"Unsociable" Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate, I led the charge. I'm not a sheep. I had a bunch of precious Swans fans trying to throw me out of Etihad (Colonial) Stadium back in 2001 because I wouldn't quit bagging their players, bagging their AFL franchise football club

sticker375x360.png

As i said before I don't mind the Hawks at all but this thread got me thinking, at WC it's seems like Simpson's going a different track, I recon he's instilling in the players that whatever happens just get up and get the ball moving, noticed when the umps go against us with a dodgy decision(yeah yeah I know alot will go on about how they recon it all goes our way) our players aren't remonstrating, their just trying to set up again as quick as they can.
Given Simos from the school of Clarkson just seems there polar opposites in that regard.

I like the way we go about it, I liked the way the Aussie cricket team went about under Waugh and I will like it when any other team is like that too. If we squibbed contests and then went around puffing our chests out, like we did in the early 2000s, then that would be different. We are hard at the ball, hard at the opposition. It is a sporting contest, do what you have to within the rules and the spirit of the game. Footy is an aggressive and competitive sport, play it that way.
The media is just bored and looking for an angle.

As i said before I don't mind the Hawks at all but this thread got me thinking, at WC it's seems like Simpson's going a different track, I recon he's instilling in the players that whatever happens just get up and get the ball moving, noticed when the umps go against us with a dodgy decision(yeah yeah I know alot will go on about how they recon it all goes our way) our players aren't remonstrating, their just trying to set up again as quick as they can.
Given Simos from the school of Clarkson just seems there polar opposites in that regard.

Simpson's clearly very astute. You know more about West Coast than I so I wont argue with you but maybe he's just working with the cattle he has?

I believe they have a younger side than hawthorn (lot harder to aggressive football with kids) and their more seasoned players (Le Cras, Priddis, Schofield, Rosa, Kennedy, Butler) don't appear from the outside to have that level of 'angry prick' required to play 'unsociable' footy...

I think it's funny that the people in the media couldn't come up with anything new so they went back to 2008 and resurrected unsociable football, back then it was more about the potential suspensions from carry over points that a lot our our players were carrying into finals, completely different landscape to now.

Hawks don't do anything different on field than any other team really but we have the whole going for 3 in a row thing so of course the media says its because we are meaner than everyone else

Reminds me of Lions 2003 /2004. In-your-face from the get-go and just so offended if an opponent even tried to retaliate. Motivation when you've actually played the best you can.

It's mostly just piss and wind from the media.

Players bump, sledge and have cracks at each other in every single game played over the season, yet when Hawthorn do it it's "unsociable".

I mean, two players chased the ball over the boundary on the weekend, a Hawthorn player gives a little hip and shoulder to his opponent as they enter he field of play again and out came the "there's the unsociable Hawks again" rubbish.

All that said, I personally love that we have a number of players with a bit of campaigner in them. Good sides always do.

If you can get away with punches and elbows to the gut every week and get away with it, why not....

but its completely dependent on who does it.

Go Catters

Rubbish - Voss was one of the greatest trash talkers every to play - he is as revered as any player. Carey and Ablett also physically intimated the opposition - these 2 regarded as two of the greatest of all time.

If you think Mitchell has lost anything for mocking your players then you really are in la la land.
I don't believe Carey and Ablett played anything but tough and fair. Never mentioned anything about Mitchell:confused:. And I admire and respect a player like Robert Harvey over Voss any day of the week. This article is what i'm getting at:
http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/08/07/robert-harveys-career-an-antidote-to-the-ills-of-world-sport/

Tough and Fair footy not punches to the kidneys and elbows to the sternum behind play. May as well rename some teams and players Liberatore.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't believe Carey and Ablett played anything but tough and fair. Never mentioned anything about Mitchell:confused:. And I admire and respect a player like Robert Harvey over Voss any day of the week. This article is what i'm getting at:
http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/08/07/robert-harveys-career-an-antidote-to-the-ills-of-world-sport/

Tough and Fair footy not punches to the kidneys and elbows to the sternum behind play. May as well rename some teams and players Liberatore.

Lol essendon fan crying cause their team got roughed up by hawthorn. Short memories.

Lol essendon fan crying cause their team got roughed up by hawthorn. Short memories.
Rubbish troll. My argument is based on a broader general scale, not one game. And my opinion doesn't stop at my team. Unlike some one eyed supporters around here JACK

You may want to have a look at Ablett and Careys tribunal record.

Go back through old footage and you’ll see the Hawks have been hard for a very very long time, so nothing new here just the media struggling for sh!t to hang on clubs, will quiten down now that tirds deservedly back in the spot light for all the wrong reasons.

We are playing Hawthorn twice 2nd half year I really can not wait until they ragdoll our boys and can not wait to see their reaction.

I admire and respect a player like Robert Harvey over Voss any day of the week. Tough and Fair footy not punches to the kidneys and elbows to the sternum behind play.
People have mentioned the "Unsociable" Kangaroos during the 90's and the "Unsociable" Lions with Vossy, Scott, Scott, Leppa, Michael, Brown, Lynch, Pike, etc. In between those two dynasties, there was the short-lived Essendon dynasty from 1999-2001 when the "Unsociable" Bombers headed the ladder for 3 successive seasons.

Every time I turned on my TV, I saw tough hombres such as Solomon, Johnson, Johnson, Hardwick, Wallis, Wellman, Barnard, Young and Moorcroft roughing up the opposition and sledging them. Fletcher, Lloyd, Misiti, Long and Bewick weren't enforcer types, but they were no shrinking violets either.

Back in those days, I used to laugh at how much the Bombers hated it when their opponents kicked a goal. Some poor bastard would kick his first or second goal in league footy - he'd be feeling pretty happy with himself; he'd give a little fist pump and turn to his team-mates for some love, only to be set upon by three snarling Essendon defenders who would swear at him, wrestle him, shove him around, give him a few jumper punches and totally psyche him out of the game.

They did that s**t all the time.

The Bombers were one of the most aggressive teams in the AFL from 1999 to 2001. They went from being marshmallows in 1998 to one of the toughest and most intimidating teams in the league.

I bet you weren't complaining.

Last edited:
Clearly not as unsociable as your players actions only got them 1 week suspensions not the 3 and 2 for potential injury ones that Hodge and Lewis got!
Yes I'm still reeling from the one weeker for Bud. That was proving more , just how set up and crooked the AFL seems to be when it is their little project hammering players. He should have got 3 weeks for that. He ran past the ball and forgot there was a ball to hit that Richmond bloke.

Bud, doesn't need to do that he should tackle. But I've always said football is a clash sport, collision should be allowed , it used to be , I still see players deliver heavy duty shepherds . There is too much inconsistant situations where these things happen, the guy from the suns I think that gave the hip and shoulder and knocked his opponant down , that was a fair bump. He got suspended . Why not fine players in some situations. The fact is there are too many bureaucratic donkeys writing rules for the AFL too complicated too, and, many , many just not needed. RULES, AND AFL EMPLOYEES.

GET THE MICRAPHONES OFF THE BLOODY UMPIRES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly when we played Hawthorn i could not have given a toss about how "unsociable" they were. Its completely a wank term that largely means nothing in such a highly scrutinised environment as today's game. They would have been given a ton more suspensions if this was something they did every week. I was far more concerned by their skillful players.

The Hawks need to be careful though because i feel like "disagreeable" Freo and "unpleasant" Sydney are on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back