Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Does " I really want odi cricket to cease to exist after the 2015 World Cup" belong on the popular or unpopular opinions thread?

Does " I really want odi cricket to cease to exist after the 2015 World Cup" belong on the popular or unpopular opinions thread?

Popular definitely. I agree with AB though, arse 20/20 from international cricket and leave it to domestic and just play ODIs and Tests, ODIs will stay popular that way.

No. ODI cricket far better than T20 cricket.

I have tried and tried to get into T20, but it just doesn't work for me at international level, its a domestic game only in my opinion.

No. ODI cricket far better than T20 cricket.

Odi has been surpassed by not only a superior format in t20 but a more commercially viable one.

As someone mentioned before, Odis were good but have become stale and similar to each Game that precedes it.

I think all formats are viable if they are played more domestically and have their respective world cups. No chance of that while the Indians flock to watch India vs. Sri. Lanka over and over and over and over again.

As per the rules he retired hurt. Had he not died but just sat out the game with concussion there would be no change to the scorecard. This is just gimmicky symbolism. Honour him with a ceremony and remember him as he was, and that means being truthful about what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's an unpopular opinion. I haven't been able to read many of the poems about Phil Hughes circulating the web. I've started them and been overcome, not by emotion but just how trite and superfiicially written these things are. It's Victorian levels of schmaltz.

I hope someone is gaining something from the writing of them but they are the purest doggerel in the main and I don't like the cheapening of emotions that I feel they generate.

The only one I was able to get through was BCCI's -Bored, Cricket, Crazy Indians.

Reminds me more of Shane bond. I hope he can become what bond could have been if he wasn't injured all the time.
Check Varun Aaron on this tour. Burst on the scene at a similar age, been injured for nearly 2 years and will be back now.

Many quicks cop injuries at some stage, and not all come back, but most will with the right management and a little bit of luck.

Here's an unpopular opinion. I haven't been able to read many of the poems about Phil Hughes circulating the web. I've started them and been overcome, not by emotion but just how trite and superfiicially written these things are. It's Victorian levels of schmaltz.

I hope someone is gaining something from the writing of them but they are the purest doggerel in the main and I don't like the cheapening of emotions that I feel they generate.

The only one I was able to get through was BCCI's -Bored, Cricket, Crazy Indians.
I have come to detest almost all symbolism associated with tragedies. It is almost as if the symbols themselves become sacred, and no one must offer a dissenting opinion. The more dramatic or theatrical the symbols are is meant to represent how deep the tragedy has touched us. There is almost a competitive element to how celebrity tragedies are observed.

I heard that in some cases, the one minute silence for Hughes before games was 'extended to 63 seconds'. Junior cricketers retired on 63*. The whole 'put out your bat' idea. I don't get it. If people need to perform some symbolic act to get over a tragedy, they are merely showing how they have been conditioned to respect rituals as a 'magical' relief - very religious-like.

It's not showing respect - it's following a fashion, following the crowd, and trying to be clever. A one-minute silence is a traditional way of showing respect at public events (and, yes, it's a ritual, but has been around for many, many years). Extending it to 63 seconds is just a gimmick, and diminishes the impact.

I have come to detest almost all symbolism associated with tragedies. It is almost as if the symbols themselves become sacred, and no one must offer a dissenting opinion. The more dramatic or theatrical the symbols are is meant to represent how deep the tragedy has touched us. There is almost a competitive element to how celebrity tragedies are observed.

I heard that in some cases, the one minute silence for Hughes before games was 'extended to 63 seconds'. Junior cricketers retired on 63*. The whole 'put out your bat' idea. I don't get it. If people need to perform some symbolic act to get over a tragedy, they are merely showing how they have been conditioned to respect rituals as a 'magical' relief - very religious-like.

It's not showing respect - it's following a fashion, following the crowd, and trying to be clever. A one-minute silence is a traditional way of showing respect at public events (and, yes, it's a ritual, but has been around for many, many years). Extending it to 63 seconds is just a gimmick, and diminishes the impact.

Social media just makes this things hard to rein in, everyone wants to get involved lest they appear to not care.

I think making it 63 seconds made it unique - which typified the situation as it was a tragedy that was very unique - an elite cricketer passing away in the heat of battle. It needed to be dealt with in such a manner because of the effect the incident had and has the potential to have on the game as a whole. Players - particularly junior players needed to understand the freak nature of the incident - which they did.

If putting bats out, observing 63 seconds of silence, black armbands or whatever allows people to deal with and move on then so be it. Cricket has shown its true colours in dire circumstances.

Check Varun Aaron on this tour. Burst on the scene at a similar age, been injured for nearly 2 years and will be back now.

Many quicks cop injuries at some stage, and not all come back, but most will with the right management and a little bit of luck.

Saw him bowl live in that two day game recently. Looked very good to me

I think making it 63 seconds made it unique - which typified the situation as it was a tragedy that was very unique - an elite cricketer passing away in the heat of battle. It needed to be dealt with in such a manner because of the effect the incident had and has the potential to have on the game as a whole. Players - particularly junior players needed to understand the freak nature of the incident - which they did.

If putting bats out, observing 63 seconds of silence, black armbands or whatever allows people to deal with and move on then so be it. Cricket has shown its true colours in dire circumstances.

one must wonder what may have happened if hughes was on a low score, say 5, when the freak accident took him away from us far too early. would cricketers nation wide retire on 5?

we'll never know.

rodney malcolm hogg today blasted callers who complained about their schedules being thrown out of whack due to movement of test dates. he said those people are living in their own bubble of selfishness.

i can see both sides.

unpopular opinion held by at least 1 person - people are clambering over each other to big note themselves via way of social media - tweeting words of grief, updating status asking why God didn't take their own life away instead of Phil.... i know everyone has their own way of dealing with this shocking event. but there are those who seek to profit from this, and it disgusts me to my very core.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back