Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Still nothing on WA/some Tassie beaches
It's hardly exclusive to WA or anything though. A lot of NSW & QLD is like that too. Victoria also has some of the most famous beaches in Australia, and for good reason.

It might just be slightly more monocultural in WA due to the highly coastal population, whereas some other states also have sizable interior populations.

It's hardly exclusive to WA or anything though. A lot of NSW & QLD is like that too. Victoria also has some of the most famous beaches in Australia, and for good reason.

It might just be slightly more monocultural in WA due to the highly coastal population, whereas some other states also have sizable interior populations.
Famous beaches: Bells; choppy, pretty uneven, limestony sand. Bondi's probably the most famous and is so bad, the drop is massive and it's packed and it's never settled. Always full of rips and massive sets – sets that don't form nor curl properly so aren't even good for surfing. Manly's alright though. But even Perth's most famous beaches, like Cottesloe, aren't that great – Cott is full of limestone, you can't really have a decent swim there because it's always packed and you have to constantly keep reminding yourself how deep you are or if you're about to stub your toe. Essentially, the fame of the beach means bupkis. Real talk.

Go up north and south of WA and you'll see pretty much the greatest beaches in the world. Better than California, Miami, wherever.

Famous beaches: Bells; choppy, pretty uneven, limestony sand. Bondi's probably the most famous and is so bad, the drop is massive and it's packed and it's never settled. Always full of rips and massive sets – sets that don't form nor curl properly so aren't even good for surfing. Manly's alright though. But even Perth's most famous beaches, like Cottesloe, aren't that great – Cott is full of limestone, you can't really have a decent swim there because it's always packed and you have to constantly keep reminding yourself how deep you are or if you're about to stub your toe. Essentially, the fame of the beach means bupkis. Real talk.

Go up north and south of WA and you'll see pretty much the greatest beaches in the world. Better than California, Miami, wherever.
Famous beaches does not instantly equate to Bells, Bondi and Manly. That's casual beachgoer talk, no one in surf culture really talks all that much about Bondi and Manly. I grew up doing nippers and surfing all through my childhood, and was a surf lifeguard all through high school, in a small town that has produced several superstars of surfing and Ironman (including the Wrights who grew up just down the road from me) and have been up and down the entire east coast, so I know what I'm talking about. Viewing Victoria through the lens of Bells/St Kilda is a mistake.

Famous beaches does not instantly equate to Bells, Bondi and Manly. That's casual beachgoer talk, no one in surf culture really talks all that much about Bondi and Manly. I grew up doing nippers and surfing all through my childhood, and was a surf lifeguard all through high school, in a small town that has produced several superstars of surfing and Ironman (including the Wrights who grew up just down the road from me) and have been up and down the entire east coast, so I know what I'm talking about. Viewing Victoria through the lens of Bells/St Kilda is a mistake.
Yeah, alright, no worries man

To get it back onto music, get your pitchforks ready because ......

Apart from a couple of reasonable to good singles The Smiths were an overrated pile of shite
I haven't gotten into them hugely yet, but I think they are overrated. Their lows aren't very low, their highs really high – amazing stuff – but the album fodder is far from anything astounding.

I see you one Mids, and raise you one Cheynes, one Two Peoples, and a Kalgan River.
Frenchman's Stiff not to get a mention! Two People's has to be one of the most underrated beaches in the world, though, no hyperbole. It even makes Mids look wind-swept. This is all without even mentioning Emu Point – what a nice suburb in the middle of summer at 5pm, by the way – which was never a beach I liked but still one 90% of towns would give a lot to have. I just think Mids, for a main beach, is pretty amazing: how long would it be? The harbour, the trees, the way it's always got a good atmosphere but never gets packed out.

Do you remember the fire down Surfies end nearly ten years ago?

Frenchman's Stiff not to get a mention! Two People's has to be one of the most underrated beaches in the world, though, no hyperbole. It even makes Mids look wind-swept. This is all without even mentioning Emu Point – what a nice suburb in the middle of summer at 5pm, by the way – which was never a beach I liked but still one 90% of towns would give a lot to have. I just think Mids, for a main beach, is pretty amazing: how long would it be? The harbour, the trees, the way it's always got a good atmosphere but never gets packed out.

Do you remember the fire down Surfies end nearly ten years ago?

Heard about it from the family. Was up in Perth til a few years ago.

As for Odyssey Number Five if you think it's mainstream or mundane you need to think again.

So much emotion pouring through that album, if you can't hear that you're deaf.
A couple of things, Odyssey Number Five is mainstream. That doesn't make it bad at all, it just means it's popular, and for good reason.

And if somebody can't hear the emotion, doesn't make them deaf. It just means they don't connect to the music, which is fair enough. Not everyone is going to connect to everything, some people can think that Fall Out Boy is pure bullshit and another can think that it's extremely heartfelt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People don't go to Bondi for the waves...:drunk:
No s**t, but it is wavy and choppy. If it's going to be an unpleasant swimming beach, it'd be okay if it was actually surfable. Alas they're all shapeless and have no decent sections. Overpopulated, the sand isn't that nice to sit on, and if you can't just swim then you'd hope the surf was alright, which it isn't – which was what I was saying.

The east coast has so much going for it but beaches aren't one of them. There are some nice ones but the consistency is shockin. Only European tourists and people who wear shoes on the sand would argue they're the best in the country.

The east coast has so much going for it but beaches aren't one of them. There are some nice ones but the consistency is shockin. Only European tourists and people who wear shoes on the sand would argue they're the best in the country.
How much of the east coast have you actually seen? Or are you just repeating things you've heard or read.

Most people with any marbles couldn't care less about what are considered the best beaches in the country. Maybe in a particular region, but it's all so ridiculously subjective. I find the entire notion of searching for the best beach in the country a little odd, they are often very different with their own charms to me.

How much of the east coast have you actually seen? Or are you just repeating things you've heard or read.

Most people with any marbles couldn't care less about what are considered the best beaches in the country. Maybe in a particular region, but it's all so ridiculously subjective. I find the entire notion of searching for the best beach in the country a little odd, they are often very different with their own charms to me.
Yes, but the nicest ones are always best kept secret.

To get it back onto music, get your pitchforks ready because ......

Apart from a couple of reasonable to good singles The Smiths were an overrated pile of shite

It could be argued that their best album was a collection of b-sides and alternate takes, 'Hatful of Hollow'.

It could be argued that their best album was a collection of b-sides and alternate takes, 'Hatful of Hollow'.
That is a great album but personally don't find it as good as the four studio albums. The Smiths IMO are a very good band. I listen to them in cycles and have never been disappointed.

I find it very hard to believe with all the disgusting things out there using music as a title anyone could put down The Smiths. A nice five year career comprising of a number of great songs including those four albums that could in one song be filled with aggression, sadness, melody and wit. That gives a lot of people pleasure. And given the era has aged well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back