Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I was born in 1985 so I did not see very much of that Hawk side
You missed out then dave....they were a maniacal running team, full of aggression and as the years went on they just got more and more Lethal. They had fantastic forwards who killed sides with skill but also terrorised defenders physically. They intimidated, broke sides down and then destroyed them. Essendon under Sheedy matched them for a few years physically but the fact that the Hawks continued to dominate from late 70's through the 80's and into the 90's says so much about their culture. The ramble they give Dermie when they introduce him on the footy show goes something like "the five time day-five time night premiership player" and he was only one of them!

Chief Ten Beers

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
2008 V Geelong.

Geelong where a super team in that period. Hadnt lost a game in almost a season and we all remember the brutality they displayed in the 07 GF (well everyone remembers except Port fans). From memory they would've been undefeated in the H&A if it weren't for us.

Pies were stunning that night. Wellingham did a number on Abblett and many other players had their best game. It wasn't just a win either it was an 86 point demolition.

It was almost a prelude to the 2011season I guess.

Here's hoping for another one!

dirts

Team Captain
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Selwood V.......Leigh Matthews.....hmmm...try ducking that one Joel
Bartel V .........Crimmins or Russell Greene, or Platten
Stevie J..........ummm.....try that stuff on Gary Ayres
Hawkins..........Kel Moore or Langford....sheesh
Joel Corey.......Tuck
????????..........Peter Knights
Harry Taylor......Dermott......I better stop now!!

Yeah Dave, they'd smash geelong
Steve J could try that on Dippa as well - would be interesting. And virtually all of those Hawks had 'real world' jobs too

DaicosianMarvels

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Hawks have the wood on us yes but those players are not playing, they don't know what they will get with this group of players.

I am hoping they get a hungry young team who is giving everything for a spot in the finals. I doubt the Hawks will go all out and you only need to be off 10% in modern football and you will lose the game.

Hopefully we bring in some experience this week with Elliot, Toovey and Lumumba. Let's face it Young and MaCaffer are not huge losses that would impact a win or a loss. Swan is clearly not fit and it probably would have been a disadvantage to have him playing this week anyway.

I believe we will have a stronger team this week than last week which I don't think means much but all we need to do is make the game ugly and bring the pressure and heart of last week and things will take care of themselves.

Back