V.F.A in the 80's

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread about great VFA memories. Started watching VFA in 1967 when John Peck moved from Hawks to Port. Pecky was genuinely hard. I think he went nuts in the 67 GF, got rubbed out for ages and never played again. Used to hang around with a few Port lads in the mid 80s and reckon Kevn Goss was one of the scariest blokes I ever knew. Even the legendary Buster Harland was s**t scared of him and they were on the same team!

How many games did John play?

e said he played around 80ish I think. The only bit of footage we found of him was in the grand final and he reckons he tore his hamstring early in the game. He also played a bit of cricket for Prahran as well.

Sandringham,Port,Preston Oakleigh,Dandenong,Prahran,Coburg Williamstown,Frankston all got very good crowds when they were winning

A good H & A crowd would have been 10 -12000 average about 4 - 5000

A few like the first Sunday game at Brunswick 1961 got a lot more (the VFL cancelled all games the day before due to bad weather) Nobody knows the actual crowd number for that game as it was by donation of a coin but the Sun News Pictorial had an aerial shot of the ground and the Gillon Oval was full - maybe 20,000 + Brunswick in their 1930s heyday would get 20,000 on a regular basis and their ground could easily hold a crowd of that size.

The GFs at the Junction Oval quite often got over 30,000, 1945 39,00 1949 40,000 1951 38,000 1952 39,500 1953 40,000 the reason for these packed GFs was that the VFA played their GF a week after the VFL GF and even though it was televised live during the 1970 - 80s there would be a big crowd at the GF.

The largest crowd ever was for a VFA GF was played at the MCG 1939 48,568 Williamstown V Brunswick
And apparently neither club made much money from such a large attendance & therefore the VFA decided they would not play another GF at the MCG.

Sandringham,Port,Preston Oakleigh,Dandenong,Prahran,Coburg Williamstown,Frankston all got very good crowds when they were winning

Some of the higher crowd numbers in the 70s glory era were a bit 'artificial'. Between the late 60s and early 80s the VFL was banned by the Vic government from playing games on Sundays so the VFA owned the day and crowds and TV broadcasts reflected that. When the VFL/AFL found their work around of moving the Swans to Sydney it was all over.

Gezza I have watched some of your youtube videos and they are fantastic! Great viewing. My old man played for Prahran in the late 70's and the only footage I see of him is in the locker rooms having a beer after the grand final!

Was he a copper. Half the team were in those days.

Some of the higher crowd numbers in the 70s glory era were a bit 'artificial'. Between the late 60s and early 80s the VFL was banned by the Vic government from playing games on Sundays so the VFA owned the day and crowds and TV broadcasts reflected that. When the VFL/AFL found their work around of moving the Swans to Sydney it was all over.

Those were the days when the horse racing fraternity came en masse to the VFA. You will find that some of the bookies were benefactors to the clubs.

Those were the days when the horse racing fraternity came en masse to the VFA. You will find that some of the bookies were benefactors to the clubs.

Yeah. There were heaps of reasons why the VFA was as 'popular' as it was, but most people just assume that crowds of 10,000+ plus were normal and natural and their demise the result of the evils of the VFL/AFL. They nostalgically wish for those days back. They forget that the VFA introduced Sunday footy in the 60s and were not just the only league playing, but also there was no Sunday shopping well in the 80s, and the VFA was often the only place you could get buy booze.

Yeah. There were heaps of reasons why the VFA was as 'popular' as it was, but most people just assume that crowds of 10,000+ plus were normal and natural and their demise the result of the evils of the VFL/AFL. They nostalgically wish for those days back. They forget that the VFA introduced Sunday footy in the 60s and were not just the only league playing, but also there was no Sunday shopping well in the 80s, and the VFA was often the only place you could get buy booze.

What's with the inverted commas? The VFA was popular. It just wasn't as popular as the VFL.

There were a number of reasons why the VFA fell apart, some of them self inflicted, some of them nothing to do with football. But the VFL used their clout several times over the years to run roughshod over the Association.

What's with the inverted commas? The VFA was popular. It just wasn't as popular as the VFL.

There were a number of reasons why the VFA fell apart, some of them self inflicted, some of them nothing to do with football. But the VFL used their clout several times over the years to run roughshod over the Association.

The inverted commas is about suggesting the idea that there was a great rusted-on following of the VFA is a bit of a myth.

The VFA had a 20-year window where they exploited government legislation and some TV broadcasting laws to bump up crowds. Vic Government legislation existed that basically made it illegal for the VFL and the VFA to compete head-to-head in the 70s. With no Sunday shopping and limited entertainment options the VFA was the only ticket in town.
Brunswick and Coburg drew a crowd of 17,000 in 1960, but it was the first ever Sunday game and the VFL was not allowed to operate on Sundays. The moment fans got the chance to follow the VFL on Sundays, or watch VFL on TV they dropped off their second teams in the VFA.

Once the leagues competed head to head and fans got to choose between the AFL the VFL. People preferred to stay at home and watch two teams they didn't support play an AFL game than go and watch a VFL match.

A lot of people remember the glory days without remembering why it was glorious.

And the large reason it declined was because very few of the people going to games were real fans of the clubs. So much so that the moment people could watch Swans games on TV instead in 82, the VFA was basically dead without a commercial TV partner and no ratings by 86. In 1983 there were 24 teams, by 1989 there were 15, by 1995 only 9.

The inverted commas is about suggesting the idea that there was a great rusted-on following of the VFA is a bit of a myth.

The VFA had a 20-year window where they exploited government legislation and some TV broadcasting laws to bump up crowds. Vic Government legislation existed that basically made it illegal for the VFL and the VFA to compete head-to-head in the 70s. With no Sunday shopping and limited entertainment options the VFA was the only ticket in town.
Brunswick and Coburg drew a crowd of 17,000 in 1960, but it was the first ever Sunday game and the VFL was not allowed to operate on Sundays. The moment fans got the chance to follow the VFL on Sundays, or watch VFL on TV they dropped off their second teams in the VFA.

Once the leagues competed head to head and fans got to choose between the AFL the VFL. People preferred to stay at home and watch two teams they didn't support play an AFL game than go and watch a VFL match.

A lot of people remember the glory days without remembering why it was glorious.

And the large reason it declined was because very few of the people going to games were real fans of the clubs. So much so that the moment people could watch Swans games on TV instead in 82, the VFA was basically dead without a commercial TV partner and no ratings by 86. In 1983 there were 24 teams, by 1989 there were 15, by 1995 only 9.

Not quite true as the VFA teams did represent a city and region (quite often much larger than the inner city VFLs) some VFA teams did have large locaL followings esp Sandringham and Oakleigh later on Morrabbin and Dandenong

The older clubs like the inner suburban ones were always at the mercy of the VFL
as both comps were playing on Saturdays and if say Carlton played at home when Brunswiuck was also it took people away from the VFA club

Still clubs like Brunswick, Williamstown,Coburg and Preston did have good followings and could get crowds of over 20,000 during the 1930s
Port Melb also suffered somewhat being so close to South Melb but still had a good local following

I attended plenty of matches in the 70s and there was nothing artificial about any of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make it sound like people were forced to go and watch vfa footy.... Not exactly true at all. Decent crowds attended vfa footy right up to its demise. It was actually these "rusted on followers" who kept it going bc the younger generation spent Sundays watching Sydney play and you have conveniently ignored that Sunday matches in melb started up mid 80's. I would argue that to get approx 30000 people to attend any code of a 2nd tier sport in a city the size of melb week after week is going okay. Money killed the vfa, more so thru lack of sponsorship than attendances.

You make it sound like people were forced to go and watch vfa footy.... Not exactly true at all. Decent crowds attended vfa footy right up to its demise. It was actually these "rusted on followers" who kept it going bc the younger generation spent Sundays watching Sydney play and you have conveniently ignored that Sunday matches in melb started up mid 80's. I would argue that to get approx 30000 people to attend any code of a 2nd tier sport in a city the size of melb week after week is going okay. Money killed the vfa, more so thru lack of sponsorship than attendances.
What I can Remember is that the then VFL (AFL) went to great steps to put the VFA back It instigated the commodore cup for reserve VFL, games played at the South Melbourne Football Ground Televised live on Channel Seven.
Bit by bit the Media and the VFL it would appear to apply the handbrake on the momentum that the VFA had achieved.
Contributing to the decline is that football clubs sometimes get in to financial difficulty ie Geelong West Preston Dandenong ect however the VFA did not have deep pockets like the VFL Clubs
Irrespective the VFA was entertaining innovative and unfortunately the VFL now AFL has appeared to ensure that it has been consigned to history.
The new or current VFL is gradually reverting back to an AFL Vic Reserves comp, marvelous now that a lot of the older AFL Grounds have been refurbed with Govt Gants nee Footscray Richmond ect
Football Heritage should be preserved therefore go the Boroughs, Seagulls Congratulations should be given to Hawthorn and Box Hill on a successful and meaningful alignment

What I can Remember is that the then VFL (AFL) went to great steps to put the VFA back It instigated the commodore cup for reserve VFL, games played at the South Melbourne Football Ground Televised live on Channel Seven.
Bit by bit the Media and the VFL it would appear to apply the handbrake on the momentum that the VFA had achieved.
Contributing to the decline is that football clubs sometimes get in to financial difficulty ie Geelong West Preston Dandenong ect however the VFA did not have deep pockets like the VFL Clubs
Irrespective the VFA was entertaining innovative and unfortunately the VFL now AFL has appeared to ensure that it has been consigned to history.
The new or current VFL is gradually reverting back to an AFL Vic Reserves comp, marvelous now that a lot of the older AFL Grounds have been refurbed with Govt Gants nee Footscray Richmond ect
Football Heritage should be preserved therefore go the Boroughs, Seagulls Congratulations should be given to Hawthorn and Box Hill on a successful and meaningful alignment
What ultimately saved a number of VFL clubs was the licence fees paid by the respective owners/operators of the West Coast Eagles & Brisbane Bears upon their admission to the VFL competition. This combined with the VFL deciding to offer TV broadcast rights to the highest bidder in 1987, rather than automatically giving them to Channel 7, gave the VFL a nice little pot of cash to distribute among the battling clubs. Unfortunately VFA clubs could not rely on substantial licence fees from new teams to prop them up financially, nor could they rely on a windfall from broadcast deals.

It is worth noting that just as crowd numbers were dropping off in the VFA, so was the case in the VFL where teams like Fitzroy, South Melbourne, Footscray & Melbourne were regularly playing games in front of crowds of 10-15k.

I have memories of my dad occasionally taking my brothers and I along to Geelong West Oval for the last quarter (when it was free to get in) ... circa late-70s/early-80s. I remember banging on the metal signage on the fence after a goal. Good times. :)

My other enduring memory of the VFA was the inevitable lopsided scoreline. Every week, seemingly without fail, at least one team got absolutely hammered (eg. 220-40).

Have great memories from the VFA in the 80's. Lived 5 minutes from Willy's ground and my brother and I would go watch training whenever we could. Fotheringham was a hero to us, back to back 100 goal seasons. Then the Wheeler and Round years were great aswell. The footballers looked like giants to us back then. I remember one game at Willy and Phil Cleary got sent off, he was a dirty player :D

The best game of football I've seen was the 1990 grand final, epic. I lost interest a bit when we started to be aligned with AFL clubs, losing our identity somewhat. I go regularly now whenever I can. It just isn't the same as it was. Rose coloured glasses and all that I suppose.

Some of the players from other clubs who's stood out to me form the good old days.
Preston- Jamie Shaw, John Bourke , Shane Halas, Tony Russell, Gratz Salvador, Joe Lumicisi, Ray Shaw (Go Bullants!!)
Coburg - Phil Cleary, Brad Nimmo, Gary Halbert, Geoff Angwin , Robert Evans, Ken Ingram, Billy Kaakour.
Port Melb- Fred Cook, Ian Cooper, Tony Ebeyer, Brendan Kavanagh, Greg Dermott, Vic Annenson, Gary Brice.
Williamstown- Terry Wheeler, Barry Round , Saade Ghazi, Mark Fotheringham, Ian Rickman, Kym Kershaw.
Sandringham- Rex Hunt, Ken Mansfield , Ross Brewer, Peter Fitzpatrick.
Brunswick- Barry Nolan, Mark Jacko Jackson, Steve Parsons, Colin Baker.
Geelong West- Joe Radojovic, Fraser Murphy,
Frankston- Peter Geddes, Mark Czarnecki, ?? Boyd , Walsh, Cain

Hope those names jolted a few memories for some. next post I will put up some of my old Vfa Stories.

Williamstown- Joskun (Jack) Aziz then obviously Werribee
Coburg- Vinnie Tarranto

Have great memories from the VFA in the 80's. Lived 5 minutes from Willy's ground and my brother and I would go watch training whenever we could. Fotheringham was a hero to us, back to back 100 goal seasons. Then the Wheeler and Round years were great aswell. The footballers looked like giants to us back then. I remember one game at Willy and Phil Cleary got sent off, he was a dirty player :D

The best game of football I've seen was the 1990 grand final, epic. I lost interest a bit when we started to be aligned with AFL clubs, losing our identity somewhat. I go regularly now whenever I can. It just isn't the same as it was. Rose coloured glasses and all that I suppose.
Some of my all time best footy memories watching vfa finals during the 80's with willy my favourite team with so many stars at the time,I will never forget 15 yo Ron James playing in a grand final then tragically losing his life in skiing accident a few years later.

Some of my all time best footy memories watching vfa finals during the 80's with willy my favourite team with so many stars at the time,I will never forget 15 yo Ron James playing in a grand final then tragically losing his life in skiing accident a few years later.
Yeah mate a sad loss at such a young age.

Dandenong had some handy players back then. Paddy Flaherty, Danny Hibbert, Eddie Melai, Vaughn Ellis, Neville Esler, Ray Davies (not of the Kinks fame), Ray Orchard. I followed Williamstown but my grandparents followed Dandenong because they knew Frosty Miller when he was growing up, so whenever Dandenong were on TV & we were visiting the grandparents, we had to sit & watch them & particularly keep an eye out for Miller.

I loved Herman Van Der Beek just because his name was Herman.

You could add Alan Harper, David Drosher, Bill Thompson and Lew Wright a bit later.

Bring back the old VFA

I despise all the rule changes in the AFL and would love to see the old VFA back playing 'proper rules' - no frees for hands in the back or chopping the arms, actually paying dtb.

2 reserves and 2 interchange, wear 'em out so they can't flood (not as fit as AFL players anyway) and don't let them kick it in before the goal umpire has finished waving the flags!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back