US Open 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Might as well kick start the thread, begins on 25th August.

Who are we predicting will go well?

Still an American hardcourt swing to go through to gather form. Djokovic would have to be the favourite but there's a lot to happen before late August. Nadal will have question marks but I imagine he will probably squash those in a heartbeat and be up there contending. Federer having a bit of an improved year compared to last year, we don't know how Murray is going to come out, Wawrinka had the semi result last year and won the other slam on hard this year. And the new crop of Dimitrov and Raonic knocking on the door.

I'm more curious to see who gets TA WC, hoepfully Groth wins tomorrow morning so he won't need it but do you go with the best results with someone like him (or Duckworth), do you go with suppose "star" power of Tomic (I don't know how else to put that) or do you go a younger guy like Kokkansis.

I'd give it to Tomic. The reason he has underachieved in his career so far is down to himself but the reason he has slipped out of the top 100 is injury. Give him a chance to rebuild the ranking over the last third of the season but make it clear if he still requires a wildcard come the Australian Open he can go through the WC playoffs with the rest of them.

I'll put $10 on Kyrgios!
Though I reckon Djokovic will win it.
Hope Tomic doesn't qualify and drift further into irrelevance (That is until he breaks the law again for attention).

Wait, I thought players outside of the top 100 needed to go through qualifiers to make the main draw?

TA have an agreement with the USTA that we get a WC for the US Open and they get one for AO. So trying to pick who should get that WC.

Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray and Williams, Sharapova, Halep, Bouchard :) I think these are the players, who can make it to the final

TA have an agreement with the USTA that we get a WC for the US Open and they get one for AO. So trying to pick who should get that WC.

How has Kokkanakis been going this year? They will give it to Tomic which is a joke...just as much as Ashleigh 'Wildcard' Barty getting yet another one to lose 1st round

How has Kokkanakis been going this year? They will give it to Tomic which is a joke...just as much as Ashleigh 'Wildcard' Barty getting yet another one to lose 1st round

Kokkansis hasn't played a whole lot and has had some average results and some good one, did just win his first futures tournament and results are slowly improving. Don't think he deserves the WC tbh.

Tomic is a different situation to Barty. If he keeps going in Bogota he will be back in the top 100 and obviously TA would sort of have to give the WC to him. Barty hasn't been near the top 100 yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kokkansis hasn't played a whole lot and has had some average results and some good one, did just win his first futures tournament and results are slowly improving. Don't think he deserves the WC tbh.

Tomic is a different situation to Barty. If he keeps going in Bogota he will be back in the top 100 and obviously TA would sort of have to give the WC to him. Barty hasn't been near the top 100 yet

Who else then? i don't want Tomic being gifted another thing. Make the bloke work for it for crying out loud. Barty is the biggest joke, dead set are there NO other girls we could give some experience to? Ash has used up about 15 wildcards already and done SFA with them!

Tomic will get the WC if he gets back in the top 100. I wouldn't consider it a gift if he misses the entry cutoff by a couple of weeks.

Who knows TA, might take that stance

Tomic will get the WC if he gets back in the top 100. I wouldn't consider it a gift if he misses the entry cutoff by a couple of weeks.

Who knows TA, might take that stance

I agree, I would rather give it to someone like Ben Mitchell who has had some really good results this year. I just would like Tomic being forced to qualify, and he should with the talent he has. Gifting him wildcards is counter productive, would make him work even less.

Barty is the biggest joke of all, flop and a half.

No, if Tomic gets back in the top 100, I have no problem with him getting the WC, just unlucky he missed the cutoff

Barty isn't a flop, she still has a long time left

No, if Tomic gets back in the top 100, I have no problem with him getting the WC, just unlucky he missed the cutoff

Barty isn't a flop, she still has a long time left

How is Tomic unlucky when he barely cares all season? Had a good Aussie summer and does SFA for 8 months. Reward someone that cares!

Barty is a flop she needs to produce rather than get wc's all the time

If Djokovic doesn't win, would be happy for Raonic or Dimitrov to grab their first slam.

USO has been fairly good to young first-time winners, with Sampras, Safin, Hewitt, Roddick & Del Potro in recent-ish times all winning their first slam there around the age of 20. Murray & Rafter in their mid 20s as well. Murray was the only one of them who failed to win the USO final (and a GS final in general) on their first try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back