Tertiary and Continuing Undergrad Course for a Software Engineer

Remove this Banner Ad

STeeLhawk

Senior List
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all,

I'm a final year Computer Science student at Monash, and am thinking about transferring into Software Engineering at the same university, which would allow me to graduate at the end of 2015. I find the software engineering side of IT significantly more interesting than the computer science side, which I've been pursuing through my major (which contains most of the software engineering core units regardless).

One of the software engineering lecturers has attempted to "recruit" me into his course, but am reluctant, as I'm not sure how much extra mileage I'll get out of a SoftEng degree as opposed to CompSci. The industrial experience part of the degree is appealing but I'm not sold on it quite yet. My grades are good enough to transfer, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Would it be worth doing an extra year for that industrial experience, and a slightly nicer and more relevant qualification? And if not, would there be any other one-year courses that would augment my learning as an alternative (a Business course, for example)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My housemate did Software Engineering at RMIT and is currently doing a work placement for 12 months (and its looking like he'll have the option to stay on after that if he wants). I don't have a technical IT background though I work in the IT industry and would highly recommend any work experience you can find.

My housemate did Software Engineering at RMIT and is currently doing a work placement for 12 months (and its looking like he'll have the option to stay on after that if he wants). I don't have a technical IT background though I work in the IT industry and would highly recommend any work experience you can find.

The SoftEng course at Monash features a full-year project with a client in final year, and that's really the major factor in my wanting to transfer. At this stage, I'm leaning towards transferring and doing the extra year, since I think it'd be pretty helpful for my future prospects. Thanks for the help!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back