2nds UWS GIANTS - NEAFL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Canberra clubs fear they could be kicked out of the NEAFL in favour of a composite side from the region, which could come into effect as early as next year.
But the move would require the approval of all four teams – Ainslie, Belconnen, Eastlake and Queanbeyan – which have three-year licences to play in the NEAFL until the end of 2016.
The Canberra Times believes the proposal caught the clubs by surprise at a meeting with league bosses in Canberra last week.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...m-the-neafl-20140718-zudn7.html#ixzz37o5A7AGr

Player|G|B|D|K|H|M|T|HO|DT
\M.Whiley|1|0|30|19|11|7|5|0|123
\J.Lamb|3|1|21|14|7|9|2|0|110
\C.McCarthy|3|3|15|12|3|8|4|0|102
\J.Stewart|2|0|23|15|8|7|1|0|100
\J.Giles|2|1|14|8|6|5|2|29|96
\T.Golds|0|0|19|12|7|4|8|0|92
\S.Reid|3|1|22|16|6|3|1|0|89
\K.Jaksch|1|0|18|13|5|6|3|0|86
\J.Townsend|1|0|21|12|9|1|5|0|82
\J.Finlayson|2|0|15|9|6|8|0|0|75
\A.Phillips|0|1|13|6|7|3|0|29|68
\M.Mattingly|1|0|12|10|2|4|3|0|67
\S.Frost|0|0|14|8|6|5|2|0|58
\L.Sumner|0|0|12|11|1|6|0|0|53
\H.Himmelberg|0|0|11|7|4|4|3|0|51
\J.Mudge|0|0|9|3|6|2|5|0|48
\A.Johnston|1|0|9|6|3|2|2|0|45
\D.Addison|0|0|10|8|2|4|0|1|41
\L.Hayres|0|0|8|5|3|3|2|0|35
\J.Irvine|0|0|9|5|4|4|0|0|35
\T.Downie|0|0|9|3|6|3|1|0|31
\C.Bance|1|1|7|4|3|1|0|0|28

Impressive game by Sydney Uni, I thought they would get a real touch up but 45 points is pretty good considering some of the beatings other sides have received at the end of the Giants. They actually had more possessions (353 to 321) than UWS.

Our boys clocked off halfway through the last and Uni kicked 4 or 5 in the last 10/15 minutes to make the scoreline more respectable. That said, though,they did better than many other teams we've played in the recent past so kudos to them for not laying down and fighting it out to the end.

Match report and interesting to see Downie named among the best while playing in defence:

An undermanned UWS GIANTS brought up their ninth consecutive win with a 48-point victory over the Sydney Hills Eagles at Blacktown International Sportspark.
UWS GIANTS coach Brett Hand said he was pleased with the win given they were forced to field 10 top-up players from the PM Capital GIANTS Academy,
“We met eight of our players for the first time on the day of the game so I was really impressed with how they went,” he said.
Big men Jon Giles, Tom Downie and James Stewart all impressed, while midfielder Mark Whiley was dominant around stoppages.
“The game plan was stripped back to keep things simple and our experienced players like Jon Giles, Dylan Addison and Sam Reid really stood up and helped the younger blokes,” Hand said.
“It shows we have good depth heading towards finals so it’s good to know guys can come in and play a role for the team.”
Hand said Downie had one of his best games for the club after playing a defensive role on Eagles spearhead, Jamie Vlatko.
“For a ruckman playing as a key defender at the moment it was pleasing to see him take some marks and create some spoils.”
The UWS GIANTS remain on top of the NEAFL ladder, sitting just ahead of NT Thunder on percentage.
Next Saturday the UWS GIANTS face Queanbeyan at Dairy Farmers Park in Canberra.

UWS GIANTS 14.18 (102) defeated Hills Eagles 8.6 (54)

Best: T. Downie , J. Giles , M. Whiley , N. Wilson , J. Lamb , J. Stewart
Goals:
D. Spinks 2, J. Stewart 2, J. Lamb 2, A. Phillips 2, S. Reid, D. Biermann , M.Whiley , J. Giles , K. Merson , M. McKelvie

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-08-04/uws-giants-roll-on#sthash.nD8clGNS.dpuf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did the top ups go, any future stars, and will any suit in the coming finals.

Didn't see the game, couple of them kicked goals so that can't be too bad. I have no idea how they choose the top ups, you see some names in the reports more than others throughout the year. Will they play finals? Probably. With the senior side being so depleted at the moment we'll need cover in the twos and that means top ups. It also means less chance of winning the thing because of the fact you are only meeting half your team on the morning of the game and your better,more consistent players who got us there are playing elsewhere. Ok to use that many instant top ups in a home and away against a mid table side, but a final? You need a bit more gelling time than that.

Not sure if he played on the weekend, but I like our top up in Tom Faul. Looks to go ok.

Three teams to leave the NEAFL: The NEAFL competition will be restructured in 2015, with three clubs opting not to renew their licenses.
The AFL has today announced several changes to the format of the North East Australian Football League (NEAFL), as part of the ongoing process to ensure long-term focus on increased competition standard and enhanced talent pathways remains the foremost priority of the league.
http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[year]=2014&tx_ttnews[month]=08&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1825&cHash=2fdf325be238eb51409d1491e68b7e97

With the 1's in Melbourne for Round 19, my Dad and I went along to Blacktown for the 2's game against Hills Eagles. Wasn't a terribly flash game but like many people have noted, Top Ups. A young fella, Darcy Spinks from Ainsle, kicked 2 goals and showed some real promise. He is a solid nugget of a player with some nice skill and the strength the hold his own. It was great to see some fresh blood getting a run and it must have been a bit of a buzz for them to play in a side only one step away from AFL level.

Match Report:
The UWS GIANTS are just one win away from a guaranteed preliminary final berth after defeating Queanbeyan in Canberra by 37 points.

The GIANTS remain on top of the NEAFL ladder and will secure a week-off in the first round of finals if they can win one of their two remaining matches against Swans Reserves and Brisbane Lions Reserves.

The UWS GIANTS led from start to finish against Queanbeyan with defender Curtly Hampton pushing his claim for a senior recall after successfully returning from injury.

“It was a solid game from Curtly and good to see him get through after the shoulder injury he had,” UWS GIANTS coach Brett Hand said.

“Curtly played on ball a little bit and was really good in defence. He got through the game unscathed which is what he needed to do.”

Veteran Stephen Gilham wound back the clock with six goals while Mark Whiley continued his great season with another exceptional performance in the midfield.

“We moved Gilham forward this week to give us a target and he presented really well,” Hand said.

“Whiley’s contested work around stoppages was very good again and Nathan Wilson was fantastic providing drive from the backline.”

Hand said ruckmen Andrew Phillips and Jon Giles were also dominant around the ground.

The UWS GIANTS clash with their cross-town rivals Swans Reserves from 10am this Saturday at the SCG.

Last time the sides met it was the GIANTS who ran out 43-point winners.

UWS GIANTS 17.12 (114) def. Queanbeyan 11.11 (77)

Best Players: M. Whiley , A. Phillips , N. Wilson , S. Gilham , C. Hampton , J. Finlayson
Goal Kickers:
S. Gilham 6, J. Finlayson 2, M. Whiley 2, M. Flynn 2, A. Phillips , N. Wilson , K. Merson , J. Giles , J. Stewart

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-08-11/prelim-beckons-for-uws-giants#sthash.IRvlTJv2.dpuf

Canberra clubs fear they could be kicked out of the NEAFL in favour of a composite side from the region, which could come into effect as early as next year.
But the move would require the approval of all four teams – Ainslie, Belconnen, Eastlake and Queanbeyan – which have three-year licences to play in the NEAFL until the end of 2016.
The Canberra Times believes the proposal caught the clubs by surprise at a meeting with league bosses in Canberra last week.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...m-the-neafl-20140718-zudn7.html#ixzz37o5A7AGr

Did I read somewhere that Queanbeyan has handed in its license - too expensive to compete at the increasing standard of the NEAFL - I suppose that's one step closer to a single Canberra stand alone NEAFL team.
Streamlines the NEAFL but if the talent can be collected, then they would form a pretty strong side (thinking Thunder)

I think the Hills Eagles and one of the QLD sides have handed their licenses back too, which just weakens the comp all round.

Did I read somewhere that Queanbeyan has handed in its license - too expensive to compete at the increasing standard of the NEAFL - I suppose that's one step closer to a single Canberra stand alone NEAFL team.
Streamlines the NEAFL but if the talent can be collected, then they would form a pretty strong side (thinking Thunder)

I think the Hills Eagles and one of the QLD sides have handed their licenses back too, which just weakens the comp all round.

Belconnen was the other team. That's what, just Ainslie and Eastlakes from the ACT?

Great to see the reserves going well, gives the supporters a lot of hope for the years ahead. Any idea what the system for finals is? and what are the player qualifications both for the topups and those who have primarily played AFL? Although I am guessing they wouldn't want them playing too many games for the youngsters and as well the seniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back