Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really an unpopular opinion (I hope) but Cricket should always be a national sport. Despite being an Indian supporter I would happily give up the 2007 T20 WC if it meant the IPL and subsequent domestic t20 comps wouldn't exist. It probably was inevitable though.

Spirit of the Game is nonsense. I mean think about it this way. People loved all the trash talking that Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan did in the NBA and people love the character in sports yet cricket is like the only one where we go on the ad nauseam of spirit of the game. We love the aggressiveness in so many sports but cricket is exempt which is really weird.

To say that only Australia sledges is naive. All teams dish it out. It's the highest level in cricket, it is going to be competitive with different personalities. I love that all teams are aggressive on the field. If I want nice sport, I'll go to the local game on Saturday. I personally don't sledge because I don't have the wit to think of something awesome without being crass.

I felt Steve Waugh toed the line perfectly; ruthless on the field, tried to intimidate the opposition, but never tried to intimidate the umpires, always professional and was respectful off the pitch to the opposition. I felt it started to go downhill under Ponting, who could be petulant on and off the field.

Obviously never watched Stuart Board bowl?
Broad is a bit of a w***er, but he's in the minority in that side - as much as it hurts to say it considering they're England.

Spirit of the Game is nonsense. I mean think about it this way. People loved all the trash talking that Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan did in the NBA and people love the character in sports yet cricket is like the only one where we go on the ad nauseam of spirit of the game. We love the aggressiveness in so many sports but cricket is exempt which is really weird.

To say that only Australia sledges is naive. All teams dish it out. It's the highest level in cricket, it is going to be competitive with different personalities. I love that all teams are aggressive on the field. If I want nice sport, I'll go to the local game on Saturday. I personally don't sledge because I don't have the wit to think of something awesome without being crass.
Rugby Union and Golf are two other sports where its highly frowned upon to play outside the spirit of the game. Tennis too, though we can thank the massive acclaim around John McEnroe screaming at umpires for that changing. Thankfully the top players in the world, like Federer and Djokovic, are by and large class acts.

cricket isnt a contact sport (neither is bball, but it at least has clashing bodies in close proximity). there is distance between batsmen and fielding team. no physical contact, which gives rise to tempers and some verbals.

NBA made trash talking famous. but the sport became cool in the 90s with starter caps, puffy jackets and jerseys. by extension everything associated with the sport/league is cool too. except maybe fathering many children to different mothers across the states of usa

It's just an archaic thing though. Spirit of the game doesn't make the laws. It's the whole mankad thing and uch.

Broad is a bit of a ******, but he's in the minority in that side - as much as it hurts to say it considering they're England.

Jimmy anderson has been one of the most consistent s**t talkers in the sport, stokes never shuts up (although in fairness half of the abuse is aimed at himself) and recently retired/axed players like kp prior swann ect were up with the biggest sledgers in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy anderson has been one of the most consistent s**t talkers in the sport, stokes never shuts up (although in fairness half of the abuse is aimed at himself) and recently retired/axed players like kp prior swann ect were up with the biggest sledgers in the game.

Yeah, that Anderson is all class...

ashes-cricket.jpg

Brendan McCullum is incredibly overrated and all this coverage of his farewell tour as if he's a legend of the game is embarrassing.

Once it became possible for players to earn millions of dollars a year I don't blame them for not playing "in the spirit" of the game. Anyway I was taught to sledge in under 12s so I've always thought it was fair game as well. Mankad? Why not? Walking? Only if the car is out of petrol.

Brendan McCullum is incredibly overrated and all this coverage of his farewell tour as if he's a legend of the game is embarrassing.
100 consecutive Tests is not to be sneezed at, and my respect for him grew a lot in the way he led NZ, against Pakistan in the wake of Phillip Hughes' death.

Not entirely convinced he's a Test batsman. He's probably got three, maybe just two, innings to score or they might move Khawaja up and bring Marsh in for the Third Test.

Marsh is a stopgap unfortunately, you'd be better off opening with him and leaving Khawaja in at three where he's making runs.
I think Burns is a Test batsman, but not an opening one, needs to be batting at 4/5. I'd prefer Handscomb or either of the young Queenslanders to him to him in the middle order though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back