Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm sure people wouldn't be totally aware of this - some maybe, but, the VAFA has lost one of it's better umpires in recent years and is retiring.

Tim Sutcliffe, who has been highly ranked as an umpire, as the link below will show, has decided to retire after 360 games.

http://www.vafaua.asn.au/news_articles_11.html#news34

For those wishing to know, he will be farewelled in a couple of weeks with a function at South Melbourne's Water Rat Hotel (see details below).

Thanks for your excellent service Sutty - you will be missed by all of us.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=238822706172095

Disappointing to see a top fieldy move on. Methinks the most consistent of those running around this year. Should have finished with another "A" GF medal. What were the selection panel thinking!:eek: Not the only odd GF umpy selection this year either.

Well done Tim. Could have achieved higher honours had he been able to get on top of the bouncing bit.;)

As President of the VAFAUA I would like to extend an invitation to followers of VAFA football who would like to wish Tim Sutcliffe well and thank him for his many dedicated years of service with an informal drink at the Water Rat Hotel on Saturday the 26th of November, kicking off at 4p.m.

The Water Rat is on the corner of Park and Moray Streets, South Melbourne.

Luke Holmes
VAFAUA President

As President of the VAFAUA I would like to extend an invitation to followers of VAFA football who would like to wish Tim Sutcliffe well and thank him for his many dedicated years of service with an informal drink at the Water Rat Hotel on Saturday the 26th of November, kicking off at 4p.m.

The Water Rat is on the corner of Park and Moray Streets, South Melbourne.

Luke Holmes
VAFAUA President

As president I hope you have intentions to improve the standard of umpiring in the lower divisions

I thought they were meeting the standards quite well!!

Then you'd be wrong.

Blah Blah Blah Footy Standard Blah Blah Blah ... just an excuse used by umpiring fraternity to maintain the status quo.

D4 has improved significantly since I started in 2005 (and according to every single person currently involved in D4) ... the umpiring has gotten worse.

Then you'd be wrong.

Blah Blah Blah Footy Standard Blah Blah Blah ... just an excuse used by umpiring fraternity to maintain the status quo.

D4 has improved significantly since I started in 2005 (and according to every single person currently involved in D4) ... the umpiring has gotten worse.

Well done mate, seems you've single-handedly improved the standard of d4 and been able to survey every person in the comp!
With your skills you should put your hand up to fix umpiring. You could sort it out by lunch tomorrow and have time for a few beers.

It's an issue thats not going to go away. The better an umpire is, the more likely they are to be appointed to a higher level game unless they choose otherwise. Just like players - the standouts in each division could/should be playing at a higher level.

More and better umpires would always help, numbers are always a concern and you need guys who turn up to training week in week out if you're going to raise the overall skill level. Just like any other footy club.

I will say this - during the bye when higher level umps come down to the lower grades, both sides don't know what hit them. The umpires pay free after free for stuff that the players may usually get away with (and yes they ARE modifying their style to suit the play) and everyone wonders who the parents of these tiggy touchwood whistle heroes are!

Then you'd be wrong.

Sorry RM, like Les stated, I think you lost the argument on that statement old boy.

and as OTP stated, the umps also need to align abilities as well

Play On!

CC

Sorry RM, like Les stated, I think you lost the argument on that statement old boy.

and as OTP stated, the umps also need to align abilities as well

Play On!

CC

I can assure that that if you could not find a single person in D4 that would say the standard has dropped. I challenge you to find one.

I can assure that that if you could not find a single person in D4 that would say the standard has dropped. I challenge you to find one.

can you translate this into English please:confused:.

Also, doubt I will catch anyone to survey, as its the off season so you will just have to take my word:).

Standards are being aligned.:cool:

cheers

CC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a great sign really, and Benny is okay, just. The more quality we have the more we enjoy the game and can attract better players, all round a win.
I watched my old team OI play on Saturday, umpires were excellent, could have given us another 200 free kicks to help us out but alas, it wasn't to be.

No idea, might be the same reason a Premier C GF goal umpire and one still on a par with the acknowledged best going around is not umpiring VAFA at all this year.

When is the management of that umpire likely to have completed negotiations so he can once again ply his craft in another place?

It may very well be that the umpire in question will be running around next week wearing new attire, as with both sons becoming brand new first year umpires, he is finding it strange and difficult to watch them in action from the wrong side of the boundary.

Still doesn't explain why our friend languishes in the bowels of the competition, maybe he can't attend training for some reason?

Seems numbers are upagain this year. Rob Sebbens efforts in getting boundary umpires over the last 2 seasons has been big. You only need to look at how many boundary umpires train now.

And there's a panel of more than 50 goal umpires. Never seen those numbers.
Is there really 50 goal umpires running around? We dont see them in Division 1 at all (Not that I'm complaining ;))

Quick scan of the appointments showed 47 or 48 this weekend. After the top 30 (A, B and C) the others were scattered through D1/D2 and the U19s.
Thanks, interesting, but yeah I suppose once you get past C it is a case of local appointments most of the time and Division 1 is so scattered we probably wont see too many

Remove this Banner Ad

Back