VAFA finals venues

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot honestly believe that the grounds for finals are not organised and released yet. Would be nice for teams to know what ground they were looking at playing on in the finals. Big difference the size of the grounds and this can certainly change game styles.

When is it expected to be out? Surely in the 11 months since the last finals series the Vafa could have worked this out? starting to seem like many of the fixtures.

Plums they can hide behind a whole range of excuses for not releasing the venues etc and to wait and see who is in the finals should not be one of them, this is not a geographical competition like all others so clubs travel many miles to play so it should not be held up waiting for the outcome of home and away games. Why couldn't they just say that all A and B grade finals are at E park, C grade at Sandy, D grade at Casey and if a venue that has been used in previous years is not available then use the likes of Mordialloc and a whole host of other grounds that are available in Melbourne. All other leagues have decided on venues and in some cases months ago ( SFL). Yes the VAFA have many more divisions to sort out but they also have many more staff members and volunteers......

Good point Bedford, but I reckon the SFL have a few clubs in the Glen Eira patch too and they get their finals venues out in June. Im sorry but the VAFA are overpaid and they do not produce. Not saying that a comparison should be made with any other league but at the very least they can announce A and B Grade at E Park and C grade with Sandy and I don't reckon it would be hard to find 4 other grounds to hold a few more divisions in. If they say that they want to wait to see who gets in due to the travel then when has that been a factor in the VAFA when as you know you could travel to Lake Peninsula one week and Williamstown the next during the home and away series....

It doesn't make sense though to hold a finals series with 4 teams all near each other down the South East for example and then play the games at St Bernards...

I do also know when it comes to councils from trying to organise cricket finals they are very hard to do if one of the teams isn't actually from that municipality

Yes good point Eddie re: councils only wanting to support clubs in their region. But they better move quickly as I have heard that a number of councils have planned to quarantine the ovals from the last home and away game to the start of cricket season to prepare grounds as due to the wet weather this year a lot of grounds are in need of significant repair..

It doesn't make sense though to hold a finals series with 4 teams all near each other down the South East for example and then play the games at St Bernards...

I do also know when it comes to councils from trying to organise cricket finals they are very hard to do if one of the teams isn't actually from that municipality

I'd assume top team get preference on near by grounds?

Therry Penola played Yarra Valley in Division 2 grand final last year at Highgate in Craigieburn.

Fair to say D1 finals might be held there this season too.

I'd assume top team get preference on near by grounds?

Therry Penola played Yarra Valley in Division 2 grand final last year at Highgate in Craigieburn.

Fair to say D1 finals might be held there this season too.

I remember a couple of years back when it was Werribee and Rupertswood top 2 in D1 they played out at St Bernards, they may have actually played the 1st semi final though somewhere else as those 2 teams were on the other side of town?

How about this? Rough cut

A - ep
B - ep (1st sf at sandy for overflow)
C - sandy
D1 - coburg or bernards (reflective of therry and willy)
D2 - casey?
D3 - central res?
D4 - box hill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in regards to week 1 of Premier C finals, where will the 1st & 2nd Semi Finals be played at, and on what day-Saturday or Sunday?

So from this I'm taking it that div 4 will be played at bulleen- templestowe. Good spot since hawthorn, west Brunswick, Canterbury, and manningham all around this area. But will it change if westbound sneak into 4th spot in the last rd

Council problems with Monash Council...no Central Reserve still. Still waiting on Scammell and Clayton.

Only 2 games a weekend at Sandringham.

Casey Fields
Northcote Park (first 2 weeks)
Parade College
Craigieburn
Bulleen-Templestowe

and Headquarters.
Seemed the operative word from Benny's piece was "uncertainty". Bit of a dogs breakfast as we speak.

Hearing of the problems that the VAFA had of securing grounds for its finals as outlined by Benny Goodman on the 88.3 Southern FM's 'VAFA Sunday' program, makes me wonder where is the Minster for Local Government?

This problem should've been sorted out as early as April/May. Next year the VFA should start negotiating with metro Melbourne councils for the use of their main venues for the finals right from the start of the year, and have them locked in and announced 8-10 weeks from the finals. If a council(s) doesn't allow the VAFA to let them use their venue, then the VAFA must consider asking the State Minister for Local Government (regardless of who wins the next Victorian Election) to intervene in the matter and force the council to give up their ground-irrespective of getting ready for cricket-to be used by the VAFA.

Possible scenario
A-B Sportscover
C Casey Fields
D1 Craigieburn
D2 Sandringham
D3 Northcote Park first 2 weeks, Casey Fields Sunday finals 3rd and 4th week
D4 Bulleen-Templestowe
U/19 Premier U/19 2 and Colts either Central Reserve or Scammell Reserve
U/19 3, North and South Parade College

If the ammos are smart C section will be at Sandringham, with Hampton and Parkdale both playing finals the crowds will be massive at trevor barker. If they were to be played at casey then they could probably half the crowd due to locals and blow ins not venturing down because of distance.

Possible scenario
A-B Sportscover
C Casey Fields
D1 Craigieburn
D2 Sandringham
D3 Northcote Park first 2 weeks, Casey Fields Sunday finals 3rd and 4th week
D4 Bulleen-Templestowe
U/19 Premier U/19 2 and Colts either Central Reserve or Scammell Reserve
U/19 3, North and South Parade College
I wouldn't be surprised to see last-minute changes to finals venues. At least at Premier-Premier B level there's no worries about where the finals are at (Sportscover Arena). It's in Premier C right down to U/19s that the VAFA have major headaches and burning the midnight oil just working out where the hell to stage these games. And yet, the SFL have already announced their venues for the finals...10 WEEKS AGO!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see last-minute changes to finals venues. At least at Premier-Premier B level there's no worries about where the finals are at (Sportscover Arena). It's in Premier C right down to U/19s that the VAFA have major headaches and burning the midnight oil just working out where the hell to stage these games. And yet, the SFL have already announced their venues for the finals...10 WEEKS AGO!!
Being a comparatively small comp their issues are infinitesimal compared to ours. Plus, they fairly much use the same handful of venues every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back