2nds UWS GIANTS - NEAFL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Howdy ho neighbourinos. Just dropping in my quick thoughts

Whiley got a ton of the ball, easily the most for your group. Strange how he can be a ball magnet at NEAFL level but turns into a tackling machine at AFL level.
Sumner very elusive starting out of the forward 50 and pushing towards the wing. He was one of the main guilty parties in kicking so many behinds, I think he finished with 4 behinds.
Corr and Jaksch controlled the key defensive posts well for most of the day
McCarthy is a fierce competitor with the long hair and hair band, spent some time on Membrey and did well.
Wilson did much better today than in the last meeting, kicked the goal of the day too with a two bounce 50m punt through the corridor.
Lamb played more midfield today but was quiet, will have hurt his chances of breaking into the seniors.
Tomlinson was a beast, played wing for most of the day, with some time as the loose man in defence in the 2nd quarter, ran everywhere up and down the ground. He's way too good for this level but I don't know how you'll fit him into your seniors.
Buntine okay, got a lot of handball receives as the go to man out of defence.
Williams and Barrett both generated a lot of shots at goal. Williams more of an outside runner and Barrett a lot of time in the centre square.
Boyd much more quiet today, didn't seem to have the ball kicked to him as much as in the last meeting. Spend a short time in the ruck.

Match report
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-04-07/uws-giants-defeat-swans

The UWS GIANTS completed a clean sweep for the club on the weekend with an eight-point win over the Swans at Spotless Stadium.

The UWS GIANTS stormed home over their cross-town rivals yesterday in the first of two wins for the club.

UWS GIANTS coach Brett Hand commended his players for fighting back from a 13-point deficit at three-quarter time.

“We showed a lot of resilience and composure to stand up and control the play in the final term,” Hand said.

“The conditions were pretty ugly and we missed a few shots on goal but the fact we’re getting the ball up forward proves our game plan is working.

“Our solid fitness base is starting to show and our mental capacity is stronger than it was this time last year.”

Hand said defender Kristian Jaksch was impressive across half-back and Tim Golds, who celebrated his 21st birthday yesterday, used the ball extremely well.

Mark Whiley, Liam Sumner and Aidan Corr were the other standouts from the match.

GIANTS big-men Tom Downie, Tom Boyd and James Stewart stood up in the dying minutes and kicked crucial goals to secure the win.

The UWS GIANTS don’t have long to prepare for their next match; they face Belconnen in Canberra on Saturday, April 12.

The GWS GIANTS are also playing in the nation’s capital, taking on the Western Bulldogs at StarTrack Oval on Saturday at 4.40pm.

UWS GIANTS 3.3 4.9 6.16 11.20 (86)
Swans reserves 2.1 6.3 10.5 12.6 (78)

Best Players: K. Jaksch, T. Golds, M. Whiley, A. Corr, L. Sumner, N. Wilson

Goal Kickers: J. Stewart 2, J. Barrett , T. Boyd , R. Lobb , M. Whiley , T. Golds , J. Lamb , A. Phillips , T. Downie , N. Wilson

How do the top up players work? Where do they get them from? How many games can they play before we should put them on a rookie contract? Jeremy Finlayson seems to be a regular name I keep noticing. What's his story? The acadamy is under 16 right? Too young for NEAFL? Even in a bit role?

How do the top up players work? Where do they get them from? How many games can they play before we should put them on a rookie contract? Jeremy Finlayson seems to be a regular name I keep noticing. What's his story? The acadamy is under 16 right? Too young for NEAFL? Even in a bit role?
The academy goes up to u18s, so the state champs side is made up mostly (if not all) of Giants and Swans academy players.

I think a few academy players like Finlayson play club footy for Hills Eagles, and they all pretty much get called up when needed. Guys like Redfern and Williams in the past I believe moved up to Sydney in their u18 year with the academy and played most of the year with the NEAFL side.

When the u18 championships are on I think UWS calls on younger players from local sides, for example Dimery last year (21yo from Hills)

Match report Canberra times:

GWS Giants 18.20 (128) to Belconnen 2.11 (23)

Greater Western Sydney forward Tom Boyd might be touted as an AFL star of the future, but it was Belconnen youngster Logan Austin's job on him that caught Magpies coach Jeremy Rowe's eye.

The Magpies were on the end of their second hiding of the NEAFL season, going down to a relentless GWS Giants reserves 18.20 (128) to 2.11 (23) at Kippax Oval on Saturday.

While Rowe said Belconnen was embarrassed in their its opener against Aspley, he was much happier with the endeavour against the Giants.

Belconnen was in the contest from the first contest, but the Giants midfield got on top early and ground down the Magpies on their way to a 105-point victory.

Rowe was unwilling to write off the season and equally unwilling to say the return of Mulrooney medallist James Bennett (groin) would be a panacea.

Much has been made of the improvement throughout the competition, with some concern about whether the Canberra clubs would be left behind.

But Rowe felt his side was starting to improve.

"The first sign of weakness in a footy club is when you say everything is going to be OK when one or two guys come back. We've got to really push the whole group to improve so that when these guys come back from long-term injuries, they're not expected to change the whole fortune of the group," he said.

Rowe said after quarter-time the Giants started to be able to move the ball into their forward 50 much more quickly.

But he was still impressed with Austin's efforts in restricting Boyd to three goals.

"With Boyd being a professional athlete that's going to have a really good AFL career, we were quite happy with the effort that Logan Austin put forth on him," Rowe said.

"He's still involved as an over-ager in the [NSW-ACT] Rams program ... him and Jack Steele are two guys that still have an eye to a career in footy and they've certainly both got tools that make that gettable."

Queanbeyan's game against the Sydney Swans on Sunday has been moved to Blacktown, while Ainslie will host Eastlake at Alan Ray Oval later in the day.

NEAFL ROUND THREE

Belconnen 0.7 1.7 1.10 2.11 (23)

UWS Giants 1.3 6.14 11.17 18.20 (128)

Goals - Belconnen: J. Taylor 2; Giants: T. Boyd 3, S. Reid 2, J. Mudge 2, D. Addison , J. Stewart , J. Barrett , J. Finlayson , K. Jaksch , A. Corr , T. Downie , Z. Williams , C. Mccarthy , J. Cornell , J. O''Rourke.

Best - Belconnen: J. Harper, R. Turnbull, J. Rowe, C. Jansen, D. Hector, J. Taylor
Giants: J. O''Rourke, A. Phillips, M. Whiley, M. Buntine, T. Boyd, D. Addison.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-thrashing-20140412-zqty5.html#ixzz2yfbc6p2m

Was at the NEAFL game.
Impressions;
1. Over the whole ground, Giants were at least half a head taller than opposition, (Jaksch's opponent could easily have run under his chin)
2. More interesting in the first half, a strong wind evened up the sides. After half time it was all one way.
3. Jono O'Rourke had an eye catching display. He roved very well to his dominant (and always surprisingly mobile) big men Sauce and Downie. I would say he is poised rather than pacy, not a tackle machine like some others. Hope he can get a run in the firsts at some stage, perhaps if Bugg is ever injured.
4. Boyd and Stewart still a way off. McCarthy impresses, Lobb didn't play, Williams ready to go.

With the seniors not playing in Sydney for 6 weeks it might have been a good opportunity to fill in the gap with a NEAFL home game at BISP, have a proper chance to see the boys. But the run from here is Bye, Metricon, Manuka, ANZ (swans curtain raiser), Bye, Metricon (AGAIN), Manuka (AGAIN) Spotless against the Thunder when the Seniors are back.

I would have even gone to Bruce Purser to see them play the eagles. But there's not a real opportunity to see Giants play (of any kind) for 6 weeks.

Missed an opportunity there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the seniors not playing in Sydney for 6 weeks it might have been a good opportunity to fill in the gap with a NEAFL home game at BISP, have a proper chance to see the boys. But the run from here is Bye, Metricon, Manuka, ANZ (swans curtain raiser), Bye, Metricon (AGAIN), Manuka (AGAIN) Spotless against the Thunder when the Seniors are back.

I would have even gone to Bruce Purser to see them play the eagles. But there's not a real opportunity to see Giants play (of any kind) for 6 weeks.

Ichy,
it's a frustration that a lot of us NEAFL fans feel - the fixture is skewed so that nearly all the away games are against out-of-town teams, and the home games are curtain raisers to AFL games. So you only get two chances, and that means going to BISP later on.

The NEAFL is a development league, not one that is meant to attract and nurture a fan base. They don't make it easy to watch AFL reserve teams in action

Go to ANZ to watch them play Swans reserves?

Go to ANZ to watch them play Swans reserves?

Wouldn't you need a ticket for the main game for that? Pretty sure if I showed my Giants membership card at the gate they'd laugh at me and ask me to buy a ticket. Not even remotely interested in buying a ticket to see the swans v hawks.

Wouldn't you need a ticket for the main game for that? Pretty sure if I showed my Giants membership card at the gate they'd laugh at me and ask me to buy a ticket. Not even remotely interested in buying a ticket to see the swans v hawks.
Twice I've bought GWS game tickets to watch the Swans reserves play. Each to their own I guess.

Well I don't think there is coverage, but it's pretty lame the GWS twitter doesn't have any updates for the game.

Well I don't think there is coverage, but it's pretty lame the GWS twitter doesn't have any updates for the game.
Looks like @NEAFL_QLD_NT will at least have quarter-by-quarter scores.

Whiley 15 touches in the 1st qtr, UWS leading 3.6 to 0.3.

GC Suns board has some updates but not mentioning any GWS player names.

Giants 9.11.65
Suns 2.3.15

Half time.

Twitter update says Mark Whiley 23 possessions and 2 goals at half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back