Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

So wait, you're telling me that Bon Jovi are not rock? What would you classify them as? And for the record, Nickelback are sometimes rock, sometimes pop. Matchbox 20 are soft rock, Counting Crows are alternative rock. There are lots of different branches off of rock, and all those bands fit into some sort of rock genre.

The thing is that "bad rock" is subjective and referring to it as such makes you just an elitist. The problem these days is people being far too finnicky about genres. It doesn't ******* matter, it's still all music. Some people like some things, other people like other stuff. It doesn't affect you personally, and if it does, maybe it's time to start looking at some other hobbies.
I never said Bon Jovi aren't rock. They are rock but they are cheesy. Rock for chicks if you will.

And stop with this "subjective" bollocks. There's a loose understanding and you're in denial because you can't cope with some of the things you like are treated with disdain from people in the know. There is no doubt that you subscribe to these lists over and over again but as soon as something you like is not rated, you get all antsy and put yourself in denial. It's akin to trying to justify instant coffee is quality because you like it and opinions are subjective. The general consensus is instant coffee is low quality. I'm sure you don't deny that so why do you deny the consensus with rock music?

I'm very recent to the albums of The Church, and I could see myself agreeing. There are certainly a few acts in contention for Australia's best rock band, but they tend to go under the radar the most. Priest=Aura might be one of my favourite albums to listen to loud, completely envelops you.

Getting someone to listen to a band they don't already listen to isn't a massive achievement though.

Get back to me when you've got somebody who loves Regina Spektor to listen to Necrophagist.

The word roll seems neglected a lot when using the word rock in music.
If we are talking "rock" and the definition is to be moved, I personally haven't been by the bands in the above post.
Rock and roll is now it's own seperate genre, which is similar to rockabilly in a way. Think Elvis from the 60's. The thing is that there is no definition of "rock" anymore. There are some bands that clearly don't fit into the genre, such as Owl City to pluck a random example, but there are so many subgenres and branches that mean that a lot of different bands come under the "rock" heading. And again, some people may have been moved by those bands whereas you haven't.

I never said Bon Jovi aren't rock. They are rock but they are cheesy. Rock for chicks if you will.

And stop with this "subjective" bollocks. There's a loose understanding and you're in denial because you can't cope with some of the things you like are treated with disdain from people in the know. There is no doubt that you subscribe to these lists over and over again but as soon as something you like is not rated, you get all antsy and put yourself in denial. It's akin to trying to justify instant coffee is quality because you like it and opinions are subjective. The general consensus is instant coffee is low quality. I'm sure you don't deny that so why do you deny the consensus with rock music?
I don't exactly know what you're getting at. I don't like Nickelback or Bon Jovi, and I'm not a massive fan of Matchbox 20 or Counting Crows, which are the bands you listed. I'm just sick of people constantly saying that they're bad or constantly putting them down just because the main opinion is that they're bad. And if someone doesn't like something that I don't like, then I try and find out why, and if they can't tell me, well then I just think they're missing out. If they do, then I respect their opinion and, well, I still think they're missing out :p But it doesn't really cut me, as I said it's all subjective and people are going to have different opinions on everything. There are very few things in music that are objectively bad.

Oh and for the record, the consensus for the most part will have heard maybe 3 Nickelback songs (just to continue on with the Nickelback example), or maybe only 1 if that, out of at least 100 songs they've written, and so they form a judgement on them. And then if they kind of like them, they go along with the fact that they're "bad" because it's what everyone else says.

Rock and roll is now it's own seperate genre, which is similar to rockabilly in a way. Think Elvis from the 60's. The thing is that there is no definition of "rock" anymore. There are some bands that clearly don't fit into the genre, such as Owl City to pluck a random example, but there are so many subgenres and branches that mean that a lot of different bands come under the "rock" heading. And again, some people may have been moved by those bands whereas you haven't.

I don't exactly know what you're getting at. I don't like Nickelback or Bon Jovi, and I'm not a massive fan of Matchbox 20 or Counting Crows, which are the bands you listed. I'm just sick of people constantly saying that they're bad or constantly putting them down just because the main opinion is that they're bad. And if someone doesn't like something that I don't like, then I try and find out why, and if they can't tell me, well then I just think they're missing out. If they do, then I respect their opinion and, well, I still think they're missing out :p But it doesn't really cut me, as I said it's all subjective and people are going to have different opinions on everything. There are very few things in music that are objectively bad.

Oh and for the record, the consensus for the most part will have heard maybe 3 Nickelback songs (just to continue on with the Nickelback example), or maybe only 1 if that, out of at least 100 songs they've written, and so they form a judgement on them. And then if they kind of like them, they go along with the fact that they're "bad" because it's what everyone else says.
Although I said rock. I hate using genre titles period. It was a lot more useful when it was used in categorising sections in record stores. And also going back venues booking bands based on whether they were jazz or bluegrass. But now people are much more open to seeing different bands live or listening to bands that are sick of playing a single style. Labelling everything has led to not rock but punk rock, hard rock, post rock, post metal, post punk, new wave, no wave, screamo, skramz, folk, folk punk, and the list could probably go on forever. So you're right the word rock doesn't mean anything anymore. Same as most genres I think.

Unpopular opinion maybe. I don't like encores at gigs.

Although I said rock. I hate using genre titles period. It was a lot more useful when it was used in categorising sections in record stores. And also going back venues booking bands based on whether they were jazz or bluegrass. But now people are much more open to seeing different bands live or listening to bands that are sick of playing a single style. Labelling everything has led to not rock but punk rock, hard rock, post rock, post metal, post punk, new wave, no wave, screamo, skramz, folk, folk punk, and the list could probably go on forever. So you're right the word rock doesn't mean anything anymore. Same as most genres I think.

Unpopular opinion maybe. I don't like encores at gigs.
Oh I completely agree. For me, I just listen to music. I don't care if it's jazz, or metal, or electronica, or classical, or whatever other million genres there are. I'll write music in whatever genre I'm feeling, I'll listen to whatever I want. But apart from the ones that are so blatantly in that genre, like Miles Davis for Jazz, Metallica for metal, AC/DC for rock etc. then they fit into one of the million sub genres that don't really mean anything.

Encores I don't really have an opinion on. It's not a surprise any more, unless they come back for a 2nd one, I just kind of expect it. It would be great for the artist to hear that applause when they get back on stage.

That's a Seinfeld post. The post about nothing.

But apart from the ones that are so blatantly in that genre, like Miles Davis for Jazz, Metallica for metal, AC/DC for rock etc. then they fit into one of the million sub genres that don't really mean anything.
Spot on.

I'm very recent to the albums of The Church, and I could see myself agreeing. There are certainly a few acts in contention for Australia's best rock band, but they tend to go under the radar the most. Priest=Aura might be one of my favourite albums to listen to loud, completely envelops you.

Priest=Aura is considered to be one of their best albums by music critics, it's a decent album but quite cold and stark like Radiohead's Kid A which made it a hard album to warm to.

Hologram of Baal from 1998 is probably my favourite Church album, it was a real return to form with Peter Koppes back on board.

This was the lead single that got a bit of airplay on Triple J at the time only because Mikey Robbins is a Church fan.

This is another great song off that album.

I can't recommend that album highly enough, it's an album you can really lose yourself in.

The best description of The Church I heard from a fan was "I dived into the sea of The Church and never looked back".

They're a very rewarding band if you take the time to immerse yourself in their music.

Last edited:
Another unpopular musical opinion.

Powderfinger were the last great Australian rock band and Odyssey Number Five was the last great Australian rock album.

It was popular to bag Powderfinger back in the day because they were so popular but if anyone can name a better Aussie rock band or album since then I'll change my name to Gotye or Vance Joy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tame Impala and Lonerism? They're just a hipster version of Wolfmother.

You'll have to do better than that I'm afraid.

If you seriously think Lonerism is better than Odyssey Number Five let's got song for song and see how they hold up.
Haha gladly!
My ratings in brackets
  1. "Waiting for the Sun" – (3/5)
  2. "My Happiness" – (5/5)
  3. "The Metre" – (2/5)
  4. "Like a Dog" – (2/5)
  5. "Odyssey #5" – (2/5)
  6. "Up & Down & Back Again" – (3.5/5)
  7. "My Kind of Scene" – (4/5)
  8. "These Days" – (4/5)
  9. "We Should Be Together Now" – (3/5)
  10. "Thrilloilogy" –(4/5)
  11. "Whatever Makes You Happy" – (2/5) (32.5/55)=59%

1."Be Above It" (3/5)
2."Endors Toi" (3/5)
3."Apocalypse Dreams" (5/5)
4."Mind Mischief" (4.5/5)
5."Music to Walk Home By" (3.5/5)
6."Why Won't They Talk to Me?" (4/5)
7."Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" (5/5)
8."Keep on Lying" (3/5)
9."Elephant" (5/5)
10."She Just Won't Believe Me" (2/5)
11."Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control" (3/5)
12."Sun's Coming Up" (3/5)
(44/60=73%)

Another unpopular musical opinion.

Powderfinger were the last great Australian rock band and Odyssey Number Five was the last great Australian rock album.

It was popular to bag Powderfinger back in the day because they were so popular but if anyone can name a better Aussie rock band or album since then I'll change my name to Gotye or Vance Joy.

Slug Guts.

Haha gladly!
My ratings in brackets
  1. "Waiting for the Sun" – (3/5)
  2. "My Happiness" – (5/5)
  3. "The Metre" – (2/5)
  4. "Like a Dog" – (2/5)
  5. "Odyssey #5" – (2/5)
  6. "Up & Down & Back Again" – (3.5/5)
  7. "My Kind of Scene" – (4/5)
  8. "These Days" – (4/5)
  9. "We Should Be Together Now" – (3/5)
  10. "Thrilloilogy" –(4/5)
  11. "Whatever Makes You Happy" – (2/5) (32.5/55)=59%

1."Be Above It" (3/5)
2."Endors Toi" (3/5)
3."Apocalypse Dreams" (5/5)
4."Mind Mischief" (4.5/5)
5."Music to Walk Home By" (3.5/5)
6."Why Won't They Talk to Me?" (4/5)
7."Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" (5/5)
8."Keep on Lying" (3/5)
9."Elephant" (5/5)
10."She Just Won't Believe Me" (2/5)
11."Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control" (3/5)
12."Sun's Coming Up" (3/5)
(44/60=73%)

My calculations has Odyssey Number Five coming out ahead.

That's the great thing about music though, it's subjective so you can never be right or wrong.

I like Cog but they're not good enough to make me change my name.

My calculations has Odyssey Number Five coming out ahead.

That's the great thing about music though, it's subjective so you can never be right or wrong.

I like Cog but they're not good enough to make me change my name.
They weren't around long enough to really overtake Powderfinger overall, but TNN>Odyssey.

The Drones - Havilah
The Drones - I See Seaweed
Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Rush To Relax
Gareth Liddiard - Strange Tourist
Laura - Radio Swan Is Down

Are all far and away better albums.
I would add anything by the Drones especially Gala Mill.

- Radiohead and Outkast are the two greatest musical acts of all time.
- Arcade Fire have like... 7 good songs and a whole bunch of meh.
- Sgt Pepper's isn't that good.
- Hip Hop and Electronic >>> Rock
- If you don't consider Kanye a musical genius, you're not worth listening to...

- Radiohead and Outkast are the two greatest musical acts of all time.
- Arcade Fire have like... 7 good songs and a whole bunch of meh.
- Sgt Pepper's isn't that good.
- Hip Hop and Electronic >>> Rock
- If you don't consider Kanye a musical genius, you're not worth listening to...
I'm sure Rachmaninoff would be greatly jealous of The talent of Outkast and the genius if Kanye.

Here are a few to get you going.....

The Clash are overrated, and PiL are better than The Sex Pistols.

Arcade Fire are massively overrated, and the fact they are as big as they are now says more about the barren state of guitar rock than anything else.

U2 are and always have been s**t.

Aphex Twin is just noodling for the most part.

Jay Z's Magna Carta album was actually good.

Pink Floyd's Animals album is utter crap.

Alex Lloyd's first album was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back