Opinion Updated Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Simpkin is our best sub, but not necessarily the better player than the 23rd man missing out.

The sub role is a weapon he has a proven track record with it and has had the most impact on games when used in this role.

I'd probably agree with you on this. It seems he's been typecast, so to speak. I'm a fan of Simpkin, and would like to see him get more of a chance at full matches. Unfortunately, the competition appears to be a notch above him in terms of full match coverage.

Assuming the only two out for injury are Whitecross and Jed, I see the key queries as:

• Picking two rucks out of McEvoy, Ceglar and Hale - Assuming Cegs keeps his form up for the remainder of the year, I think he is a given an it is out of McEvoy and Hale. If Big Boy develops his form and his combination with Cegs over the next few weeks then he is in prime spot. i love what Hale did in the last two years, but he is just not clunking them this year and so is in third spot for me.
  • Is Sewell picked? I find it hard to say, but I don't have him in my top 22. I think the team is too one-paced inside with him, Hodge, Mitch, Lewis and Burgers rotating through the middle. I also think his form (with the occasional exceptional game) has tapered over the last two years (after being the primary beast in 2012).
  • Spangher or Shoey - If Gibbo and Lake are picked (and both should be IF get into form) then for me only one of these two get picked. I believe that in Defence Spangher is better as the loose or 3rd man up forward, and Shoey is better at marking a man and (hopefully) getting a hand from his fellow defenders. Shoey by a whisker for me.
  • Litherland, Duryea or Stratts - For me, two of these make the final 22. We need to pick players that offer some rebound but can definitely hold a small forward. Stratts and Litherland can take both small and tall, but for me Duryea is probably the best at a lock-down on a small forward. This may depend on the opposition.
  • Sub - I think this is one where the player chosen should be the best sub, not necessarily the 22nd best player. Simpkin is probably the best here.
So, my team would be:

B: Litherland Lake Gibson
HB: Stratts Shoey Birchall
C: Hill Sammy Omith
R: Ceglar Hodge Shiels
HF: Burgers Gunston Breust
F: Puopolo Roughy Rioli
I: McEvoy Lewis Suckling
S: Simpkin or Langford

If this team did meet Sh#tney in the GF then the key matchups could be:

Lake v Tippett
Gibbo v Buddy (or Judas)
Shoey v Reid
Stratts v Goodes

Sammy v Parker
Hodge v JK3
Smith v Hanneberry
Shiels v Jack

Roughy v Richards
Resting Ruck v Grundy
Gunston v Rampe
Rioli v Smith
Breust v McVeigh
Puop v Malceski

this is how our list is imo

Certainties if fit: (15) Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Roughead, Birchall, Gibson, Rioli, McEvoy, Shiels, Breust, Puopolo, Smith, Gunston, Lake

Possibles in our 22: (13) Hill, Stratton, Suckling, Duryea, Sewell, Hale, Litherland, Langford, Simpkin, Schoenmakers, Cheney, Ceglar, Spangher

Developing/Doubtful: (11) Whitecross(inj), Anderson(inj), Hartung, Woodward, Lowden, O'Brien, Hallahan, Grimley, Kelly, Brand, Sicily

atm, i would have for our finals team

B: Stratton, Lake, Duryea
HB: Hodge, Gibson, Birchall
C: Smith, Mitchell, Hill
HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Rioli
F: Puopolo, Roughead, Breust
R: McEvoy, Lewis, Shiels

INT: Suckling, Sewell, Hale/Ceglar
SUB: Litherland

emer: Langford, Spangher, Simpkin, Cheney, Schoenmakers, Hartung

that is if Gunston is fit and not out for the season.....

this is how our list is imo

Certainties if fit: (15) Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Roughead, Birchall, Gibson, Rioli, McEvoy, Shiels, Breust, Puopolo, Smith, Gunston, Lake

Possibles in our 22: (13) Hill, Stratton, Suckling
I reckon Hill always gets the nod if fit. Based on selection history, so do Stratton and Suckers.

I still think Simpkin is our best sub, but not necessarily the better player than the 23rd man missing out.

The sub role is a weapon he has a proven track record with it and has had the most impact on games when used in this role.

I really liked Hartung as a sub. After a bit you could see the players were confident in him getting the ball and using it so looked for him a little more.

When we're in the last and struggling to break open the game, he's the guy I want coming on to find space and provide an option to kick to when everyone else is flat footed, drag someone the length of the ground to blow them up, or force a second player to go after him, creating an opportunity for our free man.

Oh and Davo-27, Hill and Stratts are best 22.

Davo_22, Hill is a lock in our team, one of the most important players on our list come final times.

My best 22 with who I believe to be certain starters if fit in bold.

Back: Stratton, Lake, Gibson
H Back: Litherland, Spangher, Birchall
Centre: Hill, Hodge, Smith
H Forward: Bruest, Roughead, Burgoyne
Forward: Rioli, Gunston, Puopolo
Rucks: McEvoy, Mitchell, Lewis

I/C: Sheils, Suckling, Sewell, Celar/Hale

I prefer Ceglar over Hale and have 3 spots in the team in dispute come finals.

Thats leaves, Duryea, Langford, Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Woodward and Hartung as potential ins.

Last edited:
Davo_22, Hill is a lock in our team, one of the most important players on our list come final times.

My best 22 with who I believe to be certain starters in fit in bold.

I prefer Ceglar over Hale and have 3 spots in the team in dispute come finals.

Thats leaves, Duryea, Langford, Schoenmakers, Simpkin, Woodward and Hartung as potential ins.

I like it....the only change I would make is Langford/Simpkin in for Sewell. Not because they are better, just because of the versatility in the roles that they can play...ie; in negating jobs etc.

Litherland plays on the token small.....rather than a tall where a weakness in his game can be exploited.

Hill is most definite a lock in our side.....oh so important.

I like it....the only change I would make is Langford/Simpkin in for Sewell. Not because they are better, just because of the versatility in the roles that they can play...ie; in negating jobs etc.

Litherland plays on the token small.....rather than a tall where a weakness in his game can be exploited.

Hill is most definite a lock in our side.....oh so important.

In regards to Sewells spot in the team I would say he gets his chance in the next 3-4 weeks to earn his spot, at the start of the year I personally couldn't see him being in the best 22 for the length of the season but his mid season form was promising, if he can recapture that level of form then he could be valuable in the heat of the finals.

Do agree with the other two though, I like the idea of having one in the team to play a role much like Simpkin did on Malceski two weeks back.

I really liked Hartung as a sub. After a bit you could see the players were confident in him getting the ball and using it so looked for him a little more.

When we're in the last and struggling to break open the game, he's the guy I want coming on to find space and provide an option to kick to when everyone else is flat footed, drag someone the length of the ground to blow them up, or force a second player to go after him, creating an opportunity for our free man.

I can understand the logic behind Hartung, I just have a preference for the player with an all round game, Simpkin still runs hard is an absolute ball accumulator and gives us variety in the roles he could possibly play ie; defensively (on a player that has been getting the better of us.) which then frees up another player for a different role.

I don't think Hartung is developed enough to take into a grand final, he has limitations in his contested game, also defensively tackling etc. Physically he ain't ready. I don't feel comfortable having four players on the field in the last quarter of a grand final that have limitations in contested football and defensively. Hill Suckling Smith (not so much any more) and Hartung.

2014 Suckling Hill Hartung and a hint of Smith.
2013 I thought we got the balance right. Hill and Smith (once again not so much improved remarkably from 2012 season)
2012, Young Suckling Smith

Last edited:
In regards to Sewells spot in the team I would say he gets his chance in the next 3-4 weeks to earn his spot, at the start of the year I personally couldn't see him being in the best 22 for the length of the season but his mid season form was promising, if he can recapture that level of form then he could be valuable in the heat of the finals.

Do agree with the other two though, I like the idea of having one in the team to play a role much like Simpkin did on Malceski two weeks back.

I have really enjoyed the added responsibility Lewis has been granted this year at hunting the pill, Sewell missing has played a small part with this. Langford and or Simkin has played the roles that Lewis would usually do, the versatility in roles that Sewell ain't suited for.....I think the make up of the midfield as a whole is much more versatile.
In saying that Sewell's form was pretty damn good for a couple of weeks before his injury.........

I have really enjoyed the added responsibility Lewis has been granted this year at hunting the pill, Sewell missing has played a small part with this. Langford and or Simkin has played the roles that Lewis would usually do, the versatility in roles that Sewell ain't suited for.....I think the make up of the midfield as a whole is much more versatile.
In saying that Sewell's form was pretty damn good for a couple of weeks before his injury.........

It will work itself out over the next month, just hoping no more injuries to key personnel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Litherland, Lake, Stratton

HB: Birchall, Spangher, Gibson

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Lewis

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, Hodge, Sewell

INT: Suckling, Ceglar, Shiels, Rioli (Sub)

EMG: Schoenmakers, Langford, Simpkin

I like Sewell in for the rolling maul teams (Sydney/Fremantle), and Langford for the others. Sewell has the strength to tire them out.

I don't expect he'll be dropped but Suckling will be a liability in the final series. I'm not certain but I don't think his record in finals is anything short of poor...

Clarko's team: -
B: Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Hodge
HF: Gunston, Shoe, Bruest
F: Hale, Roughead, Puopolo
R: McEvoy, Lewis, Sewell
INT: Rioli, Suckling, Shiels, Simpkin (sub)

My team
B: Lithers, Lake, Gibson
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Duryea
C: Shiels, Mitchell, Hill
HF: Smith, Shoe, Hodge
F: Gunston, Roughead, Puopolo
INT: Ceglar, Burger, Pup, Rioli (sub)

I like this, but without shoe.

Still need a full pre season to be in my 22 come finals.

Burgoyne, Lake, Gibson
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Hodge
HF: Gunston, Shoe, Bruest
F: Hale, Roughead, Puopolo
INT: Rioli, Suckling, Shiels, Simpkin (sub)

The amazing thing about this thread is no matter which 22 you look at it is strong. They all are, and the depth in the emergencies really shows how strong we are. Which ever 22 cross the line during the finals, I am sure we will get 110% from each and every one. When you add to this we have Whitey, Jed, and possibly Cyril to add, you can't be anything but happy to be a Hawk. We have a great show this year, and for a few years following.

Davo_22)

My best 22 with who I believe to be certain starters if fit in bold.

+Ceglar/Hale

If Rioli can't make it who do you put in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back