, it settled down in the 2nd half and we should have won it either way. Didn't like the poor standard of umpiring, but they didn't cost us a game as such.

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've not done any analysis or anything, but a free kick to Sandi in the first few minutes was howler for us, off memory, there was another one in the 1st quarter too that was dodgy in our favour, I think to Sutty.

All I can say to that is just as bloody well - if we didn't get those it would have been even worse - though that did set the tone.

The Umps were trying to set the tone early anticipating physicality etc. and they just went stupid - unfortunately, after those 1st few minutes, they just started falling Geelong's way more and more and the Cats milked the "conditions" more as well - heads flopping all over the place, ducking etc. and the incompetence of the Umpires couldn't handle it.

But all said and done, it settled down in the 2nd half and we should have won it either way. Didn't like the poor standard of umpiring, but they didn't cost us a game as such.

With that tight a margin, the umpiring DID cost us the game. The Johnson/Sutty one directly lead to a goal (and should have been given a free the other way, if anything at all)... and that was enough to keep them ahead of us.

If we'd won it would have been in spite of the umpiring. We nearly won despite it... and I'm pretty proud of the effort the boys put in to do that. Were pushing sh*t uphill all game, until the umps put their whistles away in the last quarter.

The big one for me is that I think the club need to formally ask for clarification on the rules... do the same rules apply in a marking contest that involves Sandi? Or is there an unofficial "unfair height advantage" rule that is being enforced? Would have resulted in at least a couple of shots on goal in dangerous positions, and Sandi is a pretty reliable set shot from those distances.

If the club bring the spotlight onto it, then the umps (and media) will be forced to pay more attention to it... and Sandi will start getting the frees he deserves.

The big one for me is that I think the club need to formally ask for clarification on the rules... do the same rules apply in a marking contest that involves Sandi? Or is there an unofficial "unfair height advantage" rule that is being enforced? Would have resulted in at least a couple of shots on goal in dangerous positions, and Sandi is a pretty reliable set shot from those distances.

If the club bring the spotlight onto it, then the umps (and media) will be forced to pay more attention to it... and Sandi will start getting the frees he deserves.
I wonder the same thing myself sometimes. The umpires seem to think that because he's so huge, other players are allowed to use him as a ladder.

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder the same thing myself sometimes. The umpires seem to think that because he's so huge, other players are allowed to use him as a ladder.

Wouldn't be quite as bad if guys like Taylor on Saturday night were given free kicks against for levering themselves up to spoil using an arm slung over Sandi's shoulder, so they could punch his arm with their spare arm? That'd be two free kicks at the same time wouldn't it? And I don't think I saw the umps give Sandi a single one.

It'd be comical if it wasn't so f*cking frustrating. If Sandi played for Collingwood, it wouldn't be happening... because Eddie would be running his mouth off about it every several minutes on each of his interviews and media spots.

Sometimes I think the class and stoicism that the admin and coaching staff at Freo show works against us. Given the umpiring of the last few weeks, it certainly doesn't seem to be working for us.

such is fyfe

Debutant
Oct 21, 2011
Memphis, TN
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Packers, Ole Miss, Grizzlies
so I don't watch much of the footy media. Has this been raised by any media commentators? High hopes I know... but surely the 720 team on sunday morning had something to say?

Either way, what we showed in the last qtr offers me a lot of excitement and reinstates some of that previously waning belief. I believe we can match it with anyone on the day, especially those soaking, divine, ducking, crying sour cats from that graveyard town in that graveyard state.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
With that tight a margin, the umpiring DID cost us the game. The Johnson/Sutty one directly lead to a goal (and should have been given a free the other way, if anything at all)... and that was enough to keep them ahead of us.

If we'd won it would have been in spite of the umpiring. We nearly won despite it... and I'm pretty proud of the effort the boys put in to do that. Were pushing sh*t uphill all game, until the umps put their whistles away in the last quarter.

Maybe I need better words, what I think I mean is that we could have won, should have won actually, regardless (or despite as you say) the umpiring. It's not that it didn't cost us, it clearly did, but that it wasn't the single thing that cost us the game as a whole. Lots of things did that.

As for Sandi, couldn't agree with you more. Especially when he's fwd where he tends to be matched up on an 'average sized' tall defender as opposed to genuine rucks, he is regularly and frequently robbed of frees that he should get. It's frustrating as hell, but nothing new unfortunately.

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
so I don't watch much of the footy media. Has this been raised by any media commentators? High hopes I know... but surely the 720 team on sunday morning had something to say?

Either way, what we showed in the last qtr offers me a lot of excitement and reinstates some of that previously waning belief. I believe we can match it with anyone on the day, especially those soaking, divine, ducking, crying sour cats from that graveyard town in that graveyard state.

Not that I'm aware of. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about the umpiring and the raw deal we copped.

I think I'm over it now after having a couple of days to let off some steam. What's done is done. If Mundy/Pav's kick was slightly towards the left and right, respectively; it'd be a different story. We had our chances and it would've been an AMAZING win if we managed to triumph over the sooky Cats and their umpires. I'm more excited about what's next to come and hopefully meeting the Cats again in the Finals.

Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers

on 6PR I think it was Kim Hagdorn who suggested Ballanyne was 'raped by the umpires' and had Maumill tried to soften the blow :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back