Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well that was all a bit s**t.

The good - Any kind of result against Bayern (win/draw) could be enough to be second in the group as goal difference will be in our favour (supposing we don't lose 5,6,7-0 to them)

The bad - We need to get a result against Bayern and win the other two games.

Well that was all a bit s**t.

The good - Any kind of result against Bayern (win/draw) could be enough to be second in the group as goal difference will be in our favour (supposing we don't lose 5,6,7-0 to them)

The bad - We need to get a result against Bayern and win the other two games.

We are ****ed Champions league comes down to head to head not GD so Olympiakos have won 3-2 away so we will likely need to beat them by 2 goals in Athens to take the tie breaker...

Still awaiting the monthly "we've learnt our lesson" type comments from the likes of Mertesacker etc. It's taking longer than usual.

Even if we do make Europa league, it really is a winnable trophy that we could aim for. But then again Thursday night football brings its own challenges.

Still awaiting the monthly "we've learnt our lesson" type comments from the likes of Mertesacker etc. It's taking longer than usual.

Even if we do make Europa league, it really is a winnable trophy that we could aim for. But then again Thursday night football brings its own challenges.

Id rather Europa League Football than nothing as its not like we are going to win the Premier League anyways so I'm not that interested on exiting Europe all together to focus on finishing 4th in the league, the only annoying thing is the amount of Sunday night games that brings.

The reality is that Arsenal now plays in the division of these "second tier" trophies in terms of our likelihood of winning. League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League etc is within our capability.

There's a bit of a sense of arrogance/entitlement to dismiss these trophies as 'beneath' us.

The preeminent, first tier trophies like the League and Champions League are far beyond us. Particularly with the lack of ambition demonstrated yet again with this summer's transfer window.

I'd rather go for the Europa league trophy than say 'let's focus on consolidating 4th place in the league'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is that Arsenal now plays in the division of these "second tier" trophies in terms of our likelihood of winning. League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League etc is within our capability.

There's a bit of a sense of arrogance/entitlement to dismiss these trophies as 'beneath' us.

The preeminent, first tier trophies like the League and Champions League are far beyond us. Particularly with the lack of ambition demonstrated yet again with this summer's transfer window.

I'd rather go for the Europa league trophy than say 'let's focus on consolidating 4th place in the league'.

Agree completely, If we were going to win the league we would have shown some Balls and signed a good striker, maybe even a good CB and more importantly a CDM but of course we didn't.

May as well have something to show for this season if we can win the europa league.

Winning the Europa and taking the UCL qualification spot off another team finishing 4th (particularly if it was Spurs or Chelsea) would be a nice silver lining.

The ability of our club to "sell the dream" to potential recruits is dwindling as each season passes. We have a fantastic stadium with all the bells and whistles, however find ourselves behind a minimum of 3 other clubs each and every season - and that's only in our league.

The main drawing card for recruiting Ozil's, Sanchez's, whoever, is obviously UCL football. Despite all of Wenger's flaws - and their have been a few over the past 3/4 years in particular - he deserves credit for keeping us in the top 4 constantly, which is the minimum benchmark for the club yet one that is critical in ensuring the club stays relevant in the football world (even though we continuously fail to progress in the competition). Without the UCL, we essentially drop to being a present-day Liverpool.

If we're comparing having a good cup run in the Europa versus another good season in the league (3rd-4th), then the league should be the priority every time. We aren't going to continue to draw top players, earn as much revenue, or do any other thing required of a top club, without UCL football. While winning the Europa League represents both a European title and qualification into the UCL, my negativity towards it is due to my pessimistic view that the club lacks the ability to successfully balance the travel and Thursday night football associated with Europa League football, with sustained good performances in the league that will allow us to come top 4 and hopefully a little higher. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how the team has geared most of its fans to think.

I get the "but it's the same every year, we make the tournament and fail early on and the cycle repeats" talk about the UCL. But being able to remain a top 4 club is the bare minimum for a club like Arsenal, and despite our frustrations it's great the club has managed to do it. And it's vital we continue to do it.

In a few short years we'll have a new manager, with fresh ideas and hopefully a more practical and modern-day approach to player transfers and building a squad. The priority until then is ensuring we maintain/build a squad that isn't completely bereft of talent and class players, and one that sees us continuously in UCL contention. We all hate where the club's at right now, but missing out on the top 4 would be far, far worse.

Last edited:
Agree completely, If we were going to win the league we would have shown some Balls and signed a good striker, maybe even a good CB and more importantly a CDM but of course we didn't.

May as well have something to show for this season if we can win the europa league.
Maybe the list deficiencies will be addressed in January...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back