Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

ok so this is probably a stupid question but i'm trying to fill out the visa waiver thing - i'm spending 2 weeks in the states then 2 weeks in canada and flying home via LAX - with the transit option what do i select?
i would think to tick no - but then i am passing though to canada 2 weeks later so idk, it also asks for point of contact details if i click yes & i'm not staying in any place for more than 2 nights so i'm a bit confused?

first time to north america & i'm travelling solo so just do not want to **** anything up and make things hard for myself. cheers in advance
I presume you are talking about the ESTA visa waiver which you fill out on-line. Your US address can be any US hotel you stay at (if you have pre-booked one) and I would think Canada would be transit - but I don't have to fill out ESTA due to my US status so best to check with your local travel agent on the transit data.

I presume you are talking about the ESTA visa waiver which you fill out on-line. Your US address can be any US hotel you stay at (if you have pre-booked one) and I would think Canada would be transit - but I don't have to fill out ESTA due to my US status so best to check with your local travel agent on the transit data.
Thanks mate - yeah ended up just asking a travel agent so all good

Baseball - how does that go? boring as batshit on tv, is it any better live? would be looking at going to padres v dodgers @ san diego. sadly no nfl lines up with my trip

also hockey pre season games? can go see oilers v canucks in edmonton last game before the season proper but dont want to waste my time either. would love to have caught an nhl game but heading home just before season starts

leave in a fortnight... getting keen

Baseball - how does that go? boring as batshit on tv, is it any better live? would be looking at going to padres v dodgers @ san diego. sadly no nfl lines up with my trip

I was in the states about 3 weeks ago and went to a game in Anaheim - Angels v Texas Rangers. I was sceptical as well but I loved it and so did my young kids. The game went a lot quicker than I thought, tickets were cheap and the beers were cold.

also hockey pre season games? can go see oilers v canucks in edmonton last game before the season proper but dont want to waste my time either. would love to have caught an nhl game but heading home just before season starts

Yep, agree with blueboy. Baseball is completely different live and worth going too.

Definitely see that Oilers v Canucks game! I'm an Oilers fan so would obviously jump at the chance. But Edmonton fans finally see a lot of upside this season and the crowd is going to be loud and eager. You'll also get to see McDavid who is supposed to be the next 'once in a generation' player.

I didn't see any pre-season NHL games when I was in the USA last year, but have seen a few online. The quality isn't that different compared to the regular season, from what I can tell, you just have more rookies playing who will be playing out of their skin to get a spot on the roster. With a side like the Oilers a good chunk of their better players are apart of the younger core, and should be playing, plus as CA mentioned above, you'll get see McDavid in person, which in itself should be a treat.

I've been to a few pre-season games and it's better than what you see in the offseason in most sports. As Kakkle said, you get young players putting everything in to get a spot. Even the established players put in decent ice time because you can't hit the start of the season rusty. Also, tickets are really expensive in regular season. You get good crowds that are still loud because it may be the only time they get to see their team live that year.

Question. Hockey tickets for the Rangers v Sharks are on sale now and reasonably expensive (STubHub) for a less popular game, am i better off waiting any buying them closer to the game (with the hope the prices might go down) or bite the bullet and buy them now?
Rangers at MSG is the hottest ticket in town. To answer the question, I'm not sure how much ticket prices are affected by team performance especially for the Rangers

Last edited:
I'm headed over to the states in January with the family and we're looking at accommodation in LA and not to sure where to book. Does anyone have any good recommendations for family friendly hotels around the West Hollywood area? I've been exploring TripAdvisor but would still like some more recommendations from other people.

I'm headed over to the states in January with the family and we're looking at accommodation in LA and not to sure where to book. Does anyone have any good recommendations for family friendly hotels around the West Hollywood area? I've been exploring TripAdvisor but would still like some more recommendations from other people.
Depending on your budget, Mondrian hotel on the sunset strip is absolutely fantastic.

I stayed here last time I was there. http://www.ramadaweho.com/
It was fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question. Hockey tickets for the Rangers v Sharks are on sale now and reasonably expensive (STubHub) for a less popular game, am i better off waiting any buying them closer to the game (with the hope the prices might go down) or bite the bullet and buy them now?

Up to you. I'm one that needs to book well in advance, but if you're happy to wing it, you might find a bargain on the night of. The game is on a Tuesday night, meaning a lot of people might just won't be able to make it down to MSG (work/family commitments) so you're more then likely to find some cheap tickets that a season holder is trying to get rid of.

Booked and payed to fly out on 28th of October for just under a month.

Fly into LA and spend 5/6 days there/Anaheim and San Diego

Doing Disneyland, Clippers/Mavs, Ducks game on the 1st and USC vs Cal Bears on the 31st..

Then Vegas for 3/4 nights before flying to Dallas or Houston and getting a car and winging it through Texas down to Florida. (Catching a Jags game down there)

Booked and payed to fly out on 28th of October for just under a month.

Fly into LA and spend 5/6 days there/Anaheim and San Diego

Doing Disneyland, Clippers/Mavs, Ducks game on the 1st and USC vs Cal Bears on the 31st..

Then Vegas for 3/4 nights before flying to Dallas or Houston and getting a car and winging it through Texas down to Florida. (Catching a Jags game down there)
If you are heading to Florida from Houston then you may enjoy the ride along the Gulf coast thru Apalachicola. Get off I-10 onto I-110 to Pensacola and then onto US 98. Apalachicola is a nice little town with great oyster bars in season - sit at the oyster house as they shuck them for you fresh out of the bags off the oyster boats at $5.00 a dozen and a $2.50 beer.

Been tossing and turning where to go, reckon a return trip to the US is probably going to win out! :p

Will do summer this time, New York winter nearly killed me. No NBA is a bummer though.

Currently not impressed with how bad the dollar is but I'm over being annoyed at it, not like it will change anything :p

What's peoples thoughts on travel cards? Last time I got a CBA travel card, did the trick but at the end of the trip it got used in Anchorage when I was nowhere near there.. I work in the insurance industry & speak to lots of people who have been victims of card fraud, biggest worry is loading it up with cash & losing most of it to a dodgy prick..

I had an idea that may work but it might not... If I got a card with no reload fees, would it be practical to keep limited money on there & load it when I plan on spending it? But I guess if it's via bpay or something I need to be a few days in advance at all times - not good for impulse buys/activities

Currently not impressed with how bad the dollar is but I'm over being annoyed at it, not like it will change anything :p

What's peoples thoughts on travel cards? Last time I got a CBA travel card, did the trick but at the end of the trip it got used in Anchorage when I was nowhere near there.. I work in the insurance industry & speak to lots of people who have been victims of card fraud, biggest worry is loading it up with cash & losing most of it to a dodgy prick..

I had an idea that may work but it might not... If I got a card with no reload fees, would it be practical to keep limited money on there & load it when I plan on spending it? But I guess if it's via bpay or something I need to be a few days in advance at all times - not good for impulse buys/activities

Same thing happened to the wife. Went to add some cash for a trip and realized $1200 was missing. The bank said it would take 22 days. I argued with them and it only took 5 working days before the bank had recovered the funds.

We just remove all the cash from the travel cards now after the trip.

Posted in NFL Forum but thought I'd try here too:

I'm off to the States in December and will be in San Francisco for a 49ers game.
Has anyone been to Levi's stadium?
Is it worth the extra money for a seat in the 400s section over standing room tickets? Anyone had standing room experiences?
And one last one, I'd presume tickets on the side would be much more worthwhile than tickets on the end zone?..

I'm off to the States in December and will be in San Francisco for a 49ers game.
Is it worth the extra money for a seat in the 400s section over standing room tickets? Anyone had standing room experiences?
And one last one, I'd presume tickets on the side would be much more worthwhile than tickets on the end zone?..

Get a seat. My understanding for standing room tickets in the USA is, you have to get there super early. Not only that, you have to stand there the whole time if you get a good spot. You may as well fork out extra money on a seat on the side, that way you can leave and come back. How much are tickets in the 400s section?

Last edited:

I can only talk about my experience at Candlestick, but I would definitely recommend the sideline view.

Seats behind the endzone are ok but it is hard to see things down the other endzone as it so far away.

IMO if you are going to an NFL game, you might as well get a seat to make the most of the experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back