Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

You're proving my point.

Normally when someone says "If Player X scores 50ppg for 10 seasons will he be better than MJ?". People say "Yes".

Then when someone says "If Team Y with 75+ games for 10 straight seasons are they the best team ever?". People say "Yes".
But thats stupid and unrealistic. :drunk:

Meh, who cares really. Steph is a great player. Will win the MVP again this season and the Championship and should break the Bulls 72-10 record to boot. Great, great player.

But Jordan is Jordan. The GOAT.
Love how you conveniently ignore what I wrote because it doesn't suit your "OMG MJ IS THE GREATEST!" crap.

fidstar was talking about both.
I already said the Bulls regular season record could fall.

Ive also given my opinion that even if the Warriors do break the record which looks very likely at this stage, I would still pick Chicago to beat them in a 7 games series because of Michael Jordan.

All this has been covered.

Comparing teams from different eras with different rules is kind of redundant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading away a superstar who is in their prime never really makes a team better. They seem like big deals, but they're really just sideways moves that just look like you're doing something, rather than actually improving.

When I say "superstar", I'm thinking more your 26/27-year-old Blake Griffin and your 25-year-old DeMarcus Cousins, than your 30-year-old Dwight Howard, too. I don't really know what Atlanta would expect to achieve by trading Al Horford and/or Jeff Teague, either.

Trading away a superstar who is in their prime never really makes a team better. They seem like big deals, but they're really just sideways moves that just look like you're doing something, rather than actually improving.

When I say "superstar", I'm thinking more your 26/27-year-old Blake Griffin and your 25-year-old DeMarcus Cousins, than your 30-year-old Dwight Howard, too. I don't really know what Atlanta would expect to achieve by trading Al Horford and/or Jeff Teague, either.

Not sure if unpopular. For every time it works out there's a hell of a lot more where it goes the other way. Also losing a superstar is surely horrid for a teams marketability.

But I think it's more to do with, if you have a superstar you can easily be stuck in the twilight zone of good, but not great as a team. Also the fear of losing the superstar for nothing surely plays on a teams mind.

Steph Curry shouldn't be hot favorite for All Star MVP ($4, next best $7.50). All Star game is built for players like LeBron and Russell who love to drive to the basket due to no one playing defense.

That surely isn't one bit unpopular. Don't think it belongs in here at all.

Teams do it to blow up their roster. The Magic knew the Dwight days were over, the Wolves knew KG had to be given a shot elsewhere, the Lakers knew Kobe was their guy not Shaq etc.....

The Hawks were a nice team last year that was completely exposed in the playoffs because they don't have a superstar. As nice as the story is about a team with ball movement and good chemistry going all the way, the Pistons are the only team to ever do that, and even still Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace were still great offensive weapons.

Atlanta now realises their roster isn't good enough and isn't going to waste any time making changes. They were a treadmill team from 2007-2011 wasting years for nothing, and don't want to repeat that again. It's the reason they dumped Smith and ended that era so quickly in 2011 or whenever it was and it's why they'll get rid of Horford and/or Teague. Horford has an expiring deal as well doesn't he?

Clippers are in the same situation. Highly doubt they'll trade Blake, but if they get nowhere this year it will definitely be time to make moves, Paul doesn't have long left and they should definitely focus the team around Blake if they deem him worthy.

Kings it would be a massive backwards move, but there's going to come a time when Cousins has enough and the Kings have enough. They've gone through a rotation of coaches, two owners and multiple GMs and have got nowhere and are still light years from a title with Cousins.

Steph Curry shouldn't be hot favorite for All Star MVP ($4, next best $7.50). All Star game is built for players like LeBron and Russell who love to drive to the basket due to no one playing defense.
$4 isn't too much of a hot favourite. All-star game betting would just be a massive guessing game anyway. Seems every year there's one guy who drains a ton of jumpers and has the ball a lot.

Bookies are probably just thinking that Curry is going to continue his recent trend of winning everything.

$4 isn't too much of a hot favourite. All-star game betting would just be a massive guessing game anyway. Seems every year there's one guy who drains a ton of jumpers and has the ball a lot.

Bookies are probably just thinking that Curry is going to continue his recent trend of winning everything.

The odds are probably more to do with betting than anything else. $4 in a 24 man race is pretty hot favorite (though I guess you could argue 7 or so aren't realistic chances). It just seems strange he's $4 and then there is a group @ $7.50 to $10 (Durant, Westbrook and LeBron). I don't see him a better chance than any of those guys.

So the NBA could be trialing sponsors on their playing kits in the next season or so. I think it's an amazing feat that they had lasted that long without them, they actually look pretty good without corporate logos (aside from the league logo and adidas or soon to be nike logos for the clothing brand of the uniform).

Living in a world where corporate logos on team gear is the norm in Australia, the AFL jumpers would look different without any on. I always saw the NBA guernseys as selling the team and the state of the team more than anything (well duhhh I hear you say lol).

So what's your unpopular opinion? :p

I'd like to see what the logos would look like before I give my unpopular opinion :D On one hand I like the idea (which might be an unpopular one, as a lot of American basketball fans on another forum dislike the idea - using the European football team kits as a basis for their dislike).

I disagree. Curry will be bringing the ball up on most plays, and will have the greenlight to shoot it whenever, wherever. The stage is set for him to have a monster offensive game. (ASG-wise).
The only thing standing in his way is if they decide to give Kobe a proper send off and just let him take as many shots as he wants.

That surely isn't one bit unpopular. Don't think it belongs in here at all.

Teams do it to blow up their roster. The Magic knew the Dwight days were over, the Wolves knew KG had to be given a shot elsewhere, the Lakers knew Kobe was their guy not Shaq etc.....

The Hawks were a nice team last year that was completely exposed in the playoffs because they don't have a superstar. As nice as the story is about a team with ball movement and good chemistry going all the way, the Pistons are the only team to ever do that, and even still Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace were still great offensive weapons.

Atlanta now realises their roster isn't good enough and isn't going to waste any time making changes. They were a treadmill team from 2007-2011 wasting years for nothing, and don't want to repeat that again. It's the reason they dumped Smith and ended that era so quickly in 2011 or whenever it was and it's why they'll get rid of Horford and/or Teague. Horford has an expiring deal as well doesn't he?

Clippers are in the same situation. Highly doubt they'll trade Blake, but if they get nowhere this year it will definitely be time to make moves, Paul doesn't have long left and they should definitely focus the team around Blake if they deem him worthy.

Kings it would be a massive backwards move, but there's going to come a time when Cousins has enough and the Kings have enough. They've gone through a rotation of coaches, two owners and multiple GMs and have got nowhere and are still light years from a title with Cousins.

I agree with the general premise, but it depends on the situation and the level of player.

Take the Clippers for example. Their core have been together for a few years now and they haven't looked like getting over the hump to the finals... and unlike the Thunder, they don't have post-season injuries to blame, and without moving one of their big 3 contracts, they aren't really gonna be able to change that identity. In almost every other circumstance I would hope they keep Blake and get rid of one, or both, of Paul and Jordan. But right now you have a Blake with off-court/chemistry issues, and if you can another superstar like Cousins on return (which would also allow you to move Jordan- who I think is very limited) then I would do that 1-1 swap. 5

And with the Hawks - they are also stuck in no-mans land. They can keep things steady and just hope things elsewhere play into their hands (see '04 Pistons) - but otherwise, they don't really have a team that is gonna get to the finals, or be a favourite to win it.
Also, they are stuck with Horford in a position where he could easily walk away in 6 months. If he comes to them and says - I'm leaving in Free Agency, then you've gotta do what you can to keep some decent pieces in return for him.

So the NBA could be trialing sponsors on their playing kits in the next season or so. I think it's an amazing feat that they had lasted that long without them, they actually look pretty good without corporate logos (aside from the league logo and adidas or soon to be nike logos for the clothing brand of the uniform).

Living in a world where corporate logos on team gear is the norm in Australia, the AFL jumpers would look different without any on. I always saw the NBA guernseys as selling the team and the state of the team more than anything (well duhhh I hear you say lol).

I think the reason why US pro sports teams have existed without this for so long is private ownership, and a lot more money being in the game and the leagues in general. Very different structure than footy in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back