Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how I interpreted it too, but who knows.

I said at time that being knocked out in the manner we were should have a positive influence on the side next season. We were in good form heading in but shot ourselves in the foot. We were complacent and ill-prepared and overall the players should see it as a missed opportunity and be burning for it.

This as opposed to being knocked out by Bayern or Barcelona and having to accept we just aren't on that level.

Let's be honest here too we are making up numbers in the CL. We don't have a squad good enough to win it and if we made the quarters (should have based on our draw), I don't think many teams would have feared facing us.

Besides the big three, I reckon Atletico and Juve would do us over too.

We just don't have the quality to mix it with the big boys. Very far away from winning the CL.

Let's be honest here too we are making up numbers in the CL. We don't have a squad good enough to win it and if we made the quarters (should have based on our draw), I don't think many teams would have feared facing us.

Besides the big three, I reckon Atletico and Juve would do us over too.

We just don't have the quality to mix it with the big boys. Very far away from winning the CL.

Yeah this is the harsh reality I was disappointed to lose to Monaco ( who I believe we are better than ) but i never believed for a second that we could win the competition.

Yeah this is the harsh reality I was disappointed to lose to Monaco ( who I believe we are better than ) but i never believed for a second that we could win the competition.
I don't think any of us did.

Reality is, there's only about half a dozen clubs in Europe with a legitimate chance of winning the UCL these days.

Wenger will be here for two more years, he's quite vocal that he honours his commitments. And if we purchase correctly in the summer, next year could be a big one (geez I sound like a Liverpool fan haha)

Can see Klopp at City. Interesting times ahead there.

Wenger will be here for two more years, he's quite vocal that he honours his commitments. And if we purchase correctly in the summer, next year could be a big one (geez I sound like a Liverpool fan haha)

Can see Klopp at City. Interesting times ahead there.
Hi Jod

arsene-wenger-arsenal-whoscored_3290940.jpg

The stand out stat is interceptions. Courtesy of the Coq Block.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possession and pass accuracy is interesting.

Obviously Arteta's absence is the reason but shows how little he impacts on the game.

I don't think it has anything to do with Arteta or any player actually. It's to do with the game plan. We sit back more now and defend as a unit (evidenced by our possession dropping). We **** around less with the ball in midfield. When we win it, we break with pace and purpose.

The old system may have seen Wilshere and Arteta share 6-10 short passes with the defenders before we even went into the final third. Good for passing accuracy stats no doubt. But the way we play now has a bit more directness - not that we don't still play short passes, and not that the old way was terrible. We have players capable of beautiful football. Ozil might hit only 3 of 5 long passes but the 3 he hits are that good that it doesn't matter if he misses the other two.

Just how I see it anyway. More a game plan type of thing now.

I don't think it has anything to do with Arteta or any player actually. It's to do with the game plan. We sit back more now and defend as a unit (evidenced by our possession dropping). We **** around less with the ball in midfield. When we win it, we break with pace and purpose.

The old system may have seen Wilshere and Arteta share 6-10 short passes with the defenders before we even went into the final third. Good for passing accuracy stats no doubt. But the way we play now has a bit more directness - not that we don't still play short passes, and not that the old way was terrible. We have players capable of beautiful football. Ozil might hit only 3 of 5 long passes but the 3 he hits are that good that it doesn't matter if he misses the other two.

Just how I see it anyway. More a game plan type of thing now.

Agreed. Although having the likes of Coquelin and Bellerin in the team means players can gamble more as they have the pace to recover. Also Monreal makes quite a few interceptions and if I had to take a guess he manages a few more than Gibbs does.

I'm a massive fan of both, out of the two, Rozza has the most to offer us as it stands. Arteta, whilst still useful, won't see that many minutes if we sign another CM this summer.

We better get rid of Flamini and Diaby this summer.

I'm a massive fan of both, out of the two, Rozza has the most to offer us as it stands. Arteta, whilst still useful, won't see that many minutes if we sign another CM this summer.

We better get rid of Flamini and Diaby this summer.
Flamini is due to retire, isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back