USA v Canada International Tournament 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: forthcoming series of exhibition matches (USA v Canada) scheduled for July 2014-

Can anyone shed any light on what to expect? Promotional material refers to 'NHL players'- but I don't expect to see Bergeron, Crosby etc. With the Winter Olympics and IIHF World Championships out of the way can we expect some competitive hockey?

Might see you there (Perth Arena). You had to choose a side when buying tix, so I went for Canada. Guess I'll be wearing my Edmontoronto Canadiques jersey.

Expect about 5 NHLers with the rest of the roster filled with ECHL and AHL scrubs.

The NHLers that came last time included Kyle Quincey (Canada captain), Zenon Konopka (USA captain, came to Australia, but didn't play due to injury), Eric Condra, Taylor Beck and ex-NHLer Bryan Muir. I maybe missing one more but if I am it is not a big name.

You won't see competitive hockey. The game is played in the spirit of an all-star game with little to no defence and hitting. Expect to see a cringe worthy 'staged' fight.

If you get tickets and go to the game in the mindset of seeing an exhibition all-star type game, I think you should have a good time. If you're expecting a olympic type physical game then you will be disappointed. Also in the foyer before the game there was a silent auction with very cool NHL collectables to bid on. Jerseys, sticks, Photo frames signed by the greats such as Gretzky, Crosby and a lot of current NHLers too. The game and NHL collectables is brought to Australia to raise money for charity "Stop Concussions" in which Keith Primeau is a co-founder.

So many times I've gone to purchase tickets to this, had them in cart, and just changed my mind. I think I want my first ice hockey experience to be an official NHL name. None of this USA V CANADA match that's not even officially sanctioned with a handful of NHL players were the score lines are 11- 9

I went to the Sydney game. Good atmosphere and a fun time if you don't go in expecting a Game 7-type contest. Good for the spectacle. Amazing to see 20,000+ in an Australian arena for a hockey game. I like the charity angle, and StopConcussions.com seems to be doing good work. Could've done without the staged fights, but, you know, I was happy to take what I got. Lots of goals, not much defence. I had fun.

I went to the Sydney game. Good atmosphere and a fun time if you don't go in expecting a Game 7-type contest. Good for the spectacle. Amazing to see 20,000+ in an Australian arena for a hockey game. I like the charity angle, and StopConcussions.com seems to be doing good work. Could've done without the staged fights, but, you know, I was happy to take what I got. Lots of goals, not much defence. I had fun.

I suppose that if you don't get to see hockey normally, it would be fun. 20k is pretty superb, and more than almost all NHL arenas!

I suppose that if you don't get to see hockey normally, it would be fun. 20k is pretty superb, and more than almost all NHL arenas!

I see hockey every year in America, Dec/Jan, but by July, I'm pretty much ready to have some more, so it's a nice fix to get me through!

I see hockey every year in America, Dec/Jan, but by July, I'm pretty much ready to have some more, so it's a nice fix to get me through!

Very lucky man!. I get Swiss hockey live 1-3 times per week, otherwise on the radio. I also have NHL Gamecenter for the Pens but was very lucky to attend three San Jose games in a row earlier this year.

...three losses, including to ******* Buffalo!

Very lucky man!. I get Swiss hockey live 1-3 times per week, otherwise on the radio. I also have NHL Gamecenter for the Pens but was very lucky to attend three San Jose games in a row earlier this year.

...three losses, including to ******* Buffalo!

The Rangers don't like me in the Garden. I'm 1-8 over the last two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Rangers don't like me in the Garden. I'm 1-8 over the last two years.

I was wearing my mate's unlucky Couture guernsey though; a Genève guernsey with Couture's name since he was one of our lockout players. Thought it was fitting at San Jose.

WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE? :D

Last time was terrible, don't waste your money.

Just got tickets to the Rod Laver one. Missus is Canadian and I've never seen a game so I think I'll enjoy it. Not obsessive about the sport so I wouldn't be too picky about the quality but will be good for something different for me. I suspect the majority of the people buying tickets would be similar to me.

They sure are asking alot of money though to be providing a bunch of part timers. $200 for a good seat seems a bit much

Just got tickets to the Rod Laver one. Missus is Canadian and I've never seen a game so I think I'll enjoy it. Not obsessive about the sport so I wouldn't be too picky about the quality but will be good for something different for me. I suspect the majority of the people buying tickets would be similar to me.

They sure are asking alot of money though to be providing a bunch of part timers. $200 for a good seat seems a bit much

Not part-timers. Pros, mostly. Just not all from the NHL.

Mate of mine is a mad NHL fan and he's swung tickets through his employer for us to go to the Melbourne game. I've watched about five minutes of ice hockey in my life (thanks to the Sochi Winter Olympics). Should I be depressed that most NHL players won't come or happy that there is ice hockey I can experience and (hopefully) enjoy?

Mate of mine is a mad NHL fan and he's swung tickets through his employer for us to go to the Melbourne game. I've watched about five minutes of ice hockey in my life (thanks to the Sochi Winter Olympics). Should I be depressed that most NHL players won't come or happy that there is ice hockey I can experience and (hopefully) enjoy?
This is the best position to be in, you won't realise just how bad the game is if you haven't seen much Ice Hockey before.

I have seen NHL games in San Jose, Denver and Vancouver, as well as a few Sheffield Steelers games in England.

Loved them all, but I don't get excited about international teams coming out for friendlies, no matter the sport.

5 NHLers has been annouced thus far Kyle Quincey, Zenon Konopka, Ian Cole, Brian Lee, Matt Kassian.
Austalia's Nathan Walker has also been annouced, he will play for USA team.

It will be interesting to see if Quincey and Konopka both come.

Konopka with his recent drug suspension, although this game I believe is not sanctioned so he might be OK.
Quincey is a impending free agent. He may not want to risk getting hurt in the offseason, if he doesnt have a contract with a NHL team.

Last edited:
Got tickets to Melbourne game as a birthday present - not expecting anything other than an exhibition match but should be something differnet anyway......

Any more news on who's coming out? Didn't get to go last year but heard it was pretty ordinary so surprised it's back, are we expecting better games this time around or your general exhibition game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back