Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt heaps safer walking alone in Vegas or NYC than I do in Melbourne.
Vegas is fine on the strip, but walk a few blocks off it and boy it changes.

Having said that I walked around everywhere even at night and never felt unsafe

On my trip to the States over Christmas, after a hockey game in Jersey took my mates towards where I thought the station was (thanks Google Maps), ended up walking straight downtown Newark. Few cop cars around & the majority of people african-american, we stood out like a sore thumb. Luckily enough nothing happened. Whilst we were worried, we kept to ourselves and quickly walked back to the Pru & got a cab back to Manhattan. One of the more frightening experiences of my life so far. (We were all 19-21)

Going back in June working at a Summer Camp & then traveling around for a while, going to the US Open & Vegas for a mates 21st.

How much is alcohol and food in the states?

As I took a loan out for this trip, my first port of call for money is the left over loan money.

Currently that'd be ~$133 a day.
But once 2 more flights, 2 more nights accommodation are taken care of (Will book in about 6-7 weeks now) then sporting events, I'd be looking at ~$80 a day off the loan money.
Would that be enough for food, drinks, a few taxi transfers etc.?

I am saving to the side as well and as I still have 20 weeks, I can easily save another $2k more, might even push 4-5k after tax refund (ontop of $800 I have atm). So I could have $300 a day if I really want to splurge, but keeping a few k to the side for another trip (or pay off 3-4k in hecs....) could be nice :)

How much is alcohol and food in the states?

As I took a loan out for this trip, my first port of call for money is the left over loan money.

Currently that'd be ~$133 a day.
But once 2 more flights, 2 more nights accommodation are taken care of (Will book in about 6-7 weeks now) then sporting events, I'd be looking at ~$80 a day off the loan money.
Would that be enough for food, drinks, a few taxi transfers etc.?

I am saving to the side as well and as I still have 20 weeks, I can easily save another $2k more, might even push 4-5k after tax refund (ontop of $800 I have atm). So I could have $300 a day if I really want to splurge, but keeping a few k to the side for another trip (or pay off 3-4k in hecs....) could be nice :)

It much cheaper than Australia but the quality is no way near as good as out produce.

It all depends on what you want to eat. You can get some very nice food at a sit down restaurant or you can get some very nasty food at a food mall. It's what and where you want to eat. You could easily do breakfast, lunch and dinner for under $50 a day.

The you have alcohol and that is very cheap. A carton (24) of beer is like $12 from most places and a bottle (stubby) would be like $2.49. It's very cheap. I'm not a drinker so I don't know the specifics but it's much cheaper than we have in Australia.

In most take away places - like food malls, you could get a good meal and an alcoholic beverage for under $10 a person. So your $80 a day would cover it.

2.99 for a 40oz (about 1.1 litre) bud light in indianapolis (I took a picture:))
Light beer?
May as well but xxxx.
It's as close to water as one can get.

Lite beer in the US indicates it is low calorie not low alcohol like here.

If your gonna go 40oz your better getting malt liquor like OE or St.Ides at about 8%.

Also a 6 pack cost $6-7 US in a supermarket.

If you have chance to go to Texas go by pass Houston (other than the Rothko Chapel and the LBJ Presidential Library) and get down to Austin - a fantastic university town where all the liberals in four cylinder cars hang out - some fantastic bars there

If your gonna go 40oz your better getting malt liquor like OE or St.Ides at about 8%.

In a Florida supermarket last year I found six packs of Sierra Nevada for $10.

This requirement to actually leave the entire continent of North America when a 90-day tourist visa expires (or ESTA visa waiver) is doing my head in. What are people who want to go straight to Canada after the States supposed to do? I plan on buying a plane ticket across the border for my 87th or 88th day in the US. Assumed this would be more than enough to satisfy them that I intend to leave?

Has anyone else had experience with doing something similar? Flying one-way into the US with plans to move on within North America?

Not necessarily. I remember drinking Corona lite over there after a guy convinced me it wasn't light beer, more low calorie. That night I googled Corona Lite a found it to be only 3.4% alcohol, to me that is light beer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This requirement to actually leave the entire continent of North America when a 90-day tourist visa expires (or ESTA visa waiver) is doing my head in. What are people who want to go straight to Canada after the States supposed to do? I plan on buying a plane ticket across the border for my 87th or 88th day in the US. Assumed this would be more than enough to satisfy them that I intend to leave?

Has anyone else had experience with doing something similar? Flying one-way into the US with plans to move on within North America?
As far as I know that's only for the USA. Canada doesn't require a VISA if you're from Australia on a holiday.

If you have a flight that leaves the USA within 90 days booked, there shouldn't be any issues at all. If you're there for 87/88 days they'll ask you a bit about how much money you have to support yourself I'd imagine.

Currently in Panama City Beach witnessing American spring break.... wow it is everything you see in the movies. The mating rituals of these creatures are quite funny, twerking is like saying 'hello'. A girl will happily grind up against a guy in a way that is only clothing material away from intercourse, but is 100x more selective who she will kiss (but still not all that selective).

Prior to PCB we spent a night in LA, 4 nights in Austin Texas and 2 nights in New Orleans. Austin is the bomb, the locals are amazingly friendly (we had offers from people to live at their house for free for as long as we want). New Orelans I don't see the need to ever visit again and will recommend to friends to skip it depending on how long they have...

So much I could say, proper review to come when I get home in April.

thought New Orleans was awesome tbh. Pretty dirty city but had a great time. Really unique city.

Was in PCB just before Spring Break, beaches were amazing. Really wished I went to Austin, have only heard good things about it. Always next time i guess.

If you plan to return to the USA on the ESTA Visa waiver then yes you must leave North America then return. Although if you spend 6 months in Canada then it might be different. I assume the rule is to stop people crossing the border for a few days and then returning for another 90 days.

Not necessarily. I remember drinking Corona lite over there after a guy convinced me it wasn't light beer, more low calorie. That night I googled Corona Lite a found it to be only 3.4% alcohol, to me that is light beer

You will find it is Corona Light while the American breweries use the word Lite. They sell it everywhere and it taste worst than the non Lite version.

If you plan to return to the USA on the ESTA Visa waiver then yes you must leave North America then return. Although if you spend 6 months in Canada then it might be different. I assume the rule is to stop people crossing the border for a few days and then returning for another 90 days.
I happened to spend 4 days in Toronto during my USA trip. When I came back into the USA from Toronto my 3 months was renewed. Leaving North America isn't a necessity.

That's a relief. Yeah, I don't intend on coming back to the US once I've left for Canada. A refundable/changeable air ticket to Canada should do the trick nicely.

You guys are going to The States and you're talking about swilling Corona :eek:

Get out of your comfort zones and link up with some of the best breweries in the world...........by the way: go to Yosemite.

This on all fronts. I've had 2 trips for a total of 6 weeks in the last 3 years and set myself a challenge each time to drink 50 different US beers - did it with ease (final count was ~110) and still didn't scratch the surface of their breweries. And Yosemite is stunning.

Grand Tetons go alright too
unu9ahug.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back