Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah at first I scoffed at the Cricket WC being that high rated but even when you think about it most of the major nations for Rugby play cricket and then you add the sub continent. On pure numbers of supporters it would probably be second. Basketball potentially has more numbers but just doesn't seem that big a deal for some reason
Because America dominates the Basketball World Cup to the point they barely take it seriously

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
"Facing increased competition, the USA failed to win a medal at the 2002 FIBA World Championship, finishing sixth. The 2004 Summer Olympic team lost three games on its way to a bronze medal, a record that represented more losses in a single year than the country's Olympic teams had suffered in all previous Olympiads combined."

Exactly my point. First they had the amateur Era, then the dominant Dream Team. Post Dream Team. They didn't take the game seriously. Playing as individuals and hence struggling as seen above.

Since they have tried to put more cohesive teams together they have dominated. As seen by winning the last two world cups

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
"Facing increased competition, the USA failed to win a medal at the 2002 FIBA World Championship, finishing sixth. The 2004 Summer Olympic team lost three games on its way to a bronze medal, a record that represented more losses in a single year than the country's Olympic teams had suffered in all previous Olympiads combined."

Exactly my point. First they had the amateur Era, then the dominant Dream Team. Post Dream Team. They didn't take the game seriously. Playing as individuals and hence struggling as seen above.

Since they have tried to put more cohesive teams together they have dominated. As seen by winning the last two world cups

They could have won the tournaments they lost in on talent alone. They only had themselves to blame. Whether it's cohesiveness or "not taking it seriously" or whatever, they got outplayed numerous times with the teams they presented. "So dominant that you don't even try" doesn't mean a thing when you get beaten fair and square when you do "bother" to front up. The end result is all that matters, not could haves or should haves or maybes.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Yes it is. See prices on offer for tickets to Australia vs Uruguay. Look at how big Twickenham is and how often it sells out

Twickenham selling out isn't necessarily an indication of how big rugby is there as it's in the heart of rugby territory, England games will always sell out there and there are plenty of Aussies, Kiwis, Saffas living in London as well as Irish, Scots, Welsh and French plus people travelling over for games so even non-England games will still pull good crowds.

It was more in terms of media coverage where I said the Rugby WC isn't that big there as it takes a backseat to football especially if England aren't doing that well. The majority of the English public don't give a rats arse about rugby unless England are winning stuff and then they jump on the bandwagon, you could probably say the same about Australia with the Wallabies.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Twickenham selling out isn't necessarily an indication of how big rugby is there as it's in the heart of rugby territory, England games will always sell out there and there are plenty of Aussies, Kiwis, Saffas living in London as well as Irish, Scots, Welsh and French plus people travelling over for games so even non-England games will still pull good crowds.

Australia vs Uruguay is at Villa Park I think. I agree that is nothing compared to soccer over here. Then again nothing is.

They could have won the tournaments they lost in on talent alone. They only had themselves to blame. Whether it's cohesiveness or "not taking it seriously" or whatever, they got outplayed numerous times with the teams they presented. "So dominant that you don't even try" doesn't mean a thing when you get beaten fair and square when you do "bother" to front up. The end result is all that matters, not could haves or should haves or maybes.

Think basketball is it's own kettle of fish (and therefore a bad comparison) because they have a culture amongst players where palming off the national team seemingly becomes the norm when you reach a certain fame, it's really different to pretty much all others in that regard.

If you had everyone fit and available you could definitely make one team that would have beat the team that the US put out for the world cup last year, potentially even two.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Think basketball is it's own kettle of fish (and therefore a bad comparison) because they have a culture amongst players where palming off the national team seemingly becomes the norm when you reach a certain fame

Not really.

The main difference appears to be that the vast majority of international basketball is tournament play or tournament qualification, or for some sort of prize or trophy. "International friendlies" are pretty much non-existent in basketball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea

10Dulkar

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Something which is unpopular in Irish cricket is the idea of an all-island top league for 50-over cricket underneath the interprovincial structure. Even a united Northern Ireland league competition between our two cricket unions would be preferable to the current situation but it won't come in because of 'amateurs' already saying the game takes up too much of their weekends and our unreliable weather making it a pain to travel 4 or 5 hours only for the game to be called off.

On non-test sides in the World Cup, it's all well and good saying that one agrees with the ICC except the ICC's argument for less non-test nations is not a cricketing one but a power and money grab. The podcast I linked to on the Associate and Affiliate thread goes into this in more detail.

Apr 1, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NAFC
How many basketball players would rather win a World Cup than an NBA Championship?

Surely close to 0?
The only ones I could maybe see choosing the World Cup of the NBA Championship would be veteran European players who have already won an NBA title or several. I could potentially see Parker or Ginobili wanting to win a World Cup for France or Argentina respectively rather than a 5th Spurs title. Pau Gasol already won a FIBA gold in 2006. I think Nowitzki would rather a 2nd NBA Championship. That might be about it.

So that's maybe 2 players in the NBA.

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
Watson has only taken 2 wickets since 1st Jan 2014 and has not scored many runs..

How is he still such a lock.

Play Smith at 3 and be done with it

smith, clarke and bailey, maxwell and you are set. australia don't need watsons bowling anymore in ODI's. Watson must have some serious leverage to still be in the side or he is a serious pawn in the politics of Cricket Australia.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
smith, clarke and bailey, maxwell and you are set. australia don't need watsons bowling anymore in ODI's. Watson must have some serious leverage to still be in the side or he is a serious pawn in the politics of Cricket Australia.

Drop Bailey for Mitch Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back