Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oasis are more than just a Beatles cover band.
bluroasis.jpg

Big big house in thaaa countraaaaiiiiii

The Beatles are s**t boring and people who list them as their favourite band are too.

Hey Ya is not the best song so far of the 21st century. Feel Good Inc and Young Folks are as good as or better. Hey Ya's start and hook is incredible but after that it just gets boring. The lyrics are fine for what it is but for a song so great everywhere else, it lets them down. If you want to talk about great melodies and choruses it's still not up there – Amerie's 1 Thing is heaps better, and if it went to a few more places, it'd be the best song of the 2000s.

A pop song should be measured in its cultural impact by as much as it is its intrinsic, independent 'good.' The zeitgeist is its biggest complement, not it's 'timelessness.'

People will remember Miley Cyrus and Blurred Lines more than any other artists in the 2010s.

Damon Albarn is criminally, painfully underrated considering the breadth of his projects and their success commercially (Country House, Demon Days, Girls & Boys) critically (13), and socially (Feel Good Inc., Song 2, Girls & Boys). He is the most significant aid to music and music culture since hip hop.

Radiohead will never make another album above 'yeah, it's alright' again. Thom Yorke's too happy. Conversely, Weezer will make an album as good as Pinkerton and Blue again one day.

Go.

Criticism welcome.

I hated "Hey Ya"! One of the most over-rated songs ever.

I don't think that drugs are needed to make good songs.

Some of my favourite songs are about feelings, such as heartbreak, loss, love and despair.

I've never "got" Blur.

Have a good mate who loves everything Damon Albarn does, but I just can't seem to get into any of his work.
I struggled for a while but I'm firmly into it now. Getting into the singles is easy and at first, you just go through the albums waiting for more of the same – then, one or two songs hit you right away, and then, a few more get better with every listen. You're So Great was the turning point for me, it showed how versatile they were. I used to think of them as such a singles band and now I think of them as probably as one of my two or three favourites

I struggled for a while but I'm firmly into it now. Getting into the singles is easy and at first, you just go through the albums waiting for more of the same – then, one or two songs hit you right away, and then, a few more get better with every listen. You're So Great was the turning point for me, it showed how versatile they were. I used to think of them as such a singles band and now I think of them as probably as one of my two or three favourites
Bloc Party (?) and..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On one hand I really don't care for lyrics/vocals, it is just poetry getting in the way of a good tune.

On the other, most music falls apart without the vocals to hold it together.

Either way they're overrated. I think TISM are lyrically amazing, but the music I find hit and miss and I can't overlook that just cause the words are cool.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I saw Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains all live and Nirvana was the least inspiring by far (AIC the best).

Boring and bland, particularly after the first 2 albums, Smells Like Teen Spirit seems like it is by far their most high energy song, everything else is a dirgy number with uninspiring vocals and music. Also on a personally level I can't stand Kurt Cobain.

Alice in Chains is definitely the best of the early 90s alt rockers

I saw Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains all live and Nirvana was the least inspiring by far (AIC the best).

They never had Tad Doyle stage diving at the Manchester Academy supporting Soundgarden. Nirvana @ The Palace in '92 weren't even the best band on the bill

right place, right time.

personally I think Soundgarden and Alice in chains were better and so were Pearl Jam but I wasn't really a fan of them.

Boring and bland, particularly after the first 2 albums, Smells Like Teen Spirit seems like it is by far their most high energy song, everything else is a dirgy number with uninspiring vocals and music. Also on a personally level I can't stand Kurt Cobain.

Alice in Chains is definitely the best of the early 90s alt rockers

MUDHONEY.

To all the people saying "if you listen to such and such you have a s**t taste in music and/or don't bother talking to me", grow up.

Now onto some opinions:

- Don't get the Beatles. Don't hate them but don't get the love for them, each to their own I guess.

- Prince>>>>Michael Jackson

- If someone slapped a different band name on the cover of St.Anger and no-one had any idea Metallica did it, that album would have had huge praise. I think it beats out anything Metallica did in the 90's besides the Black Album.

- Ride the Lightning is Metallica's best album.

- Ozzy Osbourne>>Dio as lead singer of Black Sabbath. Dio has the better voice but Ozzy suited their style a whole lot better.

Dio was a better vocalist but Ozzy is the ultimate showman.

Interesting interview with Iommi by Rick Wakeman (YES) -

One of the funniest interviews I've ever seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back