Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weakest spot in the starting XI solved and a mentor for Szcezney, very happy.

Agreed that now the notable next step is a DM to help out Coquelin, which is where one injury could really hurt our season. Schneiderlin looks to be United bound, Vidal not happening, not sure who is next on the list (if anyone). Ideally I think a non-world class signing would be best so as not to stunt Coquelin's development, maybe along the lines of a James McCarthy type.

A striker would be great, still hoping Madrid decide they want a new toy and let Benzema go, but I think we can survive without one.

Ox isn't a left sided player though, he's another right midfielder. Welbeck is the closest we have to a left wing, which may cause or be caused by Wenger playing everyone at left midfield at some point in their Arsenal career

Yes true, but he can play on either the left or right side (like Sanchez). Whereas Walcott can really only play on the right if used on a flank.

Ox and Walcott are probably our only natural wingers, with the others being wedged out there because they can't squeeze in to their preferred position (ie, Ramsey, Wilshere, Welbeck etc).

Weakest spot in the starting XI solved and a mentor for Szcezney, very happy.

Agreed that now the notable next step is a DM to help out Coquelin, which is where one injury could really hurt our season. Schneiderlin looks to be United bound, Vidal not happening, not sure who is next on the list (if anyone). Ideally I think a non-world class signing would be best so as not to stunt Coquelin's development, maybe along the lines of a James McCarthy type.

A striker would be great, still hoping Madrid decide they want a new toy and let Benzema go, but I think we can survive without one.

Vidal really isn't a DM though, so like the Khedira rumours it would've been another CM/box to box type to battle it out with Cazorla, Ramsey, Wilshere for one spot.

True, he's certainly capable of playing that position though being a bit of a jack of all trades in midfield. Also remember him playing in central defence for Chile against Australia in the WC. If we signed him (or Khedira) I doubt another DM would have been coming in. Whether he has the discipline to play as a DM is another story, is a bit of a hot-head at times.

Expecting the William Carvalho rumors to fire up again any day now.

True, he's certainly capable of playing that position though being a bit of a jack of all trades in midfield. Also remember him playing in central defence for Chile against Australia in the WC. If we signed him (or Khedira) I doubt another DM would have been coming in. Whether he has the discipline to play as a DM is another story, is a bit of a hot-head at times.

Expecting the William Carvalho rumors to fire up again any day now.

It already has....

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/30/arsen...after-ditching-arturo-vidal-transfer-5272195/

My point is, as my son will endlessly annoyingly say to me, "83 stat keepers are OP as s**t". He gets in trouble for swearing but half of the guys you said are good keepers. They aren't great and they certainly aren't top five in the world. I think you're severely downgrading Cech. He may have been reserve but that's only because Courtois is so very good and at such a young age which is the only reason we'll be blessed to have him. Keepers can hit their peak at 30 plus, the strain on them is not like any other player within their team. I hope you grow to be pleasantly surprised by Cech, I already know he'll likely go down as the best we've ever had.
That would be wonderful if he indeed turns out to be the best we've ever had and yes, goalkeepers, like ruckmen in Aussie Rules, do get better with age and peak later but I really do have doubts as to whether Cech falls into that category. He just seems to me that after sustaining so many injuries in his career, a depressed fracture of his skull amongst them, his prowess as a 'keeper has diminished markedly. It's not injuries = going down hill necessarily, my assessment is based on what I see.

I wish him all the best and now that he's an Arsenal player, I hope I'm forced to eat my hat.

That would be wonderful if he indeed turns out to be the best we've ever had and yes, goalkeepers, like ruckmen in Aussie Rules, do get better with age and peak later but I really do have doubts as to whether Cech falls into that category. He just seems to me that after sustaining so many injuries in his career, a depressed fracture of his skull amongst them, his prowess as a 'keeper has diminished markedly. It's not injuries = going down hill necessarily, my assessment is based on what I see.

I wish him all the best and now that he's an Arsenal player, I hope I'm forced to eat my hat.
The reason most of us seem to disagree with you is regarding the bolded. There has been no notable sign of his abilities as a keeper diminishing, just that he has been usurped by a younger and better keeper. When he has played for Chelsea he has performed admirably, and has one of the highest shots to save percentages in those games.

And regarding his injuries, aside from the obvious head injury he has barely had any. Between 2009 and 2014 he played a minimum 34 out of 38 league games for Chelsea as well as the majority of European ties. He is one of the most durable keepers going around, and the head injury was back in 2006-07 he has gotten back to his best since then, and I for one have no reason to believe he won't be able to do it for us.

The reason most of us seem to disagree with you is regarding the bolded. There has been no notable sign of his abilities as a keeper diminishing, just that he has been usurped by a younger and better keeper. When he has played for Chelsea he has performed admirably, and has one of the highest shots to save percentages in those games.

And regarding his injuries, aside from the obvious head injury he has barely had any. Between 2009 and 2014 he played a minimum 34 out of 38 league games for Chelsea as well as the majority of European ties. He is one of the most durable keepers going around, and the head injury was back in 2006-07 he has gotten back to his best since then, and I for one have no reason to believe he won't be able to do it for us.
I hope you are right in that he can be a success at our club. I will not be hoping that he fails but as I said, I have reservations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed its good to have 2 sides to the discussion. I think why most people snap at Northa is because he has a bit of a history of Szcezny-bashing and Ospina-loving so comes across a tad biased when it comes to goalkeeping discussions.

Better to respond with reason than insults though, keep that stuff for the main board and liverpool fans :thumbsu:

Agreed its good to have 2 sides to the discussion. I think why most people snap at Northa is because he has a bit of a history of Szcezny-bashing and Ospina-loving so comes across a tad biased when it comes to goalkeeping discussions.

Better to respond with reason than insults though, keep that stuff for the main board and liverpool fans :thumbsu:
When Ospina first came to our club, I voiced reservations about him as well and I have been pleasantly surprised at how he has performed. From memory, it took 'till the last day of the EPL season for him to make a mistake that directly led to a goal for the opposition.

It may sound like I'm an Ospina lover but I compare him to Szczesny and Szczesny is an incompetent 'keeper. I have absolutely no trust in Szczesny where as with Ospina, I have come to feel comfortable with him in goal.

When Ospina starts, I can relax and watch the game but if it's Szczesny, it's heart in mouth for me fearing that he's going to f**k up at any moment and those moments come around far to often: he does some extraordinarily stupid things and I flick onto these pages and I read people saying, "he's only young, he'll improve" and I think "yeah, he may improve with time but our first team is not the place for a goalkeeper to practice getting better. We are a top line EPL side!" and that's why I am guilty of giving him both barrels. He has not improve one iota since he came into the first team.

My patience with him ended a long time ago and when I see him carrying on like some mega media movie star away from football and offering opinions on other sides and players, I get even more riled up because he behaves like he's some sort of "star" footballer and in reality, he is technically week and mentally week and it's embarrassing.

Tbh i see this as the end of Woj's career at Arsenal. Realistically Cech will be first choice for the next 4 years and Woj surely won't be happy being cup and random game here and there keeper. It's all well and good to say he will learn a lot but he certainly won't play a lot.

The Benayoun loan, and the last second Demba Ba cockblock from Mou, but no other successful transfers

If course, forgot about Yossi. Ba would've been handy.

Gallas had a decent stint at Arsenal. For a time there he and Djourou formed a solid CB pairing. Didn't last long though.

I liked Djourou, bit clumsy but a decent defender and always had a big smile on his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back