Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, who's done the alcatraz tour?
What site did you book off, is day or night tour better?
On one site they only do a guided tour at night I've read.
Any tips etc.

Cheers

Any tips etc.

Cheers
Alcatrazcruises.com

I did a day tour. You get an audio track to listen to that guides you through and you can go at your own pace.

Any tips etc.

Cheers

Not sure why but you name gives me an impression you're a girl?

Anyway, make sure you ware comfortable shows. You have a 3 story walk when you get off the boat but you can get a bus to take you up.

Did the day tour - brilliant. Imagine the night one would be awesome as well.

Any tips etc.

Cheers
We did the night tour as it was recommended to us by a few people .
If anything it was a late afternoon tour but well worth it . Not sure if it really differs from the day tour at all
Great view of SF and the bay in general

I do know we had to book fairly well in advance for it
Comfortable shoes are a must , not only is the walk steep but its pretty rough also

We did the night tour as it was recommended to us by a few people .
If anything it was a late afternoon tour but well worth it . Not sure if it really differs from the day tour at all
Great view of SF and the bay in general

I do know we had to book fairly well in advance for it
Comfortable shoes are a must , not only is the walk steep but its pretty rough also
Yeah it says the night tour includes a guided tour, other special activities & onboard narration which the day tour doesnt have so I'm not too sure.

1 maybe 1 and 1/2 days on the strip tops. Done Vegas before.
You are probably just a bit too far in Vegas for a day trip to Flagstaff then down the canyon (not the Grand Canyon) to Sedona then up to Jerome and over to Prescott, all in Arizona (although it can be done in a day if you push on).

Prescott is a very pleasant old western town with town square, fetes on the weekend, shops (no strip malls), Whiskey Row with its old bars and saloons, and a brewery/restaurant. I lived in Prescott for a few years - currently there now - worth a visit if you want to get away from the big smoke.

You are probably just a bit too far in Vegas for a day trip to Flagstaff then down the canyon (not the Grand Canyon) to Sedona then up to Jerome and over to Prescott, all in Arizona (although it can be done in a day if you push on).

Prescott is a very pleasant old western town with town square, fetes on the weekend, shops (no strip malls), Whiskey Row with its old bars and saloons, and a brewery/restaurant. I lived in Prescott for a few years - currently there now - worth a visit if you want to get away from the big smoke.

We are contemplating driving to Phoenix for a NBA or Major League Baseball game. We just have to decide if we want to stay over night or not.

Recently back from 3 weeks mainly on East Coast.

Major surprises:
Its not cheap, particularly food, unless you want to survive on bad pizza
The food is pretty bad - its hard too escape sandwich based meals
The toilets water level is REALLY full
Charleston is my new lotto win retirement destination

I could be wrong but the Northeast is the most affluent part of the country.

Any tips etc.

Cheers

Done both the day and night tour - night tour is eerie. Make sure you get locked in one of the solitary confinement cells when it goes pitch black - you literally can't see a thing (not good if scared of confined spaces or darkness).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are contemplating driving to Phoenix for a NBA or Major League Baseball game. We just have to decide if we want to stay over night or not.
Vegas to Phoenix one-way, most direct route, is over 5 hours driving. You would need to stop over one night if you do it return. I would suggest an overnight in Sedona or Prescott, both approx 100 miles north of Phoenix.

Personally I would not drive Vegas to Phoenix as the scenery from Vegas to about 70 miles east of Flagstaff is unappealing (at least it is to me), and ditto south of Prescott to Phoenix when you start to get down out of the mountain area. Phoenix itself is not worth a visit unless you have a good reason (e.g. your sporting option).

Vegas to Phoenix one-way, most direct route, is over 5 hours driving. You would need to stop over one night if you do it return. I would suggest an overnight in Sedona or Prescott, both approx 100 miles north of Phoenix.

Personally I would not drive Vegas to Phoenix as the scenery from Vegas to about 70 miles east of Flagstaff is unappealing (at least it is to me), and ditto south of Prescott to Phoenix when you start to get down out of the mountain area. Phoenix itself is not worth a visit unless you have a good reason (e.g. your sporting option).

Not much to do in Phoenix and the drive is not a good one for what the end result is.

A week in DC is way too long I think. Also for Orlando/Vegas too. I would've gone for go 2 days in DC, 3-4 in Orlando, 3-4 in Vegas and thrown the freed up days onto New York.

Basically, we have 3 weeks on the East Coast as we are getting a car and driving up and down the coast. So we can add or subtract days from our itinerary. Meaning we will spend less time in Washington DC and add more time in New York. Accommodation isn't finalised.

Basically, we have 3 weeks on the East Coast as we are getting a car and driving up and down the coast. So we can add or subtract days from our itinerary. Meaning we will spend less time in Washington DC and add more time in New York. Accommodation isn't finalised.

3 weeks driving on the east coast :eek:. So much congested traffic (all the way down to Miami); so expensive. I prefer up-state NY.

Next time let me know your timetable and I can do you a real nice itinerary, starting say from Twin Cities (Min/St Paul) and down the Upper Mrs Sippi Valley - great scenery and nice little towns and cheap comfortable motels - then across Wisconsin to Lake Michigan and over to the Upper Michigan Peninsula. The Great Lakes are magical - cliffs, sandy beaches, islands (but not in winter).

But for me the South is best - Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenendoah National Forest, Natchez Trace, country roads and green rolling hills and forests and rivers and streams.

Hey, if John Denver were still alive I could write him a song...:cool:

Last edited:
3 weeks driving on the east coast :eek:. So much congested traffic (all the way down to Miami); so expensive. I prefer up-state NY.

Na, starting in NYC @ JFK and then going to Washington DC for a day or 2. Back to NYC for a 10 to 12 days and then going to Boston for about a week.

Then flying down to Orlando before heading on to Vegas.

Next time let me know your timetable and I can do you a real nice itinerary, starting say from Twin Cities (Min/St Paul) and down the Upper Mrs Sippi Valley - great scenery and nice little towns and cheap comfortable motels - then across Wisconsin to Lake Michigan and over to the Upper Michigan Peninsular. The Great Lakes are magical - cliffs, sandy beaches, islands (but not in winter).

But for me the South is best - Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenendoah National Forest, Natchez Trace, country roads and green rolling hills and forests and rivers and streams.

Hey, if John Denver were still alive I could write him a song...:cool:

Sounds great.

I'm planning a 4-5 week trip in March-April next year to America, Canada & possibly Mexico.

I was thinking something like;

LA
Dallas
(Possibly somewhere in Mexico)
New Orleans
New York
Boston
Vancouver
Vegas
Return to LA and fly home.

Flights are going for 1200 return at that time of year at the moment!

I'll probably do 3-4 days in most cities and a week in New York.

Any advice or tips would be brilliant, who has done Mexico and what cities/places would you recommend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back