Uncommon/unpopular gaming opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

All Mario games are crap. Never liked them
I can quite confidently state that you had no childhood and are some sort of monster.

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but it wouldn't be an opinion the majority of gamers nowadays would share. The 16 bit era was the best era of gaming. You had two heavyweights (at the time) in Sega and Nintendo with two very different consoles (especially compared to nowadays with the Xbox and Playstation very similar to each other) battling it out. There will still fanboy wars but you didn't have resolution wars, framerate debates and PC master race being mentioned. Games focused mostly on the gameplay because they didn't have the luxury of HD graphics and sound and they were better for it.

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but it wouldn't be an opinion the majority of gamers nowadays would share. The 16 bit era was the best era of gaming. You had two heavyweights (at the time) in Sega and Nintendo with two very different consoles (especially compared to nowadays with the Xbox and Playstation very similar to each other) battling it out. There will still fanboy wars but you didn't have resolution wars, framerate debates and PC master race being mentioned. Games focused mostly on the gameplay because they didn't have the luxury of HD graphics and sound and they were better for it.

Me and my friends used to go to love going to each others house because we had different consoles which had very different catalogs of games. We also had no fanboy wars.

Me and my friends used to go to love going to each others house because we had different consoles which had very different catalogs of games. We also had no fanboy wars.

My older bro remembers the 8 bit, the Atari, the Intelevision? Colecovision? Commodore 64? It just seemed like a much more exciting time, with something new and different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably unpopular compared to the millions of snobby (compared to reasonable) PC gamers sucking each other off.

There will still fanboy wars but you didn't have resolution wars, framerate debates and PC master race being mentioned. Games focused mostly on the gameplay because they didn't have the luxury of HD graphics and sound and they were better for it.
you're right that resolution and framerates were not specific points of contention, but the 16 bit generation was THE most intense fanboy war.

everything else was front of all out war. graphics (generally), sound, gameplay, controllers, CPU, "coolness" (it was the 90s), mario vs sonic, sega's action/shooters vs snes' rpgs, add-ons, different games on both systems with the same name (capcom's 'aladdin' vs virgin interactive's 'aladdin' still rages today), blatant advertising aimed to inflame fanboyism.

whenever i talk former comrades and foes alike about that those days they still get the friggen thousand-yard stare.

you're right that resolution and framerates were not specific points of contention, but the 16 bit generation was THE most intense fanboy war.

everything else was front of all out war. graphics (generally), sound, gameplay, controllers, CPU, "coolness" (it was the 90s), mario vs sonic, sega's action/shooters vs snes' rpgs, add-ons, different games on both systems with the same name (capcom's 'aladdin' vs virgin interactive's 'aladdin' still rages today), blatant advertising aimed to inflame fanboyism.

whenever i talk former comrades and foes alike about that those days they still get the friggen thousand-yard stare.

Spot on, definitely looking back on that period with rose coloured glasses.

There was no internet back then so as long as you didn't hang around fanboys you could avoid it.

I never, ever had reason to get involved in the Nintendo vs Sega wars. Mostly because my family was povvo. Despite that, somehow we had tons of SMS games and only a sprinkling of NES and SMD games. Handheld games don't really apply in this case.

Not until I learned to love Nintendo after getting the N64 did I get involved in any wars. That is to say, I let my sensitivities get the best of me.

Yeah fanboy wars are pointless. It's not like the companies involved need fanboys to try and convert their friends and anonymous people to survive. All 3 of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are doing well enough or have enough money to continue making consoles for a fair while. No need to show blind love to the company that made the console you play and sledge the others out of "loyalty".

Yeah fanboy wars are pointless. It's not like the companies involved need fanboys to try and convert their friends and anonymous people to survive. All 3 of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are doing well enough or have enough money to continue making consoles for a fair while. No need to show blind love to the company that made the console you play and sledge the others out of "loyalty".
There is a part of me that enjoys Nintendo not getting much attention because of this. Yeah they are fourth fiddle but less likely to see scathing remarks when no one cares what you are doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back