Union corruption - who would have thought?!

I agree on the CFMEU, totally.

I don't believe it's a fable at all. Big multinationals use their money, power and influence to get what they want, corrupt unions use standover tactics and thuggery to get what they want. If unions had the funds and influence of the multinationals they would use them instead of the other tactics. At the end of the day, they will use whatever arsenal is available to them.

If the benefit went back to the workers then that argument is reasonable. If they just pocket it then its just a crime.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Having been on the site of the Swanston Street wall collapse - a Grocon site where clear negligence saw three people killed - literally a few minutes after it happened (before they had time to cover the bodies) I can very confidently say that if union corruption is some sort of threat to the public, then so are operators like that.

I note the relevant Grocon employees have been less than forthcoming in assisting with the enquiries into that.

Having been on the site of the Swanston Street wall collapse - a Grocon site where clear negligence saw three people killed - literally a few minutes after it happened (before they had time to cover the bodies) I can very confidently say that if union corruption is some sort of threat to the public, then so are operators like that.

I note the relevant Grocon employees have been less than forthcoming in assisting with the enquiries into that.

far out. SO sad that people turn around and justify corrupt behaviour by pointing the finger "over there".

how does a society move forward with a mentality like that.

pathetic!

They can be both corrupt and good quality.

Looks like your moral compass is pointing towards the clouds. Yawn.

????

no

a measure of a man is his integrity and strength of character. a man who is corrupt is weak, pathetic and shameful. They are not qualities I associate with good or quality.

I disagree entirely. Its the capitalist system that is truly corrupt and anybody who plays by its rules to the letter of the law is not to be trusted and is of poor character.

What the Law Society deems as corrupt is what i would call heroic.

It takes brave men to buck the system for the benefit of their employees/members.

I guess its the classic class tale of robin hood.

I dont see robbing from the rich to improve and develop the poor as a bad quality, at all.

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City

Mebbe the Grollo's'll get done in the proposed RC, like they did as a result of the Winneke RC

Mar 25, 2008
Victoria's Secret HQ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree on the CFMEU, totally.

I don't believe it's a fable at all. Big multinationals use their money, power and influence to get what they want, corrupt unions use standover tactics and thuggery to get what they want. If unions had the funds and influence of the multinationals they would use them instead of the other tactics. At the end of the day, they will use whatever arsenal is available to them.

Fair point. Money buys power and influence. Money buys drugs, hitmen and thugs as well as protection from the ALP.

I disagree entirely. Its the capitalist system that is truly corrupt and anybody who plays by its rules to the letter of the law is not to be trusted and is of poor character.

What the Law Society deems as corrupt is what i would call heroic.

It takes brave men to buck the system for the benefit of their employees/members.

I guess its the classic class tale of robin hood.

I dont see robbing from the rich to improve and develop the poor as a bad quality, at all.

what a load of crap

go to a third world like indonesia and see how unions operate. They are no different here but the operations in third world nations are less discrete thus the activities and outcomes are far easier to see.

Further, I find it sad that you don't think employers want to see their employees richer, healthier and happier.

I dont see the relevance of the third world. I am only referencing australia. I dont see your connection between the two countries as relevant to anything i have discussed.

I never said that about employers. Dont make up my thoughts, or misread what i wrote.

are you the same type of f'er that would have followed a shallot like hitler promising better things? as you remember hitler had the ability to promote people to do horrible things through fear, intimidation and most of all greed.

would you sell your soul to better yourself over your fellow man vealsey?

vealesy, I trust you are just young and naive rather than cruel and opportunistic.

I hope your comments are just bravado and you realise we need to work together as a society rather than undermine and corrupt ourselves.

I dont see the relevance of the third world. I am only referencing australia. I dont see your connection between the two countries as relevant to anything i have discussed.

I never said that about employers. Dont make up my thoughts, or misread what i wrote.

oh and you probably don't realise this but unions rob from the poor not the rich. So I am not sure your robin hood comment stands firm. Rather, it is cowards that rob from the poor not the brave.

are you the same type of f'er that would have followed a shallot like hitler promising better things? as you remember hitler had the ability to promote people to do horrible things through fear, intimidation and most of all greed.

would you sell your soul to better yourself over your fellow man vealsey?

vealesy, I trust you are just young and naive rather than cruel and opportunistic.

I hope your comments are just bravado and you realise we need to work together as a society rather than undermine and corrupt ourselves.

First off, corruption IS working together to improve things. I dont see how it undermines anything. It makes things better, for everyone, except the consumer. User pays, right?

And secondly, Godwin says hi.

I do not blindly follow anyone. There was no fear or intimidation. Smiles, secret handshakes, secured jobs, higher wages, less stress

I heard of the corruption (of which i had zero to do with) and agreed with its methods. Its no different to what the Freemasons did. Price fixing cartels. Work less and make more money.

I do not believe in "souls". Nor do i have judeo-christian morals. I am not naive either. I was aware of it when i first entered construction at 18.

It may be "illegal", but its also considered "good business".

I have no idea if it still goes on, nor am i even privvy to anyone who does, anymore.

oh and you probably don't realise this but unions rob from the poor not the rich. So I am not sure your robin hood comment stands firm. Rather, it is cowards that rob from the poor not the brave.

Im not even talking about corruption in the unions. Im talking about corruption, by their "enemies", management and CEOs of construction companies.

The rich are the ones paying for the project. The poor are the ones who build the project. Therefore robin hood is valid.

Did you not read the part where i said everyone was happier and better off?

are your sure you know what corruption is?

as what you are saying is simply unbelievable.

I can assure you corruption hurts the poor the most no matter who commits the act. So corrupt unions, government officials or industry increases the pressure on the poor the most.

Back