Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

To summarise my point even further, i believe some of the really good bands of the 2000s have been pushed aside by the mainstream to instead promote really dumbed down pop music, to simply promote music based on image alone, even if the song is actually forgettable. It's all about marketing these days instead...

you could take this even further..

Why play the brand new Coldplay song all the time if a new group on the scene releases something brilliant and new and better...

Something has gone spectacularly wrong in the transition of old school A&R standards to the modern day...

I'd say the whole agenda is to make money and that's it..any musicality is not as important..

Last edited:
I'm not denying that spotify, last.fm and youtube make up a slice of the pie of current day mainstream as well...

i just think radio and corporate mainstream playlists could be way better.

the boomers have gold.fm which plays bands like your floyds, zepplins, fleetwoods, beatles etc...

why can't gen x/y have the same quality radio for their generation of good bands/groups...

we have double J, maybe Triple R, yes i agree.

but there just seems to be no respect for the good bands post 2000s, which i believe is an absolute tragedy.

Last edited:
If anything I think Triple R are has gotten better with greater accessibility to underground music.

I don't know. I used to really, really love music. Then I just stopped caring in early my 20s. And just focused on other art forms because I thought they were more "serious". Then I started listening again and although I have opinions about it, I'm very apathetic deep down.

I do see what you are saying about the apathy existing for most of what is featured through the decades, but it just felt a bit more intelligent and well crafted in the past. Maybe i should just focus on the music i like and not care.

Most people I know, and I'm the same think there peak of music life is 16 to 20, of course everyone loves the earlier moments but I'm talking about actually where a song moves you beyond what it should or the lyrics truly are life changing. Shows, parties, etc. So a lot of newer stuff after that doesn't hit the spot. I found myself thinking, has music changed or have I? I think it's both, people in the 60s probably complained about the lack of decent jazz, hippies probably hated electronic music. I'm just talking mainstream but it all goes around in circles.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I am male with feminist sympathies, and I agree that soceity still has a way to generally, and some countries a long long way to go.

But I just heard tina arenas arias speech.

Are women in music and entertainment, the actual entertainers, discriminated against really ? I remember in the seventies when suzi quattro got her number one hit in britain it was the first female for several years. But slowly the trend has changed and for mine, women are much more likely to sell well
R
Is tina talking out of her arias?

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I am male with feminist sympathies, and I agree that soceity still has a way to generally, and some countries a long long way to go.

But I just heard tina arenas arias speech.

Are women in music and entertainment, the actual entertainers, discriminated against really ? I remember in the seventies when suzi quattro got her number one hit in britain it was the first female for several years. But slowly the trend has changed and for mine, women are much more likely to sell well

Is tina talking out of her arse ?
Broadly I'd say yes. The big pop sellers are mostly female (Swift, Beyonce, Perry, Minaj, etc.) but in some genres female artists are few and far between, and there are plenty of male acts who are just as big/bigger. Also there is the whole debate around, are they popular because people think they're good or because they've been objectified/sexualised (i.e. because they're hawt); or if they're only signed for novelty value (i.e. wow a chick who can play rock/punk/metal). It has some weight I think.

Sonic Youth's best stuff came in the 90's
Dinosaur Jr.'s best stuff came in the 00's
Bloc Party's last album above a 6 was Silent Alarm.
1. Goo and Dirty are great albums and I like them more than EVOL and Sister but they're not better than the masterpiece that is Daydream Nation
2. I've only heard YLAOM and Bug so I don't feel qualified to argue
3. Silent Alarm is the only half decent Bloc Party record so yeah p. much agreed

Weezer is s**t and every one of their albums I've heard is bland, forgettable, or grating, or all three.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weezer's "Butterfly" is a sappy and anti-climactic end to Pinkerton.

(*ducks*)
I never saw this post but this is a really good one. Not antagonistic (rich from me, I know), bland, or way too broad and obvious.

And I totally agree. Although by no means a bad song, and interesting in that it's essentially the only acoustic song on any Weezer album (from memory), Pinkerton is such an epic, sludgy, embarrassingly truthful and Really Weird Dude record that could've screamed at the end or gone all Only In Dreams. It seems a little bit of a cop out. For something so disregarding of norms and normality, it's bizarre that he went the Disney (or Disneygay as Weezer nerds'll understand) and ended the LP with something so sweet and metaphorical (even though it's a boring and easy one) after an album that muddled nothing and said everything wrong, so wrongfully straightly.

I've never even thought about that before. And I say this as someone who used to adore Weezer as a teenager. Great post.

Speaking of which, Weezer are a truly horrible band. Even s**t like Pork and Beans, Pig, The Angel and the One, Perfect Situation, Burndt Jamb, Keep Fishin'... I thought those songs were rare germs worthy of a tier shared with the 1990s material. Maybe in a different mood, I'd argue some or even all of those, actually, indeed are. Maybe. But now I just think they're a truly annoying, wimpy, insipid, skinny-fat band for dudes in cargo shorts and the sort of girls who marry Star Wars podcasters.

That's nasty. Sorry.

But yeah, Weezer sort of suck.

Blue is still a surreally well written, anthemic, interesting, and just god damn *in fun album though. It speeds through. So good. Sounds like highways, house parties when you know the thrower and no one but the four or five close mates are there, and hot hot heat in Australia or how you imagine LA would be. Pinkerton is good too. Green is ******* rubbish, bland, and it sounds like it was recorded with an iRiver.

I never understood how Weezer somehow got through to a more "cool" market. It's taking liking bad music ironically to a new level IMO.

Sonic Youth 80s>anything they did after that by a mile.

I never understood how Weezer somehow got through to a more "cool" market. It's taking liking bad music ironically to a new level IMO.

Sonic Youth 80s>anything they did after that by a mile.

****ing Weezer. How the **** anyone listens to that s**t is beyond me. That Buddy Holly s**t should have them executed alone.

Can't agree on Sonic Youth though. Washing Machine is a masterpiece.

Washing Machine is their best.

My top 5 (1980-1999) would be

1. Washing Machine
2. Daydream Nation
3. Dirty
4, Goo
5. Sister

Nice list. Of the more modern ones I love "A Thousand Leaves" too.

Daydream Nation for me.

Brilliant album but something about Washing Machine speaks to me in a way I can't describe. The title track is just about my favourite song of all time*.

*Non Ween.

I never saw this post but this is a really good one. Not antagonistic (rich from me, I know), bland, or way too broad and obvious.

And I totally agree. Although by no means a bad song, and interesting in that it's essentially the only acoustic song on any Weezer album (from memory), Pinkerton is such an epic, sludgy, embarrassingly truthful and Really Weird Dude record that could've screamed at the end or gone all Only In Dreams. It seems a little bit of a cop out. For something so disregarding of norms and normality, it's bizarre that he went the Disney (or Disneygay as Weezer nerds'll understand) and ended the LP with something so sweet and metaphorical (even though it's a boring and easy one) after an album that muddled nothing and said everything wrong, so wrongfully straightly.

I've never even thought about that before. And I say this as someone who used to adore Weezer as a teenager. Great post.

Speaking of which, Weezer are a truly horrible band. Even s**t like Pork and Beans, Pig, The Angel and the One, Perfect Situation, Burndt Jamb, Keep Fishin'... I thought those songs were rare germs worthy of a tier shared with the 1990s material. Maybe in a different mood, I'd argue some or even all of those, actually, indeed are. Maybe. But now I just think they're a truly annoying, wimpy, insipid, skinny-fat band for dudes in cargo shorts and the sort of girls who marry Star Wars podcasters.

That's nasty. Sorry.

But yeah, Weezer sort of suck.

Blue is still a surreally well written, anthemic, interesting, and just god damn ****in fun album though. It speeds through. So good. Sounds like highways, house parties when you know the thrower and no one but the four or five close mates are there, and hot hot heat in Australia or how you imagine LA would be. Pinkerton is good too. Green is ******* rubbish, bland, and it sounds like it was recorded with an iRiver.
Weezer for me are not a great band in terms of innovation or sound. What makes them great for me is that they proved that in an time when bands were (for the most part) sex symbols who partied, picked up super models and were anarchists (even if this was 99% theatrical bullshit) you could still be in a band, and be popular even if you were a D&D playing nerd.

Blue is one of the most band defining debut albums I've ever heard, it was just 4 guys playing music that they felt comfortable making, with no internal or external pressure to be anything else.

Pinkerton is a masterpiece of personal feelings being turned into songs, it pisses me off how much it was canned upon release as the backlash clearly destroyed Rivers' confidence and he was never able to produce anything like it since. He would say in interviews circa 1999 that it was an awful album and he is so embarrassed by it. Now that it has received retrospective acclaim, he tries to reverse his previous feelings and say stuff like 'Yeah, it's a great album'. But I get the feeling he doesn't believe that, and he is afraid to write songs that are too personal out of the fear of feeling that humiliation he felt after Pinkerton's original release.

One thing I disagree with you on though is Keep Fishin', that's a ripper tune.

What makes them great for me is that they proved that in an time when bands were (for the most part) sex symbols who partied, picked up super models and were anarchists (even if this was 99% theatrical bullshit) you could still be in a band, and be popular even if you were a D&D playing nerd.
I will agree that they did get ridiculously famous without following the stereotypes of the time you mentioned. But I don't really think that should be applauded because of the vulgar music in the charts at the time. The majority of bands were not "celebs" then but they just took a little looking to find. Unlike Weezer which were in your face, they were marketed very well.

Does anybody know if The Old Bar in Fitzroy's set times are accurate? I know it depends on a million things but I was wondering if they were notoriously late or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back