Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Fernando Verdasco has to be the most frustrating player to watch on the ATP World Tour.
Never seen the likes of Gulbis or Monfils play? ;)

I do see where you're coming from, but to be honest I think it stems from the fact that we know what he's capable of, and we know that he can do it over a reasonably sustained period of time - but we tend to forget that he's almost 31. When I watch him I find myself getting frustrated too because I remember what he's capable of, but he plays an incredibly taxing game style and, fit or not, it would be insanely hard to maintain it at his age, given the amount of tennis he's played.

Never seen the likes of Gulbis or Monfils play? ;)

I do see where you're coming from, but to be honest I think it stems from the fact that we know what he's capable of, and we know that he can do it over a reasonably sustained period of time - but we tend to forget that he's almost 31. When I watch him I find myself getting frustrated too because I remember what he's capable of, but he plays an incredibly taxing game style and, fit or not, it would be insanely hard to maintain it at his age, given the amount of tennis he's played.

Seen Gulbis and Monfils and they're also as frustrating as the Aussies.

Channel 7's coverage isn't that bad and has improved dramatically from about 5 years ago.
Women's doubles is more entertaining than men's doubles.
Wimbledon and Roland Garros, especially need to get with the times and have night matches.
Trying to hit the net cord should be an accepted practice and not something to be apologised over.
Naahh, that would mean I couldn't stay up and watch it.

If I had to choose a player to watch in the first week of a slam it would be Almagro. BTW I'm not an Almagro fan.

Underrated comment, agree with this. Generally has to fight through some early outside court encounters and also peaks around R3/4 with some exciting tennis. I'm not a big fan either, but completely agree.

Almagro's serve is under rated. Its a thing of beauty. Barely any leg drive but so much pace. I how I envy thou.

Last edited:
(1) Roland Garros is a disgrace for not having lights and night matches.

(2) Rafael Nadal is a hypocrite.

(3) Taller players play better tennis.

(4) Sharapova is not cutie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian Open is by far the most entertaining grand slam with the us open the least

Nah Wimbledon easily the best IMO. Quick courts = short rallies, more S&V. Plus the prestige of the whole tournament. Grass, strawberries and cream, pims - its the beez neez.

Probably a massive unpopular opinion, but The Australian Open feels more akin to a master event to me. It has a complete lack of uniqueness and prestige. Its quite an old tournament now yet unlike the likes of Wimby, French Open, Monte Carlo, Queens, Rome it has a novelty event type feel. The florescent colour schemes, mass advertising, unremarkable arenas - apart from the scorching heat there is nothing that unique or original about it. Even the US Open has the stupidly massive Arthur Ashe representing American excessiveness, and then the Grandstand Court which is tightly packed and festive.

I've hated the colour scheme from the day it was changed from green. Pink ballboys, piercing electric blue courts - its disgusting. The hats with the flaps and The Fanatics singing out heinous chants - its embarrassing.

I know there is only so much you can do with hardcourts - but I think the AO could have been done a lot better. Doing something with the surrounds, schemes that makes it recognisable as being quintessentially Australian. I dunno - add some gumtrees for shade, change the colours, at least make the colouring uniform (like the green at the French), make it feel more festive with court side gazebos and bars. When I think quintessential Australian sporting venues I think of the members and ladies stands at the SCG or the grass hill and scoreboard at the Adelaide Oval - I dunno something along those lines. Even Kooyong has a better feel about it.

Favourite and least favourite GSs generally changes depending on where you are (which is evident on those crazed MTF boards).

Generally Australians most like Wimbledon and the Aus Open (because we are most familiar with them), and the US typically rates the Aus Open least due to a sense of competition between the two for least prestigious slam. Non-casual tennis fans also tend to rate Roland Garros very highly, up there with Wimbledon.
In recent decades the Aus Open has generated enormous goodwill, it has certainly caught up to the USO and arguably surpassed it in the eyes of many tennis fans (if not for good).

Imo, they all have their pluses and minuses, or more accurately their differential quirks. Most common criticisms of Aus Open is the lack of prestigious history, the different days for men's semi finals, the trying weather conditions, the more diminutive stature of Australia contributing to a sense of less importance or legitimacy, the lack of prestigious lead up tournaments/placement in the calender, and lastly the timezone in relation to most developed and tennis-mad countries. But many fans and players will alternatively see most of the above as positives.

There is more consensus on the most prestigious grand slam than the most popular.

1) Disagree
2) In what sense?
3) How tall? In what way do they play better tennis? Maybe more effective?
4) Agree

This is unpopular tennis opinions thread, so I listed stuff I usually hear and I disagree with it. So I meant that

1) Such huge tournament as Roland Garros can't be bothered by installing flood lights, it’s awesome the way it is

2) Nadal is not a hypocrite, he’s a great player of our times

3) Tall players do not play better tennis cause it’s all about skills, not height

4) Sharapova is damn pretty :)

Bernard Tomic's an Andy Murray and Gilles Simon like player.
Just another pusher with no attacking game.
If he attacked more, he'd reach the top 20 and stay there.

Grigor Dimitrov's already on his way to a better career than Tomic.

Ryan Harrison's the most frustrating 25 and under male player.

Caroline Wozniacki's reached her peak.

How Mikhail Youzhny got to top 10 I will never understand.
His gameplan isn't as risky as some others.

Bernard Tomic's an Andy Murray and Gilles Simon like player.
Just another pusher with no attacking game.
If he attacked more, he'd reach the top 20 and stay there.

Grigor Dimitrov's already on his way to a better career than Tomic.

Ryan Harrison's the most frustrating 25 and under male player.

Caroline Wozniacki's reached her peak.

How Mikhail Youzhny got to top 10 I will never understand.
His gameplan isn't as risky as some others.

Frustrates me to hell when people bag professionals for playing a 'pushing' or defensive style of game. Players like Murray, Simon and Wozniacki are where they are because they have refined their style of play to match their strengths and natural tendencies. Murray's style of play is excellent and matched with his strengths and physical abilities is why he's a grand slam champ. Simon has been consistent for many a year, despite his slight frame and apparent lack of strengths. Hewitt won grand slams playing a counter attacking/defensive style of play.

Pushers win at club level cos they are better than everyone else. Its simple. Sure they don't have the huge serves or forehands, but pushing takes a hell of a lot of skill and patience to keep getting the ball back. When I lose to a pusher on the weekend I still shake his hand and acknowledge he was better than me because the scoreboard says so, not cos you might have a bigger booming serve, that might only go in 15% of the time...

Tomic has a very crafty style of play. When he's on song, like at the recent Hopman Cups and last year's Wimbledon, I find it very enjoyable to watch and he can take it up to the best in the world. What lets him down isn't the fact that he "pushes" - its all between the ears. Its not natural for him to try and hit big and attack. If he did he would lose even more.

I don't know how unpopular it is but I'll get flamed for any implications of this statement.

I really don't care for women getting the same prizemoney as men for much less court time. For some reason it makes me compare complaints about how regular employed work pay is inferior compared to how much time in the office is spent. Just smells like something that's not consistent.

Could care less for sponsor crap. I watch the sport, not the court decorations. (with the TV on mute with how many women sound like they're giving birth on court)

Actually, that too. It's really quite revolting how much noise is screeched, screamed, grunted, moaned and groaned out with every shot.

Federer is not GOAT - he hit his best tennis while versing Bagdahtis/Hewitt/Safin/Roddick in GS Finals. Rafa/Nole/Andy>Federer

I think Rafa has an extremely good case against Federer, Djokovic less so but maybe one day we could be talking about it. Don't even bother with Murray

Agree with the statement about even prize money for women/men, if women play best of 5 sets they deserve even prize money but not while the men are sometimes spending an extra hour+ per match on court

Publicly slay any b*tch tennis player who screeches when they hit the ball.

John McEnroe gave his 5 step manifesto to 'fix tennis' (because apparently it needs fixing). Reasonably certain it was done just as a laugh more than anything else, but this particular step did make me chuckle:

5. NO HIGH FIVES

“High-fiving doubles players when they miss returns — that should be against the rules. I’m so sick and tired of everyone high-fiving no matter what happens. It should only be when something good happens. But that’s just my opinion.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back