Opinion Updated Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Hawks

Debutant
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
(I know we have lots of best 22 threads throughout the year but I can't get enough! If you're a hater, just move on to one of the Essendon/COLA/FIXture bashing threads to vent)

With more than 2/3 of the H&A Season now done (how's my maths?), I think that we have a much clearer idea of where the team stands and who is likely to be picked in our Week 1 finals side if we can manage to avoid further injuries (lying in a bathtub full of wood right now ... ahem). Having said that, there will obviously be a few very tight Player A vs Player B judgment calls.

Here is my best attempt (obviously on the understanding that Clarko rotates players all over the field throughout a game, so starting positions are somewhat irrelevant):

FB: Litherland Lake Stratton
HB: Birchall Spangher Gibson

C: Smith Mitchell Hill
Foll: McEvoy Hodge Lewis

HF: Breust Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Rioli Roughead Ceglar

Int: Sewell, Puopolo, Suckling
Sub: Shiels

Extremely unluckly to miss: Hale, Schoenmakers, Langford, Duryea, Simpkin, Hartung
Unavailable: Anderson, Whitecross

That team is very flexible:
- The backline is tall but Litherland, Stratton and Birchall can play on smaller opponents
- You can also swing Burgoyne/Hodge to HBF, Gibson/Stratton to CHB and Spangher (or Schoenmakers, if he makes it ahead of Spangher) to CHF for extra height in the forward line and a smaller backline
- Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne, Puopolo, Breust, Roughead, Rioli(?) and Shiels (when subbed) can run through the centre
- Suckling can come on and play HBF, Wing, or HFF
- Shiels (as sub) can play in the centre or wing/HBF/HFF

The above team compares with our 2013 GF team as follows (with the closest approximate replacement player appearing immediately below the player out):
Out: Bailey, Hale, Franklin, Guerra, Simpkin
In: McEvoy, Ceglar, Spangher, Litherland, Suckling

In addition, I think that these are the Player A vs Player B decisions that will need to be made (and they are all VERY close calls, except maybe for Shiels vs Simpkin and Suckling vs Hartung):
- Ceglar vs Hale
- Spangher vs Schoenmakers (and MAYBE throw Stratton in that discussion as well)
- Sewell vs Langford
- Litherland vs Duryea
- Shiels vs Simpkin
- Suckling vs Hartung

What are your thoughts?

Wouldn't have Sewell ahead of Shiels myself. For mine:

Gibson Lake Stratton
Birchall Spangher Burgoyne
Hill Mitchell Lewis
Bruest Gunston Smith
Puopolo Roughie Rioli
McEvoy Hodge Shiels
Int: Suckling Litherland Ceglar
Sub: Simpkin or Hartung
Emg: Schoey Sewell Langers

Simpkin and Hartung are the best sub options with Simpkin slightly ahead at this stage due to his experience.

(I know we have lots of best 22 threads throughout the year but I can't get enough! If you're a hater, just move on to one of the Essendon/COLA/FIXture bashing threads to vent)

With more than 2/3 of the H&A Season now done (how's my maths?), I think that we have a much clearer idea of where the team stands and who is likely to be picked in our Week 1 finals side if we can manage to avoid further injuries (lying in a bathtub full of wood right now ... ahem). Having said that, there will obviously be a few very tight Player A vs Player B judgment calls.

Here is my best attempt (obviously on the understanding that Clarko rotates players all over the field throughout a game, so starting positions are somewhat irrelevant):

Extremely unluckly to miss: Hale, Schoenmakers, Langford, Duryea, Simpkin, Hartung

- The backline is tall but Litherland, Stratton and Birchall can play on smaller opponents
- You can also swing Burgoyne/Hodge to HBF, Gibson/Stratton to CHB and Spangher (or Schoenmakers, if he makes it ahead of Spangher) to CHF for extra height in the forward line and a smaller backline
- Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne, Puopolo, Breust, Roughead, Rioli(?) and Shiels (when subbed) can run through the centre

The above team compares with our 2013 GF team as follows (with the closest approximate replacement player appearing immediately below the player out):

In addition, I think that these are the Player A vs Player B decisions that will need to be made (and they are all VERY close calls, except maybe for Shiels vs Simpkin and Suckling vs Hartung):
- Ceglar vs Hale
- Spangher vs Schoenmakers (and MAYBE throw Stratton in that discussion as well)
- Sewell vs Langford
- Litherland vs Duryea
- Shiels vs Simpkin
- Suckling vs Hartung

What are your thoughts?
Sounds about right. Shiels as sub feels weird though but not sure who would be sub. Schoey likely to get a game before Spanger. Suckers haters will want Hartung instead and as a sub.

Sheils is a starting midfielder, never an option for sub.

Mine would be -
B: Litherland - Lake - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Spangher
C: Hill - Mitchell - Smith
HF: Burgoyne - Gunston - Breust
F: Poppy - Rough - Rioli
Fol: McEvoy - Lewis - Hodge
Int: Suckling - Sewell - Ceglar
Sub: Simpkin

- Ceglar vs Hale
- Sewell vs Langford
- Litherland vs Duryea
- Shiels vs Simpkin
- Suckling vs Hartung

What are your thoughts?

Still not sold on Stratton this year. yes I know he has had a few injury concerns, but the games he has played, has not been anywhere near what we know he can do.

No way Sheils as a sub. If anyone, maybe Suckling. Then bring him on when the game is won, not have him prancing around and turning the thing over when the heat is on.

Apart from that, like the team. Geez big David is in trouble isnt he?

Good effort at picking the side. I'd have Hartung the sub and Sewell to make way.

Also Stratton is not a lock yet. If he still hasn't had a kick come finals he's gone.

Stratton may not be as attcking as he was last year, taking marks etc....but he still has the ability to play on talls and smalls better than anyone currently out of our side. He stays for mine.

The discussion will always be based around opposition and weather conditions.
If we play Freo or Port on a dry day, I would suggest that hartung or hallahan may get a gig based on their pace, especially around the stoppages. Sewell may be unlucky.
Like wise if we came up against a Geelong or sydney on a wet day. Sewell would start hands down.

Some interesting choices will need to be made in regards to the back 6 with Duryea, litherland, spager, stratton, shoenmakers and suckling fighting for 4 spots
The ruck choices between, hale, mcevoy and ceglar keeping in mind rough can go in
and the mids/ half forwards: Sewell, Puopolo, simpkin, shiels, hartung and hallahan

Interesting! Glad i wont be at the selection table in 7 weeks time.

In a perfect world best 22

B: Litherland - Lake - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Hodge
HF: Spang/Shoey - Gunston - Breust
F: Poppy - Rough - Rioli
Fol: McEvoy - Lewis - Shiels
Int: Burgoyne - Sewell/Suckling - Ceglar
Sub: Simpkin

Spang vs Shoey - tough call. -brings versatility both forward or back. I can't get Spangs game against Sydney out of my head in the qualifying final, played as true lead up CHF attacked the pill and brought the ball to the ground...selfless. I think he has a better understanding of the game ie running patterns than Shoey does.
Backline - in most sides I think is too top heavy and void of run, If Birchall is tagged who's going to run the pill out.
Simpkin - sub. Still by far and away our best sub. Has the most impact.
Sewell vs Suckling - one brings more run and creativity by foot, the other is a contested pig..... both are opposites in strengths and weaknesses. I'm torn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Gibson - Spangher - Litherland
HB: Birchall - Schoenmakers - Stratton
CE: Hill - Lewis - Smith
HF: Gunston - McEvoy - Breust
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Puopolo
RU: Ceglar - Hodge - Mitchell
IN: Shiels - Langford - Burgoyne
SU: Suckling

Shoey in for Sphager. Sheils is not the sub. Poppy or Suckling would be the sub in your team. For balance I wonder if Sewell has a place. Not sure he can play sub so wondering if a Hartung-type running player should be sub and Sewell left out.

In previous years we have not had Hodge, Mitch,Lewis and Sheils all playing midfield (Hodge plays mostly defence out of necessity). With our defence sorted and Hodge in the middle we look a little top heavy (and slow) with all 5 in the middle.

In previous years we have not had Hodge, Mitch,Lewis and Sheils all playing midfield (Hodge plays mostly defence out of necessity). With our defence sorted and Hodge in the middle we look a little top heavy (and slow) with all 5 in the middle.

How often have we gone Mitch Lewis and Hodge as a midfield rotation ? I'm tipping not very often, we usually blend the 2 with someone with speed.

How often have we gone Mitch Lewis and Hodge as a midfield rotation ? I'm tipping not very often, we usually blend the 2 with someone with speed.

Not really the same, but at the beginning of the last quarter in 2013 Prelim, our starting midfield was Hodge, Mitch, Sewell.

The way Litherland played on Betts seems to me he is our best option as a small lockdown defender. I think Stratts has been quite good as a 3rd tall which is where he may need to be played. Schoey will get a game before Spang because Spangher has played great as the HELP tall defender, while Schoey is much better in a 1 on 1 contest.

If Lake is getting toweled up in the finals id rather Schoey as plan B or even plan A with Lithers/Birch/Hodge/Lake/Gibson/Stratts all having amazing Football intelligence that they will play off there man in support. I dont think Spangher has the 1 on 1 ability that Schoey has.

My best 22 for this year would be.

FB: Gibson - Lake - Stratton
HBF: Birchall - Shoenmakers - Litherland
C: Smith - Mitchell - Hill
HFF: Burgoyne - Gunston - Shiels
FF: Bruest - Roughead - Rioli

R: McEvoy
RR: Hodge
R: Lewis

INT: Ceglar - Sewell - Whitecross
SUB: Puopulo

EMG: Suckling - Hale - Duryea

Suckling is very unlucky. He would be the replacement if Whitecross doesn't come back this year. Also possibly ahead of Puopulo, however Puopulo would be a better sub.

Shoenmakers is ahead of Spangher. I know its unpopular opinion on this board, but he just a better player. Shoenmakers also provides more versatility, playing forward and back. He can also play on the Gorilla forwards, if Lake is having stinker (something that is happening more this year).

Shiels starts on the ground he is a best 18 player. Has a good defensive side to his game, but has added the attacking element this year.

Anderson would be in the team if fit.

Some interesting discussion here.

Nothing's certain but it would be a massive effort for Hale to work his way back into form and push out Ceglar. The scary thing is he is improving week by week. Massive call, but Ceglar is my first choice ruckman ATM. Hale has very little hope.

Schoenmakers vs Spangher i don't think has much to it. Spangher is pretty much playing Gibson's role. Doing a pretty good job at it, but he doesn't keep his spot for mine. Schoenmakers should be permanent forward once Lake is back. Spangher stays until Lake is back but is omitted from there.

If we are playing the hypothetical of no injuries it's really tough to do the best 22. From the GF last year we have the two ruckman change, Schoenmakers in for Franklin, Suckling for Guerra and Litherland for Simpkin.

The only one I really struggled with is Litherland. Has to play given his form but I don't think he can be a sub. Then who do you sub?

FB: Burgoyne - Lake - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Gibson - Suckling
HF: Bruest - Gunston - Rioli
FF: Schoenmakers - Roughead - Puopolo
RR: Ceglar - Hodge - Lewis
INT: McEvoy - Sewell - Shiels - Litherland (s)
EMG: Duryea - Hale - Spangher

If everyone is fit and we don't get anymore injuries

B: Stratton, Lake, Litherland

HB: Birchall, Spangher, Gibson

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Rioli

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, Hodge, Lewis

INT: Shiels, Ceglar, Sewell, Suckling

EMG: Schoenmakers, Langford, Simpkin

Sorry to burst people's bubble about Spangher. But for mine we won't win the flag with him in the team. Seems to want to fall over far too often for my liking. Great depth player. Can't see him playing last Saturday in September for mine

Interesting that people see is as Spangher vs Schoey. To me it looks more like Lake vs Spangher. When he returns, Brian would want to show some decent form leading into the finals.

Sorry to burst people's bubble about Spangher. But for mine we won't win the flag with him in the team. Seems to want to fall over far too often for my liking. Great depth player. Can't see him playing last Saturday in September for mine

Seriously?? Easily ahead of Shoenmakers and Stratton at this point in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back