Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering for my trip coming up -when we are in Vancouver (will be there late Jan) should i be looking at staying in Ski resorts or hotels and do day trips to the snow?
Whistler is only 2 hours up the road from Vancouver which you can do in a day trip.

You can ski at Grouse Mountain which is on the north side of the harbour in Vancouver. You can get a ferry from downtown Vancouver to the north side and then transfer to a bus which will take you up the mountain. Only takes about 30 minutes to get there from Vancouver.

If you are looking at skiing at Lake Louise, Banff or Jasper, you won't be able to do day trips from Vancouver as it takes about 6-7 hours to drive there one way.

Just depends on how much you want to pay in regards to staying at Ski Resorts or hotels? The Ski resorts are mega expensive in Whistler especially. We were lucky as my wife has cousins who live in Vancouver but they also have a cabin in Whistler.

Planning a trip for August / September next year for me and a mate, any advice / suggestions would be great especially for the NE area of USA.

My best mate lives in Vancouver so will stay with him for a week. Catching a train from Vancouver to Seattle with Vancouver mate and hire a car and drive around Northwestern USA for a week, he has done this before so he'll be able to pick where we go here.

Get to SF (either drive / fly / train) for a few days for some SF Giants baseball. Fly to Vegas and spend a few days there.

Then fly to NY and spend a week or so there.

After that the plan is to hire a car or small RV and visit Boston and a few other cities around the Northeastern area of America for a week or two. During this time, my mate and I are extremely keen to see a Minor League baseball game, has anyone been to a MiLB game at all?

During this time, my mate and I are extremely keen to see a Minor League baseball game, has anyone been to a MiLB game at all?

I have... its just like the Major league really only without the bells and whistles... $10 per ticket, sit pretty much anywhere, much smaller venues but still have the same basic facilities, no fancy scoreboard, community feel to the crowd, everyone on their best behaviour.... I went to one which was on an island in the middle of the river, this was in April and the wind from the water was horrendous though.

Hey guys.

I'm heading over to the US for the first round of the NBA playoffs early next year.

As the playoff seedings are yet to take shape, I'm a bit at their mercy, but would like to get some info on some of the possible destinations. Side note: having done the west coast several times (and NYC/eastern Canada), I've decided to focus on the South(west) - as there are clusters of good teams there, and it seems I'll be able to get around quite efficiently (via bus/train where possible).

First week I'm spending in San Antonio and Austin, that is definite. (Austin doesn't have a team but always get big wraps so thought I could sneak two days in).

Otherwise, the other places in order of likelihood are: Dallas, OKC, Salt Lake City. I might also end up spending time in LA and SF if the others fall through (but I know about them). Ideally I would've got to New Orleans, but they're slumping big time and will probably miss out altogether. Houston and Memphis could also be considered.

Mainly I'd be interested in: best/worst areas to stay, things to do/avoid in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, OKC and Salt Lake.

I'm struggling to find decent, affordable potential accommodation in Dallas, so wonder if it's worthwhile at all.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Any thoughts deltablues ?

Last edited:
There isn't much in San Antonio. The river walk is awesome and should be full when you're there.

The Alamo is pretty boring unless you're right into your American history. The botanic gardens are average and anything just outside of downtown is really sketchy.

I stayed at the embassy suites and it was a great place to stay. Lots of business people so no riff raff. Had a great bat downstairs which had a happy hour of free drinks every night.

I'm struggling to find decent, affordable potential accommodation in Dallas, so wonder if it's worthwhile at all.

i stayed at a hotel near where JFK got shot which as far as i remember was good value and good location.

Looking at attending the Utah Jazz Vs Lakers game on the 16th January. Just wondering whether its worth paying a little bit extra money to have seats in the first tier (1-22) or just going to the upper tier seats?

Looking at attending the Utah Jazz Vs Lakers game on the 16th January. Just wondering whether its worth paying a little bit extra money to have seats in the first tier (1-22) or just going to the upper tier seats?

IMO - go as close to the front as you can and I would buy the tickets as soon as you can.

If Kobe Bryant gets on a roll, the ticket prices for the Lakers games will continue to increase on his retirement tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys.

I'm heading over to the US for the first round of the NBA playoffs early next year.

As the playoff seedings are yet to take shape, I'm a bit at their mercy, but would like to get some info on some of the possible destinations. Side note: having done the west coast several times (and NYC/eastern Canada), I've decided to focus on the South(west) - as there are clusters of good teams there, and it seems I'll be able to get around quite efficiently (via bus/train where possible).

First week I'm spending in San Antonio and Austin, that is definite. (Austin doesn't have a team but always get big wraps so thought I could sneak two days in).

Otherwise, the other places in order of likelihood are: Dallas, OKC, Salt Lake City. I might also end up spending time in LA and SF if the others fall through (but I know about them). Ideally I would've got to New Orleans, but they're slumping big time and will probably miss out altogether. Houston and Memphis could also be considered.

Mainly I'd be interested in: best/worst areas to stay, things to do/avoid in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, OKC and Salt Lake.

Any thoughts deltablues ?
Go Midwest - Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Toronto and Detroit all currently in East playoff race.

Cities are close enough that you can rent a car and drive between them in a day, so potentially could see games every night in different stadiums!!

Chicago is an amazing sports city, and enough to see and do in Toronto, Detroit and Cleveland to keep you busy.

If going to Detroit, stay around Royal Oak and the Palace is way out of town, so best to have ur own rental car.

Coachella music festival (if ur into festivals) incredible

Hey mate - just wondering if you've got any tips about Coachella. I'm over there at the time and am thinking of going if I can do it semi-cheaply. Unfortunately I've made this decision when most of the accommodation is booked out! Do you think camping at one of the spots in Indio is worthwhile? Also looking at airbnbs in the Palm Springs area. Seems like these areas are pretty will serviced by shuttles during the event. Any advice would be welcome.

IMO - go as close to the front as you can and I would buy the tickets as soon as you can.

If Kobe Bryant gets on a roll, the ticket prices for the Lakers games will continue to increase on his retirement tour.

He's retiring for a reason. Kobe doesn't get on a roll too often. The Lakers are playing horrible ball. And if they want Ben Simmons they'll lose as many games as they can Inn the run home

He's retiring for a reason. Kobe doesn't get on a roll too often. The Lakers are playing horrible ball. And if they want Ben Simmons they'll lose as many games as they can Inn the run home

That wasn't my point. Laker ticket at the best of time are not cheap. Teams as bad as the Lakers are, ticket prices drop - even floor seats. However, since it's his last year, they won't drop the price of those tickets as people will pay to see him one more time.

Hey mate - just wondering if you've got any tips about Coachella. I'm over there at the time and am thinking of going if I can do it semi-cheaply. Unfortunately I've made this decision when most of the accommodation is booked out! Do you think camping at one of the spots in Indio is worthwhile? Also looking at airbnbs in the Palm Springs area. Seems like these areas are pretty will serviced by shuttles during the event. Any advice would be welcome.
Iv only ever camped on site. camping else where would be fine. But I defiantly recommend camping on site. Awesome fun mixing it with Americans, most love to party. I suppose its depends on what sort of coachella you want to experience. I love to go to music festivals and party, drink as much as I can and camp on site so I have somewhere to go when I don't have a band to see. I can't handle a days worth of music I need a camp break every now and than. If ur the same it might get a little annoying being in the shuttle more than twice a day. You would need to buy a car camping pass or a tent camping pass. Have a look on the coachella website they have a forum with threads on pretty much everything coachella related. Will it be just you or a group?

That wasn't my point. Laker ticket at the best of time are not cheap. Teams as bad as the Lakers are, ticket prices drop - even floor seats. However, since it's his last year, they won't drop the price of those tickets as people will pay to see him one more time.
I'm over there the time of his last game (or last home game can't remember) ticket prices are crazy. People will be lining up to see his last few games. Regardless of how we is playing, I agree with you

Laker prices for Koby Bryants last game against the Utah Jazz

100's seats (lower section) are going for close to $9000. Floor seats are more expensive.
200's (mid section seats 0 behind the basket). - $3000 to $5000
300's (nose bleeds upper deck) $1000

Laker prices for Koby Bryants last game against the Utah Jazz

100's seats (lower section) are going for close to $9000. Floor seats are more expensive.
200's (mid section seats 0 behind the basket). - $3000 to $5000
300's (nose bleeds upper deck) $1000
I would not be paying those kind of prices when there is no guarantee Kobe will be playing.

He has already missed a few games this year when he has not been able to back up from the previous game. This will become much worse the longer the season goes.

I would not be paying those kind of prices when there is no guarantee Kobe will be playing.

He has already missed a few games this year when he has not been able to back up from the previous game. This will become much worse the longer the season goes.

Agree. No way would I pay that. Plus, midway into the 3rd Quarter, the Lakers are likely to be down by 30.

Prices to watch sport in the USA is stupid. Going to be in Boston for the opening day for the Major League Baseball season and tickets prices raise by almost $100.

Iv only ever camped on site. camping else where would be fine. But I defiantly recommend camping on site. Awesome fun mixing it with Americans, most love to party. I suppose its depends on what sort of coachella you want to experience. I love to go to music festivals and party, drink as much as I can and camp on site so I have somewhere to go when I don't have a band to see. I can't handle a days worth of music I need a camp break every now and than. If ur the same it might get a little annoying being in the shuttle more than twice a day. You would need to buy a car camping pass or a tent camping pass. Have a look on the coachella website they have a forum with threads on pretty much everything coachella related. Will it be just you or a group?

Thanks. I discovered the on-site camping part after my original post. Camping there seems like the best option, even though I'd be looking at $1,000+ all up to get there (flying in and out). I've done Falls before, and you're right, it's good to have the option to chill out at your tent. I'd be on my own, and to be honest I'd rather have a good, comfortable nights sleep hence looking into off-site accommodation, but could definitely handle camping (which is looking like the most cost-effective, convenient option). Think I'm going to wait until the line-up announcement, and if it's too good to refuse I'll head along. Definitely want to see Kendrick Lamar, CHVRCHES, Vampire Weekend, AVICII, if they make it... Would it be essential to hire a car to store valuables?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back