Under Pressure - Billie Smedts

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we'd all be very happy if our BillIE turned out to be a hero, don't you think, Vdubs? :D
Teri , depends on your definition of hero. I was listening to SEN this morn , Luc Longley was on talking about his dislike for the NBA on occasions due to its focus on Heroball , he thought Spurs winning was great fro the game as they did thru team structure etc.

If Hero is being someone who saves the day when are backed into a corner .. fine , if its putting personal play before team... not so much.

Teri , depends on your definition of hero. I was listening to SEN this morn , Luc Longley was on talking about his dislike for the NBA on occasions due to its focus on Heroball , he thought Spurs winning was great fro the game as they did thru team structure etc.

If Hero is being someone who saves the day when are backed into a corner .. fine , if its putting personal play before team... not so much.
I was hoping for a young fellow to get some confidence and kick a couple of match saving goals - or pass off to some else to kick them. The sort of smother, grab and kick that was shown in an earlier video here. Nothing selfish - I think those days might be almost past him now :)

Care to name names? I've started this Year with a clean slate.There's absolutely no one in my gun right now.

Quite happily. If the criteria is "enough with the excuses" (your own phrase, so reasons are irrelevant), then serious question marks should be asked of ANY of the following players:

Menzel, Cowan, Vardy, Simpson, Smedts, McCarthy, McIntosh

With the following complete unknown quantities (so potentially good or bad), either way, they need to deliver in 2015:

Clark, Blease, Stanley

They're just the obvious ones too.

I think that if you loaded the Kevin Bloody Wilson verson, you'd get in trouble :(
Why not just take it into the Off Topic thread and tag DtC in there. That way you know you're safe!
Safe option =
Pass on both.

I think it would be interesting to see a bit of Smedts in the centre this year.
I have heard pretty good things in the VFL when he has played through there.
I could see him start on a Forward Flank or Forward Pocket & swap between that position & the centre throughout the game.
(Kind of what I see Lang doing over the next year or two before playing more midfield).

I think it would be interesting to see a bit of Smedts in the centre this year.
I have heard pretty good things in the VFL when he has played through there.
I could see him start on a Forward Flank or Forward Pocket & swap between that position & the centre throughout the game.
(Kind of what I see Lang doing over the next year or two before playing more midfield).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Lang this year.

From memory Billy was playing decent football in the AFL too before he last got injured. Clearly is AFL standard, just need to find where he fits in the team.

When do they provide us with the new height and weights of the players ?

Presently they have Billie down as 189 cm and 84 kgs ! A comparison would be Duncan (though I do think Billie's build is slightly thinner naturally) - 188 cm and 87 kgs.

I think that is about right so you have the strength you need but still the leg speed and endurance to run and run and run.

But Billie was drafted in 2010 and Duncan was drafted 2009. So Duncan has a year on Billie - one more pre-season plus Billie has been injured and lost maybe a season of games because of them. So in reality he is 2 seasons behind Duncan.

I think Billie needs to be about 87 kgs. 3 kgs of extra muscle I think would help his cause and he could still run and take marks.

Hartman is 188 cm and 86 kgs and he was drafted in 2012 draft.

My guess is that they have not updated the website with the new details until pre-season is over.

Maybe Smedts will put on a kgs or two ? Maybe Hartman might too :) (he looks like a guy that will hunt for tackles and go and get a ball and maybe burst thru - so if he hit a legit 90 kgs fully fit - he maybe one hell of unit).

couldn't agree more but looking at the photos and videos coming out of pre season this year, he doesn't look that much bigger. He was getting brushed aside so easily and his tackling was god awful because of that lack of upper body strength.
Guess it may be a slow but gradual improvement for Billie.

The worst was Mitch Brown, he seemingly never developed any body strength from the first game he played to his last appearance against North Melbourne last year where he was still getting pushed to ground. Rumors of being a slack trainer must have ringed true and it is something we have heard rumored about Billie. Maybe not this year though which is a very positive news.
I've always thought that you can't fatten a thoroughbred, Bobby- like the Chest will never get any more muscle than he currently has, no matter how much he lifts.

Mitch Brown's legs seemed to have got a lot more musclier over last year's preseason. Prior to that, they used to be sticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always regarded Brown as a perfect example of how weight is only broadly indicative of strength. He actually ended up nearly 95kgs I believe by his last season, yet was apparently as flimsy as ever in the contest, at least at AFL level. Some people, perhaps by virtue of their percentage of fast twitch muscle fibre, or perhaps from greater efficiency of movement due to subtle variations in musculature (just guessing, I'm not medico), are quite simply much stronger pound for pound than others at the same height. Or much weaker obviously, as with Brown.

Speaking of Duncan at 188cm and 87kg vs Billie at 189 and 84 - look at Judd at 189cm yet only 85kg when he played at West Coast... couldn't be tackled!

I always regarded Brown as a perfect example of how weight is only broadly indicative of strength. He actually ended up nearly 95kgs I believe by his last season, yet was apparently as flimsy as ever in the contest, at least at AFL level. Some people, perhaps by virtue of their percentage of fast twitch muscle fibre, or perhaps from greater efficiency of movement due to subtle variations in musculature (just guessing, I'm not medico), are quite simply much stronger pound for pound than others at the same height. Or much weaker obviously, as with Brown.

Speaking of Duncan at 188cm and 87kg vs Billie at 189 and 84 - look at Judd at 189cm yet only 85kg when he played at West Coast... couldn't be tackled!
Where's Judd's ballast? Is it in the same place that GAJ keeps his? :D

A new article confirms that Billie will be starting in defence again this year, and has been working a lot with Scarlo. Let's hope that he can learn something from the master, as this really is his make or break year.

Also one of the "standout performers in the pre-season", but given that every pre-season article about any player always says this, I'm pretty sure this is fairly meaningless. But will be interesting to see what he produces in the actual games.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-09/determined-smedts-ready-for-big-crack

A new article confirms that Billie will be starting in defence again this year, and has been working a lot with Scarlo. Let's hope that he can learn something from the master, as this really is his make or break year.

Also one of the "standout performers in the pre-season", but given that every pre-season article about any player always says this, I'm pretty sure this is fairly meaningless. But will be interesting to see what he produces in the actual games.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-02-09/determined-smedts-ready-for-big-crack

Let's hope third time is a charm as the previous two cracks he had in defence weren't exactly confidence inducing for me.

Kid has ability but it really is time to show it consistency rather than fits and starts. The gap between his best and worse simply has to close.

Good to see him putting in the hard yards. I think his attitude has improved and he looks as though he has realized that he needs to put in if he wants to have a successful AFL career. I think last year was a bit of a kick up the arse for him and it's good to see him going about things the right way.
Looks as though he will be down back again and I don't mind seeing him there as long as he's fit and his form warrants a spot in the team.
He's one player I will be watching closely this year as it's probably a make or break for him. I have heard that himself and his family were slightly nervous towards the end of last season as to whether he would still be at the club, so sounds as though he is looking to make amends and establish himself.
He's hasn't missed a beat so far this preseason so if he can keep it up I believe he can become a regular in the best 22 by seasons end.

I don't know how much truth there was to it but didn't Brown recently state that he was unable to do a lot of gym work due to pain in this shoulder from screws?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...isted-by-geelong/story-fngeflq8-1227124133239
"Into his sixth season at Geelong and with just 13 games next to his name, he was sure that if he didn’t do something about the persistent pain in his shoulder, his time as an AFL player would be done.

Surgery in the middle of last season revealed the culprit was two screws from an earlier operation protruding from the back of the joint and causing friction on overlying tendons.

“I went to the club and said I’ve got to get it checked out, because I was sick of the pain I was getting in there,” he told the Herald Sun."

Smedts isn't under pressure for mine. If he bombs badly maybe, but if he shows any improvement, even minor he gets another year. His preseason has been positive so far. I don't think we can afford to dump any more fit players with all the potential injured and older players we risk losing at years end.

Quite happily. If the criteria is "enough with the excuses" (your own phrase, so reasons are irrelevant), then serious question marks should be asked of ANY of the following players:

Menzel, Cowan, Vardy, Simpson, Smedts, McCarthy, McIntosh

what about walker and ghs if they dont cement a senior spot?

what about walker and ghs if they dont cement a senior spot?

Walker has only been on the senior list for one season; I'd say he's safe.

If Horlin-Smith hasn't yet sealed a senior spot they must know something I don't. He's one of the very few young players we have whose stats have actually improved every season. Think that might buy him some time (it should anyway).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back