Unpopular Opinions (Wrestling Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

7. Jobbers should return. They performed a vital role - getting people over.

I'd much rather watch an hour of squash matches with promos in between than much of what I see on TV now. It meant when you did get to see top guys wrestle each other, it felt special. Big shows were really big shows. Now a PPV is virtually indistinguishable from a TV show except I'm expected to fork out $50 to watch it. I watched TNA the other day and thought why would I even bother considering watching it when I already saw the guys they were pushing to wrestle each other, wrestle in a goddamn cage match. The cage match (or any other gimmick) really should be reserved for the blow off, not for the build up. You bring in the cage match, after the face has been beaten up by the heels allies to make it a fair fight or because the heel keeps getting himself counted out or whatever.

Monday night wars killed jobbers (and not in the good way)

I like a good squash match as much as the next guy but with wwe having good tv matches regularly it doesnt concern me too much.

Id like to see them do something like mvps shtick were be faced random guys who he claimed were champions in various parts of the world.

I'm lead to believe they only had two creative writers in 1999 with Russo and Ferrara.

Yeah, but the writers aren't the only ones dictating what happens in the product. You're affording them far too much credit and decision-making power.

In WWE, you've got Vince, Triple H, Stephanie (now, not then) and a ton of road agents (who have been in place since for umpteen years) hat help put together angles and matches. Writers are there along with everyone else to present ideas and help structure things into a logical flow for television.

TNA shouldn't go back to the six sided ring! As much as a lot of people (including myself) like it, they shouldn't go back if they want to to look like a traditional wrestling company!

Chris Jericho is one of the most poorly/under utilised wrestlers in the WWE/F in the last 20 years.

I think that's more his choice than the promotions.

Yeah, in one local territory. It's not possible now, and hasn't been for a long time.

That's only because everything is overproduced and oversaturated. Bookers in territories (and believe it or not, the WWWF was a regional promotion like any other at one point) didn't script every promo, or detail every second of television. Seemed to work ok for them too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's only because everything is overproduced and oversaturated. Bookers in territories (and believe it or not, the WWWF was a regional promotion like any other at one point) didn't script every promo, or detail every second of television. Seemed to work ok for them too.

Yeah, but WWE has had road agents and other people generally assisting with booking forever. Scripting promos is an entirely different thing.

I don't think the current process works especially poorly now either. If you've got a mainly TV based product, it's only logical to script and plan out parts of it, to create order and a logical flow. There's no guarantee that some guys these days could talk without a script or some direction anyway.

Yeah, but WWE has had road agents and other people generally assisting with booking forever. Scripting promos is an entirely different thing.

I don't think the current process works especially poorly now either. If you've got a mainly TV based product, it's only logical to script and plan out parts of it, to create order and a logical flow. There's no guarantee that some guys these days could talk without a script or some direction anyway.

Agreed. But that's why you'd groom them in smaller territories until they were ready. Or if they couldn't talk, get a manager who could. Of course managers aren't permitted anymore and only hot chicks can be "valets".

Agreed. But that's why you'd groom them in smaller territories until they were ready. Or if they couldn't talk, get a manager who could. Of course managers aren't permitted anymore and only hot chicks can be "valets".

Beulah McGillicutty with Tommy Dreamer in ECW a good example of it.

Incidentally, both are married and have children.

7. Jobbers should return. They performed a vital role - getting people over.

I listened to the first episode of Chris Jericho's podcast (Talk Is Jericho) and he had Stone Cold on as a guest. It was interesting to hear SCSA's views on jobbers. He more-or-less mentioned (I'm kind of paraphrasing here) that they're some of the most important guys in the company from a wrestler's point of view. He described them as the "teachers" backstage for the younger guys. The jobbers were the guys who knew how to work an 8 - 10 minute match and keep the crowd happy, they were the guys that taught how to sell moves and tell a story throughout a match, despite what they look like to an audience. It's worth listening to if you don't mind the cheesy advertisements.

I listened to the first episode of Chris Jericho's podcast (Talk Is Jericho) and he had Stone Cold on as a guest. It was interesting to hear SCSA's views on jobbers. He more-or-less mentioned (I'm kind of paraphrasing here) that they're some of the most important guys in the company from a wrestler's point of view. He described them as the "teachers" backstage for the younger guys. The jobbers were the guys who knew how to work an 8 - 10 minute match and keep the crowd happy, they were the guys that taught how to sell moves and tell a story throughout a match, despite what they look like to an audience. It's worth listening to if you don't mind the cheesy advertisements.

Most of the guys that are/were jobbers can seriously wrestle and make other talent look convincing. They simply lack in other areas what it takes to be a real star, but as far as in-ring ability goes and knowing how to work a match, they're usually some of the best guys in the company. Names like Terry Taylor, Johnny Rodz, Tom Pritchard and Bob Holly immediately come to mind when you think of "teacher"-type jobbers.

Most of the guys that are/were jobbers can seriously wrestle and make other talent look convincing. They simply lack in other areas what it takes to be a real star, but as far as in-ring ability goes and knowing how to work a match, they're usually some of the best guys in the company. Names like Terry Taylor, Johnny Rodz, Tom Pritchard and Bob Holly immediately come to mind when you think of "teacher"-type jobbers.

Never top the Mulkey brothers though. Or Burt Stiles come to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back