Union corruption - who would have thought?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have a wider problem of cronyism in this country - the more militant Unions seem to have been run by intimidation and bullying for years and any investigation is long overdue.
Appointment at senior Federal level (eg. ex-IPA member to HR council) is again a clear sign that cronyism is on the rise.

Allegations in the news about corrupt union building officials etc. and the infiltration of bikie gangs. I'm flabergasted:cool: Apparently some people have been selling drugs on building sites as well:eek: Mick Gatto's name pops up as well:confused: Never in a million years would've I put 'union's and 'corruption' in the same sentence.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-...s-to-crime-figures-kickbacks-for-jobs/5221234

Don't be silly, any investigation into this would just be a liberal hatchet job on supporters of the ALP. after all, didn't the ALP lighten the oversight on unions? They wouldn't have don't that if there wa anything to worry about, would they? And of course, with all the senior unionists in the ALP, and their close ties due to the massive funding, the ALP would know.

No, it's only those damned rich people and their corporations that donate to the Libs that need to be watched closely!

Crazy idea, but shouldn't corruption everywhere be watched, closely. Especially those with ties to politics...Maybe we could even have a federal police force to look into it, and give them sufficient powers to do so...Of course, neither side wants that.

Although I see no mention of intimidation used by construction companies to keep employees silent about workplace accidents, threatening jobs and even governments using anti-competitive legislation to stop companies from bidding for contracts who enter into agreements with unions. Oh yes, corruption is purely on one side of the industry and the other is squeaky clean where they don't line the pockets of political parties to gain favours in legislation.

Anyone believing that the unions are the only problem in the building industry and that the government funded inquiries are completely independent and transparent is an idiot.

Although I see no mention of intimidation used by construction companies to keep employees silent about workplace accidents, threatening jobs and even governments using anti-competitive legislation to stop companies from bidding for contracts who enter into agreements with unions. Oh yes, corruption is purely on one side of the industry and the other is squeaky clean where they don't line the pockets of political parties to gain favours in legislation.

Anyone believing that the unions are the only problem in the building industry and that the government funded inquiries are completely independent and transparent is an idiot.

As I alluded to, neither side of politics wants a genuine investigation into corruption, thus, inquiries (royal commision or otherwise) with strictly constrained terms of reference are the only way they go.

I'd also like an inquiry into why the police aren't investigating this already....but I suspect nobody in politics wants that either.

As I alluded to, neither side of politics wants a genuine investigation into corruption, thus, inquiries (royal commision or otherwise) with strictly constrained terms of reference are the only way they go.

I'd also like an inquiry into why the police aren't investigating this already....but I suspect nobody in politics wants that either.
The police are the last people the politicians want investigating the links to organised crime because it will also lead to investigation of where political parties receive donations and standover tactics used bycompanies like Grocon.

As we all know politics isn't about truth its about a headline and statements to win public support regardless of what the truth is.

The police are the last people the politicians want investigating the links to organised crime because it will also lead to investigation of where political parties receive donations and standover tactics used bycompanies like Grocon.

As we all know politics isn't about truth its about a headline and statements to win public support regardless of what the truth is.

Look like you're doing something, while behind the scenes you're on the receiving end of worse...

Hopefully some serious outcomes will follow. Let's remember it is not only corrupt union officials and organised crime which will be caught but also the construction companies that caved in a paid the kick backs.

As such no one will want to dob each other in but when one is caught they will spill the beans.

This has gone on for too long!

Of course companies are involved. When your family is threatened with physical violence (not to mention the threat of going broke) nearly all cave in.

Some good work by Fairfax here (and they were excellent re Desal plant and the stench emanating from it) :thumbsu:

One can only imagine the Libs have been too gutless to call for a Royal Commission because of donations they receive from certain developers.

Looks like a smokescreen to hide Liberal ministerial collusion, fraud and corruption at both state and federal level.
Could be wrong though.;)

What's the name of that dirty little thief in NSW?

Looks like a smokescreen to hide Liberal ministerial collusion, fraud and corruption at both state and federal level.
Could be wrong though.;)
Personally think that federally it is collusion as they are helping their mates who in turn fund the party to help keep them in office, which just means that they aren't getting any real direct benefit as they still have to be elected. State level though is pretty much straight out corruption.

In NSW you have to ask which one, both sides are that corrupt it is hard to know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if the union super funds will be looked into.

The Libs are calling for a Royal Commission but I don't think it's necessary. We already know it's a sh*t sandwich, we don't need to be told how bad it tastes or smells. Just weed (no pun!) out the corrupt brown paper baggers and the drug dealers and standover men and get on with it.

Could be wrong though.;)

Take away the politics; fraud, corruption, organised crime, assault, fire bombing, death threats etc has no place in modern business and society.

Who ever has participated in these activities should face the full force of the law.

Property development and construction has been dodgy for years. That has been also known for years. The Union official claimed it was getting worse. Can only speculate to why. One factor is the economy has been leveraged toward property prices raising (here I'm talking about massive land values, developments, ownership of previous crown land) so if you control the resources you stand to print money with future rents/royalties etc. It is no wonder criminals/shady types are attracted to this. It is a licence to print money and use it as a base to fund future operations. Own control who has access/works/and what goes on at certain sites and certain people practically run a fiefdom.

Second point I can't work out is how the Unions Management/Ownership structure is managed. Unions at their core are to collectively bargain for the interests of workers. So why isn't management/the executive determined by workers. How are board elections/Managerial Positions carried out. Really need a body like the AEC to oversee it to ensure members are getting who they elect. Currently unions in certain sectors are just feathering their own nests and the use of certain contacts is simply to establish a power base/control elements of a market.

Sure this goes deep and there are companies paying kickbacks. But this is basically to win work. Catch them in the net and punish them sure but the real goal needs to be cleaning up and democratising the unions and cleaning up the Industry as a whole in terms of who owns and is controlling what.

Personally think that federally it is collusion as they are helping their mates who in turn fund the party to help keep them in office, which just means that they aren't getting any real direct benefit as they still have to be elected. State level though is pretty much straight out corruption.

In NSW you have to ask which one, both sides are that corrupt it is hard to know
I think...my point.

I think...my point.

So if there is no corruption, then the review will give the industry the all clear.

So no issues and no favours to the mates you refer to.

So what the hell are you banging on about?

So if there is no corruption, then the review will give the industry the all clear.

That the review will be given such little scope that they can not investigate links between construction with outlaw motorcycle gangs and political parties, it will be solely based on the unions so as not to embarass the government into having to deal with the corruption inside their own ranks. If you want to see why just have a look at how well the two main political parties have dealt with Shaw and Thompson respectively.

Politics is all about numbers and if you have to take action against one of your own and boot them from the party it effects your numbers, if the Libs were to expel a Senator it would create an even bigger nightmare for them over the next few years getting legislation passed.

Hahahaha.
Really?
Come on you know how this works. I'm no innocent who thinks these people are all idealogues....I've made a few end my way too.
Everyone of them is in it for the perks.....every single one

Anyone who thinks unionised construction is any more corrupt than non unionised has nfi, really.
Non union construction has it shams like the sham contracting subbies s**t but there seriously has to be no more notable source of corruption than in construction unions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back