Unpopular Media Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Echoing earlier sentiments: Community, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Scrubs etc. are s**t. They all appeal to young, hip 20-something year olds who love the quirky and zany nature of the shows. The same crowd who loves Ronda Rousey (zomg she is gurl and she fites nd she likes Pokemon!! XD XD)

How much Always Sunny have you actually watched? As someone who is an avid fan I would never mention it alongside Scrubs or Community, and 'a quirky zany nature that appeals to hip 20 year olds' is not what this show has at all, the appeal is about the depravity and dishonesty of the main characters. Also, I really don't give a s**t about Ronda Rousey.

I think that description is bang on for Scrubs and Community though FWIW.

I'm guessing it depends on the episode but yeah i agree.

Actually watched one the other night for the first time in a VERY long time and it was absolutely brilliant.
I've seen every episode at least 6-7 times and they are all IMO brilliant. All cleverly tie in all characters sub-plots together each episode. Kramer was huge in the 90's but I think George Costanza makes the show. Brilliantly written and perfectly executed.

John Oliver is garbage. He appeals to pseudo-intellectual hipsters and libtards by trotting out 'safe' and commonly held opinions.

Oliver: Not all Muslims are terrorists!
*crowd cheers*
Oliver: It's not like Christians have ever killed in the name of their religion, right?!
*crowd laughs and cheers*
Oliver: It's 2015 for God's sake!
Oliver: 2015 people!
Oliver: 2015!

Spare me :rolleyes:

Just had a look at his most watched youtube videos:
1) booo FIFA corruption
2) booo beauty pageants
3) booo the wealth gap
4) booo government surveillance
5) booo white police
6) booo student debt

etc.

All with him yelling out unfunny "jokes" between his obvious arguments.

How much Always Sunny have you actually watched?
A bit a while ago. I could never get into it.

John Oliver is garbage. He appeals to pseudo-intellectual hipsters and libtards by trotting out 'safe' and commonly held opinions.

*crowd cheers*
Oliver: It's not like Christians have ever killed in the name of their religion, right?!

1) booo FIFA corruption
2) booo beauty pageants
3) booo the wealth gap
5) booo white police
6) booo student debt

etc.

you sound terrible

It is kind of true about Oliver: sometimes I watch those essay segments and wonder why he's taking the easy way out on a subject. At the same time, it is a comedy show that airs on TV and subsequently needs ratings, so you're gonna get some simplistic stuff that makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside for agreeing with. Luckily I think he has a good balance of informing people as well as entertaining people.

*crowd cheers*

1) booo FIFA corruption
2) booo beauty pageants
3) booo the wealth gap
5) booo white police
6) booo student debt

etc.

For me he's hit and miss depending on whether or not I agree with his opinion.

He's great on Community though.

Yeah I think Oliver balances it out well. Popular views but goes slightly deeper than the regular news.

The weekly with Charlie Pickering is a direct ripoff of LWT and is just the worst in all the ways you described.

I much as I enjoy Last Week Tonight, John Oliver can step over the boundary at times. There was an episode about 2 months ago that had a feature segment on online harassment and revenge pr0n. These topics should not have featured on the show in such a comedic manner.
Why?

Because making fun at people you have been harrassed online and other similar things is not funny, and it should not be made fun of.
But he's not making fun of them. I just watched the video, at no point does he make fun of the two female online gamers or the revenge pr0n victim.

Nor does he make light of the situation. It's made abundantly clear the tone of the information, whether it is something to take heed of and when it's a joke.

And if you say he shouldn't do the jokes, then that's not really his format, and 5 million people wouldn't have been made aware of the situation which outweighs any misgivings about jokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say that like its a bad thing, i cant be certain but i dont think anyone is claiming SOA is highbrow golden age television. Its entertaining as hell though.

SOA suffered the same fate as what eventually happened to Burn Notice. The main guy just talked his way out of everything, episode after episode, as well as winning every single fist fight, and everything went according to plan. Became very boring and predictable.

Last edited:
But he's not making fun of them. I just watched the video, at no point does he make fun of the two female online gamers or the revenge pr0n victim.

Nor does he make light of the situation. It's made abundantly clear the tone of the information, whether it is something to take heed of and when it's a joke.

And if you say he shouldn't do the jokes, then that's not really his format, and 5 million people wouldn't have been made aware of the situation which outweighs any misgivings about jokes.
Iirc, he made jokes within the discussion. I just think this topic shouldn't have appeared on the show.

Burn Notice. The main guy just talked his way out of everything, episode after episode, and everything went according to plan. Became very boring and predictable.
That show was such a hard watch. He should have died every single episode but he always pulled off the miraculous 1% chance survival manoeuvres.

Iirc, he made jokes within the discussion. I just think this topic shouldn't have appeared on the show.
I disagree quite strongly against that.

His show is built around clips and quotes from (somewhat) credible sources, social commentary and comedy as a medium to raise awareness regarding certain topics.

Fact of the matter is, if there wasn't the comedy element, his videos wouldn't be pulling in an audience of 3-5 million people.

Whether or not you think the comedy is appropriate, I think the matter of raising awareness far outweighs it.

This is why I don't understand the flak that The Project cops. No matter how much you think it's lame and cringeworthy, as long as it's making the news more watchable to peope who otherwise wouldn't, then I think that's a pretty good thing

All of those shows are what they are. They need to tow the PC line and deliver some light humour, they are an alternative to "real news". I dont watch them religiously but they are good to flick on from time to time.

As Nana said they raise issues for people to think about in a non confronting way.

That show was such a hard watch. He should have died every single episode but he always pulled off the miraculous 1% chance survival manoeuvres.

And he'd talk his way out of something using basic psychology that would always work.

A good show, but damn it became stale.

you sound terrible
His show is just an echo chamber for liberal 20-somethings.

Same as that Charlie Pickering tripe that someone else mentioned. It's just self-righteous, condescending s**t. All these political 'comedies' boil down to the same thing: cherry-picking the dumbest arguments on the end of the political spectrum they don't agree with and then reading them out in a mocking, smug voice with some s**t-tier Family Guy style referential humour to make it 'funny'. They carry on like they're the smartest people in the room for foisting pseudo-intellectual garbage onto the TV screens for libtards to tip their fedoras to.

Lol I don't have to prove s**t.

Most people who've watched an episode of Last Week Tonight would disagree with your amusingly ironic assessment.

Yeah, your opinion isn't so contentious I'm going to go to great lengths to disprove it, sorry.

If you see it that way. Good for you. I'll just have to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back