Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

there'd be plenty of staunch conservative artists. and plenty of great liberal artists and plenty who don't give a s**t either way.

hitler was an artist...

brecht was a commie...
There will always be exceptions in nearly every part of life though. And some of those exceptions are refreshing. Like if you would overhear a Bunnings worker talking about Dutch paintings from the 17th century or something.

But in general I would think it would be beyond rare for someone passionate about any of the arts to vote for the Liberal party.

Anyway, unpopular opinion.......Foals are the best band to come out the UK this century. Although I might have nostalgic rose tinted glasses because of their live shows.

Anyway, unpopular opinion.......Foals are the best band to come out the UK this century. Although I might have nostalgic rose tinted glasses because of their live shows.

I think their albums have gone in a downwards trajectory since their debut. Antidotes is superb and one of my favourite albums of that decade, Total Life Forever is pretty good also but not as good, but I found Holy Fire pretty average apart from the great track which was "My Number".

None of those albums feature my favourite Foals song though which is "Astronauts and All", the b-side to the "Hummer" single from 2007

I think their albums have gone in a downwards trajectory since their debut. Antidotes is superb and one of my favourite albums of that decade, Total Life Forever is pretty good also but not as good, but I found Holy Fire pretty average apart from the great track which was "My Number".

None of those albums feature my favourite Foals song though which is "Astronauts and All", the b-side to the "Hummer" single from 2007
Yeah I loved getting into them around the Hummer and Mathletics period. And Yannis and Jack's band The Edmund Fitzgerald.

Still like the new stuff though.

Antidotes was mixed pretty poorly and suffered from Sitek mussin them around. They probably waited too long before recording it as well, all the singles lost the punch and energy they used to have. Saying that, Olympics Airways and Red Socks Pugie wouldn't have existed if they'd done it six months earlier...

Total Life Forever is my favourite album by them, such a nice sound... it sounds like smoggy, sweaty, wet black rocks and temples in east Asia. Great sound. I don't really like Spanish Sahara these days at all but This Orient is still my number one from it. The newest album was like U2 or something, it was just lame, but they're a band I just can't enjoy anymore for some reason.

Total Life Forever is my favourite album by them, such a nice sound... it sounds like smoggy, sweaty, wet black rocks and temples in east Asia. Great sound. I don't really like Spanish Sahara these days at all but This Orient is still my number one from it. The newest album was like U2 or something, it was just lame, but they're a band I just can't enjoy anymore for some reason.

Favourite from that album is probably Black Gold

Has a nice intro

Blur are one of the worst bands I've ever heard from one of the lamest genres in 90s music

Most Britpop was awful but Supersonic and Morning Glory by Oasis were awesome. I still cop a lot of flak from people I know for liking those two songs but they at least had a druggy, stoned vibe which I thought worked real well.

Parklife was almost a direct rip off of some 60's song that I can't think of right now. Maybe it was intentional who knows. As I said debut aside I can't find a redeeming quality in their music.

Lazy Sunday Afternoon by The Small Faces is the song I believe your referring to. Given the similarities I imagine it would have to be some kind of homage.

The breakthrough single of their debut is also something of a cash in on the popular Stone Roses and Happy Mondays led 'Madchester' scene of the time.

I don't mind them as a band though they've released some good music here and there.

Lazy Sunday Afternoon by The Small Faces is the song I believe your referring to. Given the similarities I imagine it would have to be some kind of homage.

The breakthrough single of their debut is also something of a cash in on the popular Stone Roses and Happy Mondays led 'Madchester' scene of the time.

I don't mind them as a band though they've released some good music here and there.

Correct and correct.

Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if I'd say it peaked in 2010 but there seems to be a higher percentage of total dross to actually listenable music released in the years since.
All years have their good/bad albums. Admittedly I haven't really cared for much from the last couple of years. But I think that says more about me feeling less engaged than the music output.

Saw a bunch of assorted meatheads and bimbos wearing 'Stereosonic' headbands in the city last Saturday night. I guess that dumb dorky dance music festival is doing the rounds again?

There are fewer conservative musos, but to say they are beyond rare is insane. Most of these are good, some great.

- prince
-Alice cooper
-Johnny ramone
-gene Simmons
-Dave mustaine
-the beach boys
-Neil Peart

Mine. 'Torn' by Creed was one of the best "grunge" songs. Amazing riff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back