Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

i know its not the US (same continent though) but does anyone have any experience with Mexico? been invited over for some friends spring break getaway - have absolutely no knowledge of the place. Theyre looking at a resort in Mazatlan... my main question is about safety - would we just be stuck in the resort & very close surrounds the whole time or is it acutally safe to get out and do some exploring without the need for guided tours etc? if its going to be the former then i will be giving it a miss. this probably sounds pretty ignorant lol i just dont know much at all about the country tbh

i know its not the US (same continent though) but does anyone have any experience with Mexico? been invited over for some friends spring break getaway - have absolutely no knowledge of the place. Theyre looking at a resort in Mazatlan... my main question is about safety - would we just be stuck in the resort & very close surrounds the whole time or is it acutally safe to get out and do some exploring without the need for guided tours etc? if its going to be the former then i will be giving it a miss. this probably sounds pretty ignorant lol i just dont know much at all about the country tbh
I've done Cancun & playa del carmen. Never felt unsafe and I travelled around a lot, even at night.

From what I hear stay away from Northern Mexico and you are alright.

For the record I loved Mexico

Has anyone done Texas before?

Would it be feasible to base my self in say Dallas and take day trips down to San Antonio (The Alamo), Houston and Fort Worth et el withour too much trouble?

looking at doing 2 weeks in Texas and a week in Las Vagas at the end of the year.

i did a day trip from dallas to fort worth and didnt think it was worth it, mind you this was in summer where every day was 40 so it was a bit of a ghost town with little action.

Anyone ever worked and lived in the US. Just wanting some info maybe some pointers of the best way to get sponsorship/visa. Looking to live in San Diego I'm a plumber and also worked for a huge hospitality company in Sydney. Thanks guys and girls

Anyone ever worked and lived in the US. Just wanting some info maybe some pointers of the best way to get sponsorship/visa. Looking to live in San Diego I'm a plumber and also worked for a huge hospitality company in Sydney. Thanks guys and girls
I have a brother in law and sister in law who both work in NY. However I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but trying to get a working over in the USA is extremely difficult.

You need to get sponsored by a company and then they company has to put a case forward as to why they are employing an international worker over the domestic applicants.

My sister in law is very high up in fashion and her work paid close to $10k in legal fees to put together a case towards the government that she was the only person who could do the job and there were no suitable applicants in the USA.

The other option is go back to uni, there is an Australia-USA agreement that any university/college leaver can get a 12 month working visa in either country.

Any recommendations on somewhere to stay in Santa Monica?

We have 3 nights in LA and want to stay in a different area this time.
Double tree by Hilton. 5 minute walk from the pier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any recommendations on somewhere to stay in Santa Monica?

We have 3 nights in LA and want to stay in a different area this time.

It's about an hours drive but some really nice places in Camarillo, Ventura that are on the beach.

Crowne Plaza or Marriott looked very nice. Regret not stopping in Camarillo now instead of going through to Santa Barbara.

6fxpb5.jpg

I am a long-term resident of the States and could give you some info on work visas - best to PM me.

Has anyone done Texas before?

Would it be feasible to base my self in say Dallas and take day trips down to San Antonio (The Alamo), Houston and Fort Worth et el withour too much trouble?

looking at doing 2 weeks in Texas and a week in Las Vagas at the end of the year.
I lived in Houston for many years and love Texas, but I would not spend 2 weeks there as a tourist. But if you want a taste of Texas then I would choose Houston as your base, not Dallas. From Houston you can visit Galveston and the Bolivar Penisular; Kemah (eastern suburb on the Bay) and the Boardwalk; Space Center; and take a day trip to San Antone and/or Austin.
If based in Houston stay in the Galleria area, in west Houston.

I lived in Houston for many years and love Texas, but I would not spend 2 weeks there as a tourist. But if you want a taste of Texas then I would choose Houston as your base, not Dallas. From Houston you can visit Galveston and the Bolivar Penisular; Kemah (eastern suburb on the Bay) and the Boardwalk; Space Center; and take a day trip to San Antone and/or Austin.
If based in Houston stay in the Galleria area, in west Houston.

Thanks but we have had a change of plans.

We are going to do New York, Boston, Miami, Las Vegas and back to Adelaide. Texas is good but didn't excite us like other places. But thanks for the feedback.

USC/UCLA at the Rose Bowl. Went straight there after arriving LAX on no sleep, was up for atleast 30 hours without sleep.
ortnco.jpg

Texas Longhorns play TCU
yoTRbEH.jpg

3145f60.jpg

Plantation where Django Unchained was filmed
RqEgrUT.jpg

Chicago skyline from the top of the Hancock building
1S3mLIY.jpg

Chicago Blackhawks
f9NWZ5c.jpg

Top of the Rock looking towards lower Manhatten
KGBflJn.jpg

Jets v Patriots
c6giycy.jpg

Lower Manhatten
BH5adBU.jpg

zozVI3C.jpg

View of SF from Alcatraz
NH6g5sO.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent photos.

Looking back at mine, I realised I left the camera in the hotel many days rather than picking it up.

Been to San Fransisco twice and twice didn't get a photo of the Golden Gate bridge or pier 37.

Got some good ones from Alcatraz but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back