Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mertesacker has been lambasted for his performances this season and rightly so but I'm amazed at how Gibbs escapes it. Carragher and Neville ripped into Per but didn't even mention Gibbs' woeful lack of effort in putting pressure on the opposition winger vs Stoke and basically any team - I'm starting to question his commitment as even the most talent less of players can dig in...he literally stands off about 2 metres and doesn't even bother to close down.

What's worse is he hasn't really improved that much from two years ago, granted he's had his injuries but I still don't see improvement - he's 25 now FFS.

Gibbs plays injured every game by the look of it then. Mate I'm not talking just vs Stoke, this lack of closing down has been a trade mark of his for years. He's bang average and should be shipped off for a better LB.

He can't defend, is consistently out of position defensively, his defensive actions are non existent and as an attacking threat he's mediocre despite getting in to plenty of good positions in the final third.

Bellerin-Debuchy-Per-Gibbs as a back four?

No real alternatives given how thin the defensive squad was to begin with. Or maybe Hayden?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back