Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubber Soul
Abbey Road
Magical Mystery Tour*
The Beatles
Revolver

*if you don't consider MMT canon, slide With the Beatles up into fifth place
Good list, I'd swap Revolver for Rubber Soul, not bothered about MMT not technically being canon.

Kings of Leon have vocal songs, keeping the family ties has stopped some really talented musicians from adding a musical flare to their songs. It's like Phil Collins having primarily drum driven music with a melody thrown over the top as an afterthought.

In five to ten years I expect a group to do some KoL covers and effectively finish the songs.

New Adventures in Hi-Fi is REM's best album.

REM got the balance right with that album, halfway between the too soft radio friendly Out of Time and Automatic for the People and the full on grunge rock of Monster.

Fantastic album and the last album Bill Berry recorded with them.

Peak REM.

I thought Green was their high point. It was my introduction to REM and still my favourite by a long long way.

Green was REM's big break through album into the mainstream, love Orange Crush and a few other songs on it but as a whole album I prefer New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

All their albums are pretty good but they went downhill a bit after Bill Berry left, it wasn't quite the same without him.

I love Cream, but.......no. Not only studio output at a high enough level and simply weren't around long enough.

They still produced an amazing body of work in the short time they were together, obviously The Beatles, Stones and The Who have them covered for longevity and output.

I was more talking about them from a musician point of view, they were three of the finest British rock musicians going around at the time and produced some amazing music together.

They still produced an amazing body of work in the short time they were together, obviously The Beatles, Stones and The Who have them covered for longevity and output.

I was more talking about them from a musician point of view, they were three of the finest British rock musicians going around at the time and produced some amazing music together.

Absolutely. I'm a musician myself, in that respect the Beatles aren't in the same league, the Stones at times (mainly due to Taylor), and The Who give them a good run for their money.

Anybody that likes Radiohead I immediately dismiss as having **** all idea about anything.
Well that's ridiculous, I like Radiohead and I'm playing at the Espy next month, so I must have some idea what I'm doing?

You can't dismiss anyone based on their music tastes. Would you say Brian May can't play guitar if it came out that Lil Wayne is his favourite artist?

Kings of Leon have vocal songs, keeping the family ties has stopped some really talented musicians from adding a musical flare to their songs. It's like Phil Collins having primarily drum driven music with a melody thrown over the top as an afterthought.

In five to ten years I expect a group to do some KoL covers and effectively finish the songs.

Just thinking about it, there is a fair few of their songs that either have a good verse and a weak chorus (eg. "Be Somebody"), or just sound like half-finished ideas that don't really go anywhere.

I do feel like there are some elitists who are missing out on some of KoL's best work in terms of album tracks from their past few releases ("Cold Desert", "No Money", "Don't Matter"), because they're avoiding the band for being "too commercial" now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon! How can you mention my beloved Espy without promoting your band? Give us a name mate :p
No dice :p

It's the semi or Grand final of a BotB gig, not sure which one, and we're playing in the Gershwin room. We've only played like 5-6 gigs together, so not a bad spot to get I think :D

The band is called no dice?
What a horrible band name.

Having said that, a lot of band names are actually horrible, until you hear them a few times and then they just fit. But there have been hardly any band names where I've gone "Wow that's an awesome band name"

The Espy BotBs seemed to start just after my last band split up, I would have loved to play there.

That's probably another of my unpopular opinions, the Espy is my favourite venue. I've been to incredibly good gigs there, and it just has a great atmosphere. Beer could be cheaper, though.

Coming up with decent band names is difficult, especially when you start over thinking it.

It's the semi or Grand final of a BotB gig, not sure which one, and we're playing in the Gershwin room. We've only played like 5-6 gigs together, so not a bad spot to get I think :D

Well that's more than enough info, I'll be there with my custom timtamWB shirt.

The Espy BotBs seemed to start just after my last band split up, I would have loved to play there.

That's probably another of my unpopular opinions, the Espy is my favourite venue. I've been to incredibly good gigs there, and it just has a great atmosphere. Beer could be cheaper, though.

Coming up with decent band names is difficult, especially when you start over thinking it.
I wouldn't say that is unpopular.

Most of the people i know don't understand why The Tote is mine.

I wouldn't say that is unpopular.

Most of the people i know don't understand why The Tote is mine.
I reckon I know more people who hate the Espy than love it.

I've actually never been to the Tote, for whatever reason, but it seems to be the same sort of thing. People either love it or hate it.

Also Dave Grohl is not God, or a musical genius.
Ditto Josh Homme. The way he phrases his music is so annoying. Them Crooked Vultures could have been a lot better if he was able to stick to traditional formula. Elephants - too many changes of tempo. Could have been simpler and better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back