Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Voges, Voges, Voges.

Failed 3 times when Australia needed him most. Cant help but think his position would have been better served with the future in mind.

Against the West Indies he came in at 3/61 and scored an unbeaten 130 while the rest of the top order collapsed around him.

I'd say he was more "needed" in that scenario than he was coming in at 3/383.

The reason that NSW have accounted for a considerable portion of australian teams over the years is because they have had a lot of the best players and the best internal system (grade cricket etc), rather than selection bias.
Dude. This sort of talk is nonsense ;)

At easts in Sydney we had one bloke come from perth with a pretty good first grade record there. Could barely bowl. s**t bloke too. If it weren't for his perth reputation he wouldn't have made it out of third grade.

There are fringe first graders in Sydney who could get paid gigs elsewhere.

Dude. This sort of talk is nonsense ;)

At easts in Sydney we had one bloke come from perth with a pretty good first grade record there. Could barely bowl. s**t bloke too. If it weren't for his perth reputation he wouldn't have made it out of third grade.

There are fringe first graders in Sydney who could get paid gigs elsewhere.

Yeh, I remember browsing through the Sydney grade scores a season or two back, and a county bowler who had around 100 first class wickets started in the seconds for a couple of games.

Yeh, I remember browsing through the Sydney grade scores a season or two back, and a county bowler who had around 100 first class wickets started in the seconds for a couple of games.
Andrew Strauss did * all for mosman when he played there around turn of the century. Played a lot of second grade.

Kevin pieterson did well, albeit on the back a few big innings.

A few county battlers have done well (ian Salisbury, Jeff Cook) and a few guys who are good county cricketers have struggled. Familiarity with the conditions and oppositions seems quite important. It's not a competition you can swan into and expect to dominate.

Monty panesar got dominated. Shoaib akhtar did * all (although reports are he was on the piss the whole time)...

The sydney grade cricket comp would have to be close to the strongest amatuer sporting comp in the world.

People give Starc way too much crap. He averages 31 with the ball in Tests, which is not that bad for a guy who hasn't really hit his straps yet in the long format. Brett Lee played plenty of Tests in a much stronger team with a similar record.

Steve Smith was picked first because he'd had outstanding seasons with the bat in first class cricket and the selectors were desperate for him to be an allrounder. Mitch Marsh is far more of a speculative pick. All young players are picked on the basis of future promise. It's what they offer.

And sorry but you have rocks in your head if you think the second bolded thing will not happen now. I expect Watson to continue his test career soonish and probably batting at the place in the line-up he is least likely to succeed in. Punter hung on too long, Clarke may do too and the selectors are not likely to drop a player of Clarke's stature.

Jesus you're pessimistic.

People give Starc way too much crap. He averages 31 with the ball in Tests, which is not that bad for a guy who hasn't really hit his straps yet in the long format. Brett Lee played plenty of Tests in a much stronger team with a similar record.
He hasn;t hit his straps for NSW let alone Australia.. maybe the selectors should let him do that first.

Starc will be a very good bowler for us. It is a bit difficult having he and Johnson in the save line up at times because they are both very aggressive bowlers which generally means they will go for runs. If they both go for runs in the same match it makes it hard.

I didn't like the reports of what Lehmann said. They've given Watson so many chances regardless of what you get from him. I don't for a minute think that he's done in test cricket.

He should be for all money barring injury, perhaps (Marsh is injury prone).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't like the reports of what Lehmann said. They've given Watson so many chances regardless of what you get from him. I don't for a minute think that he's done in test cricket.

I certainly do, can't think of anyone who has had more chances than him and not delivered. Plus at the age he's at and with a genuinely good replacement emerging, hard to see how he can get back in.

Ok, you're right, let's put Watson back in because Marsh might get injured and Watson never get inj... wait

Nah.

Just saying that if Marsh gets injured, Watson would be the logical inclusion.

There really isn't another allrounder candidate, especially not for this series.

If marsh tweaked something and couldn't bowl the logical thing would be pick his brother to replace him but the older marsh can't bowl so of course they would go back to watto.

Selectors are obsessed with a 4th quick who bats in the top 7 and that thinking isn't going to change if marsh gets hurt.

Lol. Hard to think Stoinis is even being bought up given how he went for WA. Oh how times have changed.
Just goes to show Victoria's development is better than WA's.

notserious.

Unpopular opinions eh...

Oh for the days when our battling lineup didn't occasionally resemble a pack of amateurs.

Now we have players like Voges and Marsh getting tests, Burns not getting a look in and persisting with Rogers who's looked s**t against any team other than England, Watson always on the edge of will he or won't he, Haddin won't retire and the team looking like they're playing on the raggedy edge half the time.

* me, people are pining for the return of S.Marsh. Have you all forgotten his past tests? It's the same as Phil Hughes (rip) getting a lot of chances and fluffing each one.

Some people just can't see that some players are just good first class cricketers and shitty test cricketers.

Surely the state of national cricket can't be such that old cloggers like Voges, on the edge of retirement, are finally debuting.

I defer judgement to those that have a clue with it comes to state cricket, but if Voges is the best that's on offer, then as a country we're ****ed in 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back