FTA-TV Underrated TV Shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Sliders in its first 3 seasons. It maintained its timeslot throughout the late 90s in Australia and only during the 5th season did it get dumped in dead time (can't really blame them for that). Was recently parodied in that Family Guy Multiverse episode.

John Doe starring Dominic Purcell. About a man who knows every known fact in the world except his own past. I knew this wouldn't last past one season when I really started enjoying it. After it was cancelled the creators revealed why the main character had that ability, and unlike Lost or the X-Files where they basically made s**t up as they went along, Joe Doe's background was quite brilliant. A damn shame they weren't able to follow through with it.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Funny show about one man's imagination as he goes through his boring job/life. I enjoyed it so of course it was dumped after a season.

Sliders was one of the great late 90s shows at the time, remember always watching it as a family on Friday Nights. As the initial main cast members dropped off one by one, so did the viewers. When it got to the point where only 1-2 of the original 4 were still there, it wasn't quite the same.

But around the time of Rhys-Davies' departure, it was one of the most talked about shows among me and my friends at school. Looking back now, it tied in well with the 90s era of fantasy television.

Sliders was one of the great late 90s shows at the time, remember always watching it as a family on Friday Nights. As the initial main cast members dropped off one by one, so did the viewers. When it got to the point where only 1-2 of the original 4 were still there, it wasn't quite the same.

But around the time of Rhys-Davies' departure, it was one of the most talked about shows among me and my friends at school. Looking back now, it tied in well with the 90s era of fantasy television.
I never got into it did it have a decent ending?

I don't really think I stuck around for the ending. It was a show that petered out more than anything else. I think I watched all of Season 4, but probably only the occasional episode of Season 5. Have next to no memory of the final season.

The show was rather nasty to its main characters, and I think by the final season only one of the original cast was still around.

Last edited:

No, pretty s**t one really.

As Roobs points out the show was never the same once John Rhys-Davies left. There were a couple of decent episodes in season 4 but when Jerry O'Connell left at the end of that season there was basically no point to the show. Season 5 was unwatchable.

There was a lot of behind the scenes dramas throughout the show which is why it never really hit its stride, but season 1, 2 and around half of 3 still gave some excellent TV.

No, pretty s**t one really.

As Roobs points out the show was never the same once John Rhys-Davies left. There were a couple of decent episodes in season 4 but when Jerry O'Connell left at the end of that season there was basically no point to the show. Season 5 was unwatchable.

There was a lot of behind the scenes dramas throughout the show which is why it never really hit its stride, but season 1, 2 and around half of 3 still gave some excellent TV.

Completely agreed with that. I'm pretty sure everyone basically switched off around that point, if they hadn't already. Rembrandt wasn't really reason enough to stick around until the bitter end.

It was one of my favourite shows at the time, so I think I kept watching briefly out of loyalty, but given I remember next to nothing about that season, it can't have been very good.

Last edited:
Not sure if it really qualifies, but it did start life/production as a series before morphing into three 1.5 episodes, but The Lost Room is great.

I dunno if it was underrated, but Just Shoot Me doesn't seem to get mentioned enough when the subject of "best ever sitcoms" comes up. Sure, it probably wasn't the best, but it's easily in my top 10; maybe top 5

At it's best, it was sharp, dark and pretty funny. I've said this before, but the network crucified it in the end by moving it around, then insisting that Rena Sofer be added to the cast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hqdefault.jpg

It's an interesting question, I was just thinking about this the other day and the first show that comes to mind is 'The Thin Blue Line'. I remember it was considered a miss for Rowan Atkinson and really fell under the radar in terms of 90s sitcoms, with a lot of criticism centred on its dated humour and stereotypes. I dunno, I thought it was funny and I still find it funny. Another sci-fi show I really loved was 'Now and Again', but it failed to register for some reason.

All I remember from this show was one of the female characters crushing on some bloke who turned out to be gay, and at the end he described his sexuality by saying he "couldn't get it up if it was in a splint". Thinking back now, it's like "you're not gay, you're just impotent!"

I remember I started reading Watchmen when S1 of Heroes hit screens, so I remember feeling at the time that Heroes paled in comparison. Enjoyable show though.

Here's a few to sink your teeth into:

* Jericho
* Homicide: Life on the Street
* Blake's 7
* Coupling

Also enjoyed Friday Night Lights, Just Shoot Me and The Worst Week of My Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back