Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a quick look i can't find too many top class batsman who get bowled quite as often as Clarke.

Dravid was bowled a lot, 55/286 dismissals, about 19%.
Felt like the stumps were taking a beating every innings last time he was down here.

My prediction is that when it actually matters in SA he will deliver.
Mine too. Everytime we play a series against South Africa we hear the same thing. Their fast bowlers will do this and that, AB de Villiers is a champ, and the fact is, we've rarely lost a series to them in the last 20 years.

Mine too. Everytime we play a series against South Africa we hear the same thing. Their fast bowlers will do this and that, AB de Villiers is a champ, and the fact is, we've rarely lost a series to them in the last 20 years.
Haven't we lost 3 of the last 5, with one tied series?

We haven't beaten them for awile......

We've lost our last two home series against South Africa...

Isn't it 2 of the last 5?

2012/13
Australia vs South Africa 3 Tests (South Africa win 1-0)
South Africa vs Australia 2 Tests (Series Drawn 1-1)
South Africa vs Australia 3 Tests (Australia win 2-1)
2008/09
Australia vs South Africa 3 Tests (South Africa win 2-1)

I don't really see a point going back any further but yes we won basically all our series before that with our great team of the time. (I think we won 11 of the 12 tests before 2008/09)

We've played the Saffers better than anyone else recently.

2012/13
Australia vs South Africa 3 Tests (South Africa win 1-0)
South Africa vs Australia 2 Tests (Series Drawn 1-1)
South Africa vs Australia 3 Tests (Australia win 2-1)
2008/09
Australia vs South Africa 3 Tests (South Africa win 2-1)

I don't really see a point going back any further but yes we won basically all our series before that with our great team of the time. (I think we won 11 of the 12 tests before 2008/09)

We've played the Saffers better than anyone else recently.
Very unlucky to lose the last series too IMO.

This is just an opinion. I think it is more popular than unpopular. South Africa has, by far, a better starting fast bowling trio than us or anyone else by a fair margin. However, Australia has much greater depth in our fast bowling stocks and a lot of those are still young/youngish so in a few years time we will have the best attack for a long time after that. This will keep Australia very competitive in all forms for the next 10 years even if our batting/spin bowling future are nowhere near as rosy.

My Proof:

Faulkner (young)
Pattinson (young)
Bird (youngish)
Starc (young/ish)
Cummins (young)
Hazelwood (young)
Coulter-Nile (youngish)

Not really on the radar at all but guys who I really like the look of

Sayers (very underrated) (youngish)
Sandhu (young)
Behrendorff (young)
McDermott (young)

All guys not in the starting 11 of the test side atm. Bird is the oldest at 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sayers won't succeed at test level. Hatings without the batting

Swings it a bit more but I agree. Might do allright in New Zealand and England but we will have better/just as good options who will perform elsewhere.

In the modern game you needed a certain minimum pace to succeed at test level.

This is just an opinion. I think it is more popular than unpopular. South Africa has, by far, a better starting fast bowling trio than us or anyone else by a fair margin. However, Australia has much greater depth in our fast bowling stocks and a lot of those are still young/youngish so in a few years time we will have the best attack for a long time after that. This will keep Australia very competitive in all forms for the next 10 years even if our batting/spin bowling future are nowhere near as rosy.

My Proof:

Faulkner (young)
Pattinson (young)
Bird (youngish)
Starc (young/ish)
Cummins (young)
Hazelwood (young)
Coulter-Nile (youngish)

Sandhu (young)
Behrendorff (young)
McDermott (young)

The point I was trying to make was that irrespective of media driven talent, there has never been a lot between Australia and South Africa other than opinion. I personally think we'll beat them.

My Proof:

Faulkner (young)
Pattinson (young)
Bird (youngish)
Starc (young/ish)
Cummins (young)
Hazelwood (young)
Coulter-Nile (youngish)

Sandhu (young)
Behrendorff (young)
McDermott (young)

A nice thought - but none of these guys have proven they have what it takes for a long career. Pattinson has had a great start, and Cummins has played one good test - but every country has 'Good young kids coming through'. We really don't know until they are chucked in.

Brutal. So no reason jk?
Bowling will never be strong enough to be a top 4 bowler, even moreso when you consider the depth of fast bowling in Australia. Very good shot-maker but hasn't got the technique and temperament to bat top 7. Even batting at 7 is a little high I believe.

Bowling will never be strong enough to be a top 4 bowler, even moreso when you consider the depth of fast bowling in Australia. Very good shot-maker but hasn't got the technique and temperament to bat top 7. Even batting at 7 is a little high I believe.

Can't help but disagree. The bloke was blocking balls back down the pitch when his side needed 25 off 12 and 11 balls to win. I don't think he would be good enough to bat top 6, so a lot may depend on Wade/Paine in the future

Can't help but disagree. The bloke was blocking balls back down the pitch when his side needed 25 off 12 and 11 balls to win. I don't think he would be good enough to bat top 6, so a lot may depend on Whiteman in the future
efa

Can't help but disagree. The bloke was blocking balls back down the pitch when his side needed 25 off 12 and 11 balls to win. I don't think he would be good enough to bat top 6, so a lot may depend on Wade/Paine in the future
agree with this. I really rate Wade as a batsman so if his keeping gets up to scratch I'd be more than comfortable to have Faulkner at 7 behind him.

Can see Faulkner continually improving his batting for a few years and the thing working in his favour is he may never average more than 35 with the bat but like Flintoff and to a lesser extent Symonds before him his batting will be good for it's x factor ability to take the game away from the opposition.

There's a joke around the CA camp that he always protects his average in FC cricket because he can grind out 50s without throwing away his wicket.

He can stay in when he needs to and make the leap he has too. He's 23, only a few decent seasons of a 40 - 45 average with the bat to start to be looked at as a number 6. Probably wont rise at rapidly as Watson did in the batting department but the skills certainly there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back